Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 17, 2002, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Ok, I'll leave you alone!

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
"any object above the level of the top of the backboard"?
= Overhead equipment!

And I used a whole lot less words. But MTD Sr. would be proud of you!
Old Wed Jul 17, 2002, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Typical of you Z to think this is a black and white discussion. I am asking what do you have, not whether I got the rule right or not. Or better yet, I did not say what we did or did not do.

This is a black and white situation. The rule is VERY clear about overhead equipment. And things like overhead baskets are exactly why the rule is there. Basic stuff. You can't sell AP or anything else because this one is as cut and dried as it gets.

Z
Old Wed Jul 17, 2002, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Ok, I'll leave you alone!

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
= Overhead equipment!
Honestly, I disagree with that. What I wrote is not equivalent to "overhead equipment". My phrase would also cover hanging banners or other decorations or even a stray bird, which are clearly not equipment. I think I've added enough words to this thread, tho. I'll recuse myself from further argument.

Chuck

[Edited by ChuckElias on Jul 17th, 2002 at 08:43 PM]
Old Wed Jul 17, 2002, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Re: Ok, I'll leave you alone!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
... I think I've added enough words to this thread, tho. I'll recuse myself from further argument.

Chuck
No need to do that Chuck, just stop posting on it.
Old Wed Jul 17, 2002, 09:06pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Typical of you Z to think this is a black and white discussion. I am asking what do you have, not whether I got the rule right or not. Or better yet, I did not say what we did or did not do.

This is a black and white situation. The rule is VERY clear about overhead equipment. And things like overhead baskets are exactly why the rule is there. Basic stuff. You can't sell AP or anything else because this one is as cut and dried as it gets.

Z

Zebraman, I could not have said it better. Having said that, you should know that I have now given you the kiss of death because I have agreed with you.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jul 17, 2002, 09:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Talking You go Z

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

Z
Whatever you say.

Peace
Old Wed Jul 17, 2002, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
I also think everyone is reading way too far into the "overhead equipment" rule in 7-1-2d. The rule . . . applies to all overhead equipment equally and without restriction.
I agree. But it is not explicit on that point.
Exactly - it's not explicit.

Because it does not specify any certain types of "overhead equipment" it applies to all "overhead equipment."

If we treat this as the ball being lodged between one of the two 'official' backboards and rims, what's next? Does a team score two points if the ball goes through the hoop of a suspended basket? How will you figure out the 3-point line in 3-dimensional space?
Old Wed Jul 17, 2002, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My phrase would also cover hanging banners or other decorations or even a stray bird, which are clearly not equipment.
Forgive me for playing the Devil's Advocate of the Devil's Advocate . . .

Are you saying you wouldn't rule a ball which hit an overhead banner out of bounds? (Or that you would consider that the rules state this is not out of bounds?)

Guys and gals, let's remember one thing - this is basketball.

It's not arena football.

It's not indoor soccer.

It's not pool/billiards.

You're supposed to use the floor and (in some cases) the backboard to dribble and hit the ball off of (maybe a player or ref, too.) If you still don't agree that this is "overhead equipment," invoke 2-10 (along with some common sense) and call it an extension of the ceiling.
Old Wed Jul 17, 2002, 11:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb This is one of those cases............

where the NF or even College for that matter goes back and makes a rules editorial revision. The issue seems obvious, but the rules do not "clearly" state what happens in this case. I know some will say that it is clear, but every year in at least one of the sports I do, they make an editorial change to close the gap or confusion in the wording. I guess you could say that the touching procedes the lodging in this case. But if there was a newer official or an official that has not seen this before, it makes for an interesting debate. That is why I posted the question. All obviously do not agree on what the "actual" ruling is.

Peace
Old Wed Jul 17, 2002, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

The hanging backboard not OOB - I don't agree with it, but there could be an arguement for that case.

But to call an AP situation for the ball trapped between the backboard and rim?? Let's look at a few rules which dispute this.

First, 6-3-3d - you go to AP when "A live ball lodges between the backboard and ring or comes to rest on the flange, unless a free-throw or throw-in follows."

Let us, then, examine 1-8, backboard position. It states, in part that the backboards must be "midway between the sidelines," have the "plane of the front face perpendicular to the floor," and goes on to specify measurements to pinpoint the location. If we want to be hyper-technical, then a backboard suspended in the "up" position is not really a backboard, per the rules, and therefore would not apply to the qualification of 6-3-3d, thus rendering your point moot.
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 06:01am
In Memoriam

Quote:
= Overhead equipment!
[/QUOTE]
Honestly, I disagree with that. What I wrote is not equivalent to "overhead equipment". My phrase would also cover hanging banners or other decorations or even a stray bird, which are clearly not equipment.[/B][/QUOTE]So if you hit a bird flying above the level of the top of the backboard,it's OOB.If you hit a bird flying below the level of the top of the backboard,the ball's still in play.What's the call if it hits a bird that's flying half above/half below the level of the top of the backboard?Now that's a tough judgement call!

I'm with Z,Tony,MTD Sr.,et al.It's a simple,straight-forward call.It's been OOB since Dr. Naismith removed the wire mesh from around the court.
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Ok, I'll leave you alone!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
It's been OOB since Dr. Naismith removed the wire mesh from around the court.
D@mn! That's why we can't keep those birds off the court!
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

In the definitions part of the rule book, is there a definition for "equipment"?
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

2003-2004 POE:

Overhead Equipment...
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Re: Re: Re: Ok, I'll leave you alone!

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
It's been OOB since Dr. Naismith removed the wire mesh from around the court.
D@mn! That's why we can't keep those birds off the court!
I worked an AAU game this summer in a gym that had a bird's nest way up high in the rafters. The coach told me the biggest problem was avoiding the occasional splats.