The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 08, 2000, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

A1 desides he won't be able to out-jump B1, so he doesn't jump at all. Instead, when A1 tips it back (which hits the floor), B1 is there to grab. I called a violation on B1 for leaving the restraining circle (smaller one) to soon. Was this correct and/or could he be first to touch the ball since jumper hit it and it hit the floor? It certainly looked odd. Who gets the arrow? My partner said A1 does because of the violation and thought since no one had possession yet, we give it to be. Thanks for your help gang.
Old Wed Mar 08, 2000, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Art,

You "switched" guys a couple of times in your post, so let's just say it was B1 with the confidence problem. The jumper (B1, in this case) may move from the center circle AFTER the ball is tipped, but not before. If he leaves the restraining circle as the ball is on it's way up, I'd say you've got a violation. Team A gets the ball for the OOB, and as soon as he is handed the ball the arrow goes to Team B. Now, if B1 waits until the ball is tipped, THEN leaves to get the ball, I believe he is legal as long as the ball hit the floor (all restrictions end when the ball hits the floor). But he'd probably have to be pretty quick to get there legally before a non-jumper secures the ball.

[This message has been edited by Todd VandenAkker (edited March 08, 2000).]
Old Wed Mar 08, 2000, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Todd is right -- and just to clarify, the "center restraining circle" that B1 can't leave is the large, 6' radius circle -- not the smaller, inside circle you sometimes still see.
Old Thu Mar 09, 2000, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

There is no violation for not jumping, and for leaving the smaller inner circle. However, in your case, there is a violation because the jumper caught the ball. He cannot catch the ball until either the ball contacts one of the eight nonjumpers, the floor, a basket or backboard.

(Since you didn't say so in your example, I'm assuming that none of the above happened first.)

------------------
Brian Johnson
Old Thu Mar 09, 2000, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

I believe Art implied the ball DID hit the floor first, but either way you are correct in what you said.
Old Fri Mar 10, 2000, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Todd VandenAkker on 03-09-2000 10:34 AM
I believe Art implied the ball DID hit the floor first, but either way you are correct in what you said.

Whoops, you're right, he did say it hit the floor. There goes my reading comprehension....