The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 16, 2002, 01:51am
Do not give a damn!!

I heard this on ESPN tonite. I understand that she was the last ranked official in the NBA.

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2002/0715/1406053.html

Peace

[Edited by JRutledge on Jul 16th, 2002 at 03:31 AM]
Old Tue Jul 16, 2002, 09:07am
In Memoriam

Question

I wondered how my kids could not know enough to anticipate their grades while they were in college.

Kantner did not know where she stood? Unbelievable, unless she didn't care.
...Oh, I get it!!!

mick
Old Tue Jul 16, 2002, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
I wondered how my kids could not know enough to anticipate their grades while they were in college.

...Oh, I get it!!!

mick
For someone who doesn't care, she seems to be raising a pretty big stink in the lawsuit department.
Old Tue Jul 16, 2002, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

What has she got to lose? It'll probably never get to court. They'll settle with her and she walk away with some dough.
Old Tue Jul 16, 2002, 09:49am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

...Oh, I get it!!!

mick
For someone who doesn't care, she seems to be raising a pretty big stink in the lawsuit department.
Well, of course!
Now, we are talking public humiliation, women's rights, social justice....
It's the private stuff that created the problem.
mick
Old Tue Jul 16, 2002, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Interesting that the story says that a male ref was fired also, but that only warranted a short sentence toward the very end of the article.

Does anyone know what her "shortcomings" were? I saw her ref a couple games on TV and she looked pretty good. Maybe she called traveling or palming too many times? :-)

Z
Old Tue Jul 16, 2002, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Interesting that the story says that a male ref was fired also, but that only warranted a short sentence toward the very end of the article.

Does anyone know what her "shortcomings" were? I saw her ref a couple games on TV and she looked pretty good. Maybe she called traveling or palming too many times? :-)

Z
Here's another story that gives a little more detail.

http://sportserver.com/basketball/nb...-3731697c.html
Old Tue Jul 16, 2002, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
Well, of course!
Now, we are talking public humiliation, women's rights, social justice....
It's the private stuff that created the problem.
mick

What private stuff? Did she squeeze her toothpaste tube from the middle and not the end? Did she drink directly out of the carton? Or am I missing something?
Old Tue Jul 16, 2002, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

Z
Here's another story that gives a little more detail.

http://sportserver.com/basketball/nb...-3731697c.html
Here's an interesting passage. Nice to know they have the same problems with the evaluation process at the top of the mountain that we have here in the swamps...

One longtime coach even allowed that, "if she files a lawsuit and I get subpoenaed, I'll support her all the way. This is just not right."

But here's the problem: How do you square these most recent comments with the coaches' and general managers' rankings, which rated her 59th and account for 40 percent of the final computation? (Jackson and Rush combine for 50 percent of the total, overseers the remaining 15 percent.)

"We ask how refs are hired and fired, and we never get any real answers," said one coach. "A lot of us just have our assistants do (ref evaluations) and don't even look before we sign. It doesn't matter what we think, so why waste our time?"

Asked about this, Jackson bristles.

"If that's the case, that's terrible," he said, "because we take these things seriously. A lot of thought goes into this. And we do have a review system, and (Kantner) was subject to the normal reviews. If she's saying we don't ... it's just not true."

Old Tue Jul 16, 2002, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
...Oh, I get it!!!
I would find it really hard to believe that she didn't care about her NBA job. I don't think she would've gone through the all the required effort to get there if she didn't care enough to keep it. After reading the coach's comments above, I really don't know what to think

Chuck
Old Tue Jul 16, 2002, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Did Dee complain if any officials got fired the year that she was hired in order to create the spot she took? Is she the first official fired who didn't think she was the bottom of the list?

While I sympathize with her losing her job, I am so sick and tired of people running to court to play the gender or race card when things don't go their way. Yes, this is very politically incorrect, and I expect to be blasted for my opinion.

Anybody can get people to support them after the fact. These unnamed coaches -- do they really support her or do they have an axe to grind with the "establishment" in the league office?

Dee, you are not the first to be fired and won't be the last. Get on with your life.
Old Tue Jul 16, 2002, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Don't these officials get some sort of intense breakdown of the game the next day? How do you go through a sked and not know where you stand?

On top of that, she obviously knew something; when coaches say her whole on court demeanor changed.
Old Tue Jul 16, 2002, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

But here's the problem: How do you square these most recent comments with the coaches' and general managers' rankings, which rated her 59th and account for 40 percent of the final computation? (Jackson and Rush combine for 50 percent of the total, overseers the remaining 15 percent.)

This is the passage I found interesting. How good can they be at evaluating officials when their criteria adds up to 105 percent??!!?!?
Old Tue Jul 16, 2002, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach

This is the passage I found interesting. How good can they be at evaluating officials when their criteria adds up to 105 percent??!!?!?
Extra credit? (Good catch BTW!)
Old Tue Jul 16, 2002, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Fellow officials,

I think we are looking at the news of Ms. Katner's dismissal from an unprofessional perspective. Now, trust me I do not not like the unfair practices that both officials and coaches use in this business, but we need to realize that is the way the officiating business is run to a point in some leagues.
I also think as officials, if we do not know the whole story behind the dismissal, then we should not begin to speculate on why the dismissal took place.
There could be more reasons behind it then we know about. Let's back off of the bashing, and wish Ms. Katner the best of luck in her future endevors in her life.