The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 27, 2009, 12:30pm
In Time Out

Arthritis in the hip!

I have developed arthritis in my hip. Hurts bad after games. Went to the Dr and he gave me some medication and it has helped some. Anyone have any advice? Is it time to hang it up? I am in my mid 50's and have called for over 25 years and have done it all?
Old Sat Jun 27, 2009, 01:01pm
Official Fiveum Member

Lightbulb

I know an official who also has arthritis in his knees and hips. Besides medication, he takes physical therapy and it really helps - plus, it's covered by his health plan. Check with your medical professional.
Old Sun Jun 28, 2009, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyClyde 68 View Post
I have developed arthritis in my hip. Anyone have any advice? Is it time to hang it up? I am in my mid 50's and have called for over 25 years and have done it all?
Do you still enjoy refereeing? If yes, then get with a physical therapist and have them teach you the proper exercises to strengthen and improve flexibility in the hips.

If you find out you are beyond what physical therapy can do to help you, then check out a hip replacement called, The Birmingham Hip. I got mine May of 07 works perfectly. I referee any Basketball game or Soccer Match I want to pain free.
Old Sun Jun 28, 2009, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have developed arthritis in my hip. Hurts bad after games. Went to the Dr and he gave me some medication and it has helped some. Anyone have any advice? Is it time to hang it up? I am in my mid 50's and have called for over 25 years and have done it all?
Billy...I think I'm developing the same condition. We're about the same age and have worked about the same number of years. I experienced severe pain in my hip after games and that was with extra streching, applying both Aspercreme and Icy Hot, Advil, and wearing not only compression pants but 2 pair of compression shorts. Feel that if I don't do all that the hip is just going to give out. Problem has continued through baseball/softball season. Working in the cool, damp, wet spring and early summer here has been murder.
I don't know about you, but it always hurt more after the game (esp.the next day) than during the game. The area of pain for me extends from my right hip down to the cheek of my butt.
Aside from replacement (and I am scheduled to see a doc) any advice from you or anyone else on coping with and managing the pain when working a game?
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 02:50pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
I experienced severe pain in my hip after games and that was with extra streching, applying both Aspercreme and Icy Hot, Advil, and wearing not only compression pants but 2 pair of compression shorts.
If nothing else, you certainly are dedicated!
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Also look into natural remedies, Example Viatmin B (ALL), flax seed, etc etc and other natural remedies. there is a large quatity of information on the web, you will need to filter a lot of junk however. Always check with your Dr. first to ensure no side effects or interactions with current medication. Remember that natural remedies take time and are not instanteneous.

You could also keep your enthusiasm alive by teaching younger officials and perhaps officiate slower games. It would be a total waste to throw 25 years of experience away.
Best of luck
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

I strongly encourage anyone with medical issues to consult a licensed medical professional. The internet is rife with crappy advice, and this forum shouldn't be, well, a forum for it.

Also, be careful: it's one thing to report what worked for you, but it is illegal to dispense medical advice without a license.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

You are 100% right MBYRON. this is a basketball forum.

I too "strongly encourage anyone with medical issues to consult a licensed medical professional. "

Thank you once again
Old Wed Jul 01, 2009, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
it is illegal to dispense medical advice without a license
I wouldn't get too technical. The statutes generally require that one holds themselves out as a physician and also take a fee. Plus, there are additional elements that generally fall under the term, mens rea (google it). Saying, "I'd recommend you take advil for that" isn't illegal in most jurisdictions.
Old Mon Jul 06, 2009, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If I were you, my next stop would be at a chiropractor's office. There are several different types of arthritis, some of which are treatable, some not. But it may be that what is causing your problem is ultimately an issue with your spine, something that a chiro may be able to help you with without surgery or medication.

Maybe what you're doing right now (meds) is the best that can be done, but regardless, the meds are only reducing the salience of symptoms, not addressing the fundamental cause of your pain.

I've been seeing a chiro for six weeks now, and it's the best thing I've ever done for my general health or my officiating career.
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm 57 and developed fairly severe osteoarthritis in both hips prior to becoming a high school official at 45. Went to several Docs looking for relief and there are no good options. Did all the correct "stretching," Celebrex, Glucosamine and Ibuprofen. Only the Ibuprofen had any real effect (taking 2400 mg per day) but I enjoyed being on the court enough to offset the pain it caused. Finally had enough and had total hip replacements during the offseason 4 years ago and am now officiating, playing golf and skiing pain free. Surgery is definitely the last option (with a good surgeon) but one you might consider if it's chronically painful even when you're not active. If it is arthritis, the meds and stretching may help ease the pain but is not ever going to magically disappear without the surgery option. (Your Doc will give you the warning about the hip wearing out much faster if you engage in high impact activities - I'm willing for that to occur rather then give up participating in the things I love to do.) You should consult with some good Docs about all the options and restrictions but only you can decide what's the best thing for you.

BTW, I don't purport to be a Dr. and am just providing anecdotal information based on my experience. Anyone who's concerned about giving "medical" advice on this or any other internet board shouldn't give it but IMO are being overly officious in telling others they shouldn't.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 05:59pm
In Time Out

What is the recovery time for the Birmingham Procedure? I went to my family Dr and he has told me to go see a cutting Dr. He said with my age the Birmingham method might be a good deal for me.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What is the recovery time for the Birmingham Procedure? I went to my family Dr and he has told me to go see a cutting Dr. He said with my age the Birmingham method might be a good deal for me.
I had BHR the 1st week of May 2007, Week 1 walking with a walker, week 2 walking with crutches, week 3 walking with cane. Refereed my first soccer match Mid August, 1st college soccer match 3rd week of August.

Should you want to talk about recovery, PM me and I will give you my phone number to call me.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 06:50am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref2coach View Post
I had BHR the 1st week of May 2007, Week 1 walking with a walker, week 2 walking with crutches, week 3 walking with cane. Refereed my first soccer match Mid August, 1st college soccer match 3rd week of August.

Should you want to talk about recovery, PM me and I will give you my phone number to call me.
Just think how much better the world would be if everyone was so willing to give advice that could help their fellow man without the fear of litigation.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Just think how much better the world would be if everyone was so willing to give advice that could help their fellow man without the fear of litigation.
Since he was merely reporting his own experience, it would take a crack lawyer to make his report out to be "advice."

And frankly, given what passes for "helpful advice" these days, it's just as well that the current system discourages it.