The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 14, 2009, 12:46pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Hey - they printed my letter today! They didn't edit it at all and they gave it a title - "Put on a whistle". It was one of only two letters printed in the sports section on a Sunday. I hope it convinces some people that officials try their best to call a fair game - always.
Old Sun Jun 14, 2009, 05:28pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Hey - they printed my letter today! They didn't edit it at all and they gave it a title - "Put on a whistle". It was one of only two letters printed in the sports section on a Sunday. I hope it convinces some people that officials try their best to call a fair game - always.
Attaboy, Padgett !
Old Sun Jun 14, 2009, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Does the paper have an online version anywhere so we can read any replies to it?
Old Sun Jun 14, 2009, 08:13pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Does the paper have an online version anywhere so we can read any replies to it?
If there are any, they would be in next Sunday's paper. I will check and provide a link if possible.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 03:03pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Hey Padgett....

I may get published too……but, it may not be what you think.

July 2009, REFEREE Magazine, page 21, Respect, Please. The magazine makes a big “ta do” about paying respects to our Nation’s flag, which I am all for of course, but then provides the wrong guidance (shocker).

The article states, “The umpires should stand at attention, with their left hand by their side and their right hand holding their hat over their heart (see PlayPic).”

While this is what most people believe to be correct (Mythbuster Billy?) and do, it is incorrect.

The correct verbiage should be something like, “Men who are wearing a hat should remove it and with their right hand hold the hat over their shoulder. The right HAND, not the hat, should rest over the heart. Placing the right hand on the left side of the breast, covering the heart, shows our love for the Flag and all it stands for.”

Same should be said for officials of any kind.

(Note - I don’t truly know if there is a distinction for women, but everything I’ve seen talks specifically about men removing headgear. Sorry.)

As Billy Joel once wrote:

Get it right the first time
That's the main thing
I can't afford to let it pass
Get it right the next time
That's not the same thing
Gonna make the first time last.

Once you tell/show people bad habits, it's hard to undo em.

Just a pet peeve.
Off soapbox, carry on!
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 06:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Mythbusters Are On The Case ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
While this is what most people believe to be correct (Mythbuster Billy?) and do, it is incorrect.

UNITED STATES CODE
TITLE 36
CHAPTER 10
SECTION 171 During rendition of the national anthem when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. Men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Persons in uniform should render the military salute at the first note of the anthem and retain this position until the last note. When the flag is not displayed, those present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed there.

Now, my pet peeve:

UNITED STATES CODE
TITLE 36
CHAPTER 10
Section 176. (j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

I love our flag as much as anyone. I display the flag on all holidays. The wallpaper on my work computer, home computer, and cell phone, is a flag. I'm proud to wear a flag patch on my official's uniform, but are officials considered a patriotic organization?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jun 19, 2009 at 06:51pm.
Old Sat Jun 20, 2009, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

UNITED STATES CODE
TITLE 36
CHAPTER 10
SECTION 171 During rendition of the national anthem when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. Men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Persons in uniform should render the military salute at the first note of the anthem and retain this position until the last note. When the flag is not displayed, those present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed there.

Now, my pet peeve:

UNITED STATES CODE
TITLE 36
CHAPTER 10
Section 176. (j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

I love our flag as much as anyone. I display the flag on all holidays. The wallpaper on my work computer, home computer, and cell phone, is a flag. I'm proud to wear a flag patch on my official's uniform, but are officials considered a patriotic organization?
As usual, I think it depends on whom you ask. My answer to the question is 'no,' which is why I haven't and won't put a patch on my uniform. This refusal rankles some, but I fail to see why it makes more sense for sports officials to wear flag patches than it would for members of catering staffs. After all, they usually wear unis, too.
Old Sat Jun 20, 2009, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
No they are not. Here is a list of patriotic organizations. I am sure there are more organizations which are not on the list but you can read the descriptions of the organizations and see that sports officials/officials' associations do not belong with the other groups.

Patriotic Organizations, American organizations and clubs, public service.

Sports officiating and flags really don't go together at all. If someone is patriotic why does that need to be shown to all while they are officiating a game?
Old Sun Jun 21, 2009, 05:23pm
certified Hot Mom tester

The Sunday paper came out today and there were no responses to my letter from last Sunday. I guess everyone agreed with what I said. Yeah, right.
Old Mon Jun 22, 2009, 05:43pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Thumbs up

Quote:
The Sunday paper came out today and there were no responses to my letter from last Sunday. I guess everyone agreed with what I said. Yeah, right.
Even the guy who wrote the 1st letter? Great job!
Old Mon Jun 22, 2009, 07:26pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Even the guy who wrote the 1st letter? Great job!
I would have rolled on the floor in hysterical laughter if Padgett would have written a response to his own letter. That would so be him!
Old Tue Jun 23, 2009, 05:42am
Official Forum Member

Fyi... Veterans out of uniform now allowed to salute.

New Law Authorizes Veterans? Salutes during National Anthem - Public and Intergovernmental Affairs

Quote:
Veterans and active-duty military not in uniform can now render the military-style hand salute during the playing of the national anthem, thanks to changes in federal law that took effect this month.
Old Tue Jun 23, 2009, 07:27am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
I would have rolled on the floor in hysterical laughter if Padgett would have written a response to his own letter. That would so be him!
And argued for the other side?
Old Tue Jun 23, 2009, 12:28pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
Actually, I had one composed but I didn't mail it. Here it is:

Dear Editor,

I read with disgust Mark Padgett's letter stating there is no cheating by basketball officials at lower levels. I know for a fact that Mr. Padgett shaved points in a 3rd grade girls game and made one-sided calls during the entire game. I know this because I'm his bookie and he bet $1000 on one of the teams. He made sure that team won and the final score was 156-3. By the way, I also take bets on croquet matches, so if you want to bet, you can find me before games sitting at table seven at the Hooters in Beaverton. I'm the guy with the $50 bill stuck between his teeth.

Yours in crime,
Skippy Weaselpants

Do you think that if I sent it they would print it?
Old Tue Jun 23, 2009, 12:56pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
And argued for the other side?
Hey, when Padgett is off his meds, he's capable of doing so!