The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 16, 2009, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

New to Board/Officiating

How are you guys doing? I am new to the board, and I decided to sign up because I am starting this class next week, and I wanted to know what I need to do before this class to prepare myself better.

I played basketball in college, and was even lucky enough to play overseas for a couple years. Now, I decided that I wanted to give up playing it, and start officiating it. I am young and have little experience at officiating.

All advice is welcome. Thank you for your time
Old Wed Sep 16, 2009, 02:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladair View Post
How are you guys doing? I am new to the board, and I decided to sign up because I am starting this class next week, and I wanted to know what I need to do before this class to prepare myself better.

I played basketball in college, and was even lucky enough to play overseas for a couple years. Now, I decided that I wanted to give up playing it, and start officiating it. I am young and have little experience at officiating.

It depends on the class. I am teaching a class too a week from Monday and in my class you bring yourself and an open mind. You do not need much than that in my class. But in someone else's class you might need more. I would ask the instructor or the people that run the class what you might need to do if anything. But I would assume like most classes, your attendance is the first thing and then listen to what is being taught. I will say this; many of us here did not get the opportunity to go through a class. Often times we signed up to officiate and we ended up on the court soon after with little or no training. Just take advantage of the information and apply it when you officiate. Just understand you will make mistakes and you will look and feel stupid the first few times out. We all were there. But after a year or two you will see improvement and feel better about what you are doing if you stick with it and work hard at it.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 17, 2009, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

This class goes 2 times a week for 8 weeks. So I am assuming this will bring me up on the mechanics of being a ref, and other type situations. I am really excited about potentially becoming a successful ref. I talked to Rodger Ayars, who refs ACC games, and he said they are always looking for young refs to get started.

During the summer, when ref camps are going on, how much do they usually cost on an average to attend camps like that?
Old Thu Sep 17, 2009, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I am young and have little experience at officiating.
You are a rare player indeed.
Old Thu Sep 17, 2009, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

What does that mean?
Old Thu Sep 17, 2009, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

He was trying to be funny, but it wasn't funny. Like all players think they can officiate. Get it?
Old Thu Sep 17, 2009, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This class goes 2 times a week for 8 weeks. So I am assuming this will bring me up on the mechanics of being a ref, and other type situations. I am really excited about potentially becoming a successful ref. I talked to Rodger Ayars, who refs ACC games, and he said they are always looking for young refs to get started.

During the summer, when ref camps are going on, how much do they usually cost on an average to attend camps like that?
First of all, welcome to the site. This is an amazing resource.

Camp costs differ greatly depending on the level of the camp. Some camps I go to cost ~$40 (for a two days) and another one for $300+ (for two days). Division I college basketball camps exceed that price by far (from what I've heard).

Welcome once again

-Josh
Old Thu Sep 17, 2009, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What does that mean?
A player with your playing experience who hasn't tried to officiate while playing is rare. (And it was funny). Best of luck with your new endeavor.
Old Thu Sep 17, 2009, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

You have to be an odd type of person to be a referee. You have to understand what it means to be loved and hated at the same time sometimes by the same person. (I actually find it to be a very strange feeling.) Understand that you are an integral part of the game, however it is best to not be noticed. Evaluate what occurs and apply the rules.

Playing experience will help you if you are able to anticipate the play. However, you don't want to anticipate the foul; we have all done that.

A successful referee can mean different things to different people. To some it may mean the ability to go out and have fun on a constant basis and use the game to stay connected as well as in shape. Others don't feel that they are successful until they get a full varsity schedule, and still others may not feel successful even at the higher levels of college basketball as they have their eyes set on professional ball. So I hope that you are successful but take it one step at a time.

As officials we spend a considerable amount of time and money working on our craft. It would be nice if we could make it a full time job but for the vast majority of us this will not happen. Different officials come to the game from different walks of life.

Having said all this, hopefully you will enjoy the class but remember that learning the art of officiating cannot be done in a classroom. While you maybe given tools the art and craft is done on the court with 10 players. Take it one step at a time and good luck.
Old Thu Sep 17, 2009, 06:24pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK View Post
You have to be an odd type of person to be a referee.
HEY - I resemble that remark!
Old Thu Sep 17, 2009, 08:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You Got That Right ...

Quote:
You have to be an odd type of person to be a referee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I resemble that remark!
You certainly do.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Sep 17, 2009, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
HEY - I resemble that remark!
You say that like its a problem
Old Thu Sep 17, 2009, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You say that like its a problem
In his case, yes.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Sep 18, 2009, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

First learn the rules. That sounds simple but it really isn't, as very existence of most threads on this board makes clear. Most entry level instruction consists of in-depth discussion of rules, interpretations and application.

Second, learn the mechanics. If you look out of place and can't sell every call, you can't be effective.

Then learn to ref. This part will take the better part, if not all, of your career.
Old Fri Sep 18, 2009, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post

Second, learn the mechanics. If you look out of place and can't sell every call, you can't be effective.
You should not have to "sell" every call.