The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Bigs block my view...

I hope the answer is not just "Keep moving"...

Starting to see some varsity level ball this summer. My question is for 2 man with me as lead. How have you all solved the following:

As lead, Team A is on offense with the ball in the low corner (or sideline area) in front of me. A1 passes to A2 at the free thow line elbow and A2 dives to the hoop. I have to move fairly quickly to be in a good position to see if Team B fouls on the drive- and even to see A2 on the move (even though I am refereeing the defense!).

If you have bigs on the baseline (or really any other player(s) in front of you, what adjustments have you made to be able to see the whole play involving A2's drive. I found myself screened off more times than I'd like to be and I am trying not to bend over or try to crane my neck around the bigs to see the play.

How can I get a clearer look at A2's drive and catch the little stuff on the drive?

Thanks,
Zeedonk
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Back up off the endline a little bit.
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 12:55pm
Ch1town

First of all, congratulations on moving up the ranks to work a higher level of ball!

When working 2 person we really get to see how significant the slot position truly is.

In your scenario I think the T has to recognize (from your body & head position) when you need help on those type of plays. Many times team officiating is the key to helping a partner with tough angles & getting screened out.

Even though we "referee the defense" we need to "see the whole play" while keeping as many players as possible in our field of vision.

Taking a step or two off the endline & pinching the paint usually helps me to get in the right position.

If that doesn't help me, then I make sure I call what I see & see what I'm calling. In other words, if I position adjust & still can't see it then I don't guess.

I always let my partner know, that I don't have an ego & if they see something in my PCA that I obviously missed, please come get it for the sake of the game. BUT allow me the opportunity to get it first as I'm working on a patient whistle.
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 02:09pm
Courageous When Prudent

Pinch the paint and step off the baseline. But in 2-man you definitely have move a lot to get good angles and cover your whole primary.
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Hopefully, with the ball in front of you as L, your partner has moved towards the center of the floor to pick up the paint. If he/she has, he/she should be able to help you, even though, technically, it's in your primary. But if your partner is still hugging their sideline, as others have said, try to get deeper.

That's a tough one if your partner hasn't moved off-ball with the ball in your primary.
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Pinch the paint and step off the baseline. But in 2-man you definitely have move a lot to get good angles and cover your whole primary.
I don't think that one can state that as the clear solution. I'm not contending that it is incorrect, but that it is likely only part of the remedy.

The answer to his problem may be to move out wider towards the corner.

It depends upon where the other players are and in which direction they move during the play. The Lead has to find a place along the end line from where he has the best possible view. That could meaning moving either in or out. How to know which to do? That is the art aspect of officiating.

I agree with the rest of what you said.
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the advice. It was something I noticed about my game during the game, but didn't really recognize the problem until the next day. I basically just said to myself, "damn, I didn't get a good look at that drive, I'd better get into the lane"...

I wound up giving the players in front of me a last look to make sure there was no funny stuff going on, and diving into the lane to see the drive. Backing up a bit might have helped, but I still would have had to move pretty quickly.

Something to pregame, it seems.

Z
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 07:41am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I don't think that one can state that as the clear solution. I'm not contending that it is incorrect, but that it is likely only part of the remedy.

The answer to his problem may be to move out wider towards the corner.

It depends upon where the other players are and in which direction they move during the play. The Lead has to find a place along the end line from where he has the best possible view. That could meaning moving either in or out. How to know which to do? That is the art aspect of officiating.

I agree with the rest of what you said.
In the OP A2 gets the ball at the free throw elbow and dives to the basket. The L was already wide because the play started in the corner. I'm assuming that since A2 went from the FT elbow directly to the basket that there is no traffic along the FT lane line that would block the L's view if he pinched the paint (while staying a couple steps off the baseline to keep his vision broad).

Guess it depends on how you envision this particular play.
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

I don't see how there can be any other naswer than to keep moving. That's what every post is saying.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 12:04pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
I don't see how there can be any other naswer than to keep moving. That's what every post is saying.
Agreed. There is no magic, one spot fits all situations, spot on the baseline where we can suddenly see every single play perfectly. The key is to "fight for the angle" as they like to tell us at camps. If you're in a spot where you can't see what's happening, move to get an angle on that play. Then when the play changes, move again. You can't just stand in one spot as Lead.
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeedonk View Post
I hope the answer is not just "Keep moving"...
Pretty close, though.

Keep moving, with purpose.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
Keep moving, with purpose.
I was told this at a camp once and it really helped me. I believe the exact quote was "Move with a purpose". Same general meaning but this phrasing speaks to me more. I was early in my career and was doing a lot of moving just for the sake of moving around. I would move myself right out of the play and look foolish while doing it. Now, when in the half court set, I work my way around the court (whether T or L or C) with a few well timed steps. If I have to travel a large distance to get the angle, I make my steps larger so I get there quicker and am moving with a PURPOSE.
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

I truly believe that the lead position is the worst place to see plays from. You have no big picture to look at so you just have to know exactly where to look and where to go. Its a "feel" that you just have. Also a lot of plays don't open up to you so you are going to miss more plays (unless you guess) at the Lead in 2 person. 2 person is more about managing the game than getting every single play right, but don't get me wrong get as many as you can right but there are just going to be some plays you either make a very informed educated guess on or you don't guess at all and you were just dead wrong and missed the play! It happens and its tough to live with. We've all been there...
Old Sat Jun 06, 2009, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Perhaps the question should have been more like "how best to handle this problem with a 2 person crew?" or something like that... All responses have been helpfull and DO begin with "keep moving". I was looking for general philosophies and how this particular situation is handled by a 2 person crew.

Sigh... the more 3 whistle I do, the more I like it and the more I am realizing just how much is missed (or can be missed) in 2 whistle. But our area schools and conferences are not all 3 man, and I'm not yet at the level where I can expect a full Varsity schedule (yet). And yes, the more V I see, the more I realize what a disaster 10U-12U levels are.

I think that's called "gaining experience"...?

Z