The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Ran into an interpretation of the "tuck" rule I am not familiar with.

This one occurred in a 16U boys AAU game a couple of weeks back.

Player A1 is held by B1 coming off a screen. B1 is whistled for the hold. During the play, A1's jersey became untucked in the back.

Subs were entering the game, and A1 was informed he must leave the game, as his jersey was now untucked.

Okay, I will admit I am the coach of A1. I asked the official sending him out of the game why he was being asked to leave. The explanation I received was "Coach, when a player's jersey becomes untucked in the course of the game, he must by rule immediately tuck it during the next dead ball. If he does not do so immediately without being asked, he is not properly dressed, and must exit the game."

Now it has been a while since I reviewed that particular rule interpretation, but I don't remember ever coming across an interpretation like that. Am I missing something?
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 12:03pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachCER View Post
Am I missing something?
Yeah - you're missing the name of the OOO who told you that.
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 12:05pm
We don't rent pigs

3-3-5: A player not wearing the pants/skirt properly and above the hips and/or a player not tucking in a game jersey designed to be worn inside the pants/skirt shall be directed to leave the game.

Now it's just up to a huge range of individual interpretations. I tell the captains in pre-game "I don't care if your shirttail comes out on every play, but when the whistle blows, be tucking it back in. Don't wait for me to tell you."

Having said that, we usually give a warning, (or two) especially if it appears that the shirt really came out because of an actual physical struggle related to the game, and not because the player had it tucked only a couple of inches so it would "accidently" come out on its own.

Lonesome Dove

Last edited by just another ref; Sun May 31, 2009 at 12:22pm.
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
3-3-5: A player not wearing the pants/skirt properly and above the hips and/or a player not tucking in a game jersey designed to be worn inside the pants/skirt shall be directed to leave the game.

Now it' just up to a huge range of individual interpretations. I tell the captains in pre-game "I don't care if your shirttail comes out on every play, but when the whistle blows, be tucking it back in. Don't wait for me to tell you."

Having said that, we usually give a warning, (or two) especially if it appears that the shirt really came out because of an actual physical struggle related to the game, and not because the player had it tucked only a couple of inches so it would "accidently" come out on its own.
That is more of what I am used to in my games. The jersey did come untucked on the previous play. The back end of the shirt tail was pulled out. My player had no clue what was going on, and said he had not noticed until he was being sent from the game.
It seemed a little extreme to me, especially with no warning, and with it clearly happening due to the foul. I have a story even better from the following day, but I know if I post it I will somehow be ripped for it.

Last edited by CoachCER; Sun May 31, 2009 at 02:32pm.
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 12:23pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
I have a story even better from the following day, but I know if I post it I will somehow be ripped for it.
Well, you gotta post it now. The rip will heal.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 12:43pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
I have a story even better from the following day, but I know if I post it I will somehow be ripped for it.
Nah - who would do that?
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That is more of what I am used to in my games. The jersey did come untucked on the previous play. The back end of the shirt tail was pulled out. My player had no clue what was going on, and said he had not noticed until he was being sent from the game.
It seemed a little extreme to me, especially with no warning, and with it clearly happening due to the foul. I have a story even better from the following day, but I know if I post it I will somehow be ripped for it.
ok, now it makes better sense...the shirt was untucked and ripped...maybe he did know what he was doing...
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Our rules interpreter asked us to basically do what your ref did in your game. However, I believe it was very rarely done in varsity games. AAU is a good place for this to occur in that it rarely matters the outcome of the game but it serves as a good lesson for the kid. I doubt if he will allow his shirt to be untucked if he thinks it will get him sent out of the game which is the whole purpose for the action.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 10:07am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopguy View Post
Our rules interpreter asked us to basically do what your ref did in your game. However, I believe it was very rarely done in varsity games. AAU is a good place for this to occur in that it rarely matters the outcome of the game but it serves as a good lesson for the kid. I doubt if he will allow his shirt to be untucked if he thinks it will get him sent out of the game which is the whole purpose for the action.
The kid didn't even know it was untucked. It's a stupid game management technique.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=hoopguy;605924]Our rules interpreter asked us to basically do what your ref did in your game. AAU is a good place for this to occur in that it rarely matters the outcome of the game.

See, this is want is wrong today with officials using summer ball as a basis for personal interp.

AAU ball does matter for the kids and officials. It's the continue maturation of getting better at the sport and the avocation. This is why some have a hard time transitioning from summer to fall/winter ball.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopguy View Post
It was in the 4th quarter of a game, and no player had an issue with an untucked jersey up until that point. I still think it was overkill, particularly for a jersey that came untucked in the back.