The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

5 point play????

in this circumstance will someone plese advise....under highschool rules in the united states if a 3 point field goal is attempted and has been released from teh shooters hands and....airborne a teammate is fouled by an opposting player away from teh ball under the basket.....given teh basket is scored....does the player fouled under the basket on the team that has jus scored...retain an addititional possesion??? if they are in the bonus do they shoot free throws??? can the team possibly have a chance at a 5 point play????
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 03:49pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by furlu55 View Post
in this circumstance will someone plese advise....under highschool rules in the united states if a 3 point field goal is attempted and has been released from teh shooters hands and....airborne a teammate is fouled by an opposting player away from teh ball under the basket.....given teh basket is scored....does the player fouled under the basket on the team that has jus scored...retain an addititional possesion??? if they are in the bonus do they shoot free throws??? can the team possibly have a chance at a 5 point play????
Yes to all your questions. This is true whether the shot has been released or not, so long as the player has started the shooting motion.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 05:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
They can have a chance at a 5 point play only if they use spell check.
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 06:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Infamous Exception C ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Yes to all your questions. This is true whether the shot has been released or not, so long as the player has started the shooting motion.
6.7 SITUATION D: A1 has started a try for a goal (is in the act of shooting), but the ball is not yet in flight when the official blows the whistle for B2 fouling A2. A1's try is successful. RULING: Score the goal by A1. If Team A is in the bonus, A2 will shoot free throws. If not, Team A will have a designated spot throw-in nearest to where the foul occurred. COMMENT: The foul by the defense need not be on the player in the act of shooting for continuous motion principles to apply. (6-7 Exception c)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 12:36am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
It could also happen if the foul were intentional on say the shooter. The shooter makes the three, but because of the intentional he shoots two instead of one and they retain possesion, so really it could turn into a seven or eight point swing.
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 07:54am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_sohl View Post
It could also happen if the foul were intentional on say the shooter. The shooter makes the three, but because of the intentional he shoots two instead of one and they retain possesion, so really it could turn into a seven or eight point swing.

Three years ago I had your situation in a boys' H.S. JV game. This is a very true story.

Team H was down by 24 at the half, but stage a rally of sorts to close the deficite to seven points with 22.4 seconds left in the game. H1 launches a three-point attempt that was successful, but while H1 was still airborne V1 runs towards H1 his arms around H1 in a very late attempt to keep H1 from shooting. I have a intentional PF on V1. H1 makes his two free-throws. H2 inbounds the ball from the sideline nearest the spot of V1's foul; his pass goes straight to an unguarded H3 who is standing in the free-throw lane who makes an uncontested layup to tie the ball game. This is the first tie in the game since the score was 0-0. Team V inbounds the ball and takes it up court where V2 is fouled shooting a layup, which was unsuccessful with 10.8 seconds in the game. V2 misses both free throws and Team H (which has no timeouts left) gets the rebound on the second free-throw and pushes the ball up the court. Team V has only committed six fouls in the second half.

Now for the really could part: V3 commits a common foul against H2 about thirty feet from the basket with only 2.6 seconds left in the game. H2 makes both free throws and Team H wins the game.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 12:55pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Arrow

I had something similar to MTD's situation about 3 years ago. Team A was up by 3 with less than 10 seconds to go. They decide to foul B1, who had the ball, and was a good 3 point shooter. Actually, I've seen this strategy work before. This time, however, they ran up and just pushed him in the back as he let the ball fly. It went in, my partner called an intentional and coach A ran out on the court to protest, throwing his clipboard as he did so. I T'd him up and he then went back to the bench and kicked it! Another T and buh-bye.

Team B got 3 points for the shot and then they made all six free throws (two for the intentional and four for the two T's) for what amounted to a nine point play so they were up by six. However, they violated on the inbound play and team A got the ball back. A1 hit a 3 pointer and was fouled (a really dumb play by team B) with two seconds left. He made the free throw ( I thought he might intentionally miss, but he didn't) but team B was able to inbound and avoided being fouled until the horn went off. They won by only two. It was probably the weirdest finish I've had in the past five years.
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I had something similar to MTD's situation about 3 years ago. Team A was up by 3 with less than 10 seconds to go. They decide to foul B1, who had the ball, and was a good 3 point shooter. Actually, I've seen this strategy work before. This time, however, they ran up and just pushed him in the back as he let the ball fly. It went in, my partner called an intentional and coach A ran out on the court to protest, throwing his clipboard as he did so. I T'd him up and he then went back to the bench and kicked it! Another T and buh-bye.

Team B got 3 points for the shot and then they made all six free throws (two for the intentional and four for the two T's) for what amounted to a nine point play so they were up by six. However, they violated on the inbound play and team A got the ball back. A1 hit a 3 pointer and was fouled (a really dumb play by team B) with two seconds left. He made the free throw ( I thought he might intentionally miss, but he didn't) but team B was able to inbound and avoided being fouled until the horn went off. They won by only two. It was probably the weirdest finish I've had in the past five years.

This talk of 5 and 7 point plays reminds me of the most bizarre call I ever saw a referee make. This was 5th grade boys rec in a local school league. The league commissioner swore up and down these were "certified" referees, but I have no idea where they dug these guys up from.
I was watching one of my AAU players in a game when I saw the following unfold:

A1 makes a steal, and is driving for the basket. B1 catches up to him at around the foul ine, and essentially tackles him from behind. The whistle blows, and I am thinking intentional foul, 2 shots and the ball.
Oh, how wrong I was.

The ref signals intentional foul. He then signals to count the basket. Note: no shot was taken. The scorekeeper and both coaches disagree, but he insists.
Okay. I am feeling a little queasy, as I think the fun just may be starting.

Now, player A1 is sent to the line for two foul shots. He makes both.
The referee requests another shooter from team A. Why, asks coach A? To shoot the foul shots for the intentional. What were those we just shot? The shots for the shooting foul.

Both coaches are stunned, and my head is starting to hurt.

Coach A finally sends A1 to the line. No can do. Mr. Referee informs all parties that the player intentionally fouled cannot shoot the foul shots.

The coaches are past stunned, and I have a nosebleed.

Player A2 makes both. The ball is given to A on the side, which was one of the few things he got right.

I took that league over a few years later as part of my junior program. The first thing I did was fire that "association".
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 02:41pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachCER View Post
The league commissioner swore up and down these were "certified" referees, but I have no idea where they dug these guys up from.
Was there only one official? Sounds like it. I'm sure that if there were two, you would have spoken with the other one.

Something just dawned on me. Maybe this league played by FEEBLE rules?
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

I think there were two, but now I don't remember. This group had a tendency to no show. The ref that directed that disaster once called 3 games from a folding chair at halfcourt.

Oh, and I was a simple spectator that game. I'll be honest, had I been coach B, I would have gotten a T, or two, that day.
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 02:50pm
Administrator

Let the bidding begin.

Quote:

Okay: The bidding started at five points, I raised it to seven points, and Mark has now bid nine points.

Do I hear ten points, going once, going twice, sold to Mark Padgett.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 03:06pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
The ref that directed that disaster once called 3 games from a folding chair at halfcourt.
A dream come true!
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 04:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

That's The Old Old School, Not The New Old School ...

Quote:
The league commissioner swore up and down these were "certified" referees, but I have no idea where they dug these guys up from. The ref signals intentional foul. He then signals to count the basket. Note: no shot was taken... To shoot the foul shots for the intentional. What were those we just shot? The shots for the shooting foul.
Mr. Referee informs all parties that the player intentionally fouled cannot shoot the foul shots. The first thing I did was fire that "association".
Was one of the officials "Old School"?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Something just dawned on me. Maybe this league played by FEEBLE rules?
No, we have only one shot for a U foul, if the basket is counted.

Ciao
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 11:25am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg-italy View Post
No, we have only one shot for a U foul, if the basket is counted.

Ciao
What's a "U foul"? "Ugly"?