The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 09:16am
Ch1town

I had this situation just before the '09 season tipped off. I got mixed responses about how to handle this situation properly. So I contacted our local rules guru for clarification:

If the net flips up we are obligated to make sure it is in its normal position because by definition a goal cannot be scored unless the ball passes through or remains in the basket. If we need to stop play, we stop play to fix it.

When it appears to be an ongoing problem, having someone free the net in transition was an acceptable solution as well.
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
I had this situation just before the '09 season tipped off. I got mixed responses about how to handle this situation properly. So I contacted our local rules guru for clarification:

If the net flips up we are obligated to make sure it is in its normal position because by definition a goal cannot be scored unless the ball passes through or remains in the basket. If we need to stop play, we stop play to fix it.
So, when the net flips up and prevents the ball from going all the way through, what problem is there again?...

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

We've been instructed to fix the net at next dead ball.
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
So, when the net flips up and prevents the ball from going all the way through, what problem is there again?...
Maybe there is no problem specifically stated in the rules with the ball staying in the basket (no doubt something left over from the olden days) but this does create an advantage/disadvantage situation.

Just like the delay of game rule that states a player from team A cannot bat the ball after it goes through the hoop. If the ball is staying in the basket or slow to get through, team B is prevented from quickly bringing the ball back in play, allowing team B to setup a press or get back in transition.
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Some argue that shooting at a net that is hung up is harder to do (can't see it normally and lose perspective on it) than shooting at a basket hanging normally....may have some truth to that.
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 11:29am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Fix it at a dead ball if it's not fixed yet. If it's a continuing problem, have game admin replace the nets.

Only old nets have this problem. I guess if I ref in Denver, I'll have to stop the game. But until I'm told to, I'm not going to. And, I'm not likely to ask.
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 11:31am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

When it appears to be an ongoing problem, having someone free the net in transition was an acceptable solution as well.
Let me just ask this one question; have you ever seen a shot not go in because the net was hung up? I haven't, even on a playground. Ever. In fact, the next basket that goes through almost always (99.59870870u34% of the time) fixes the problem.
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 11:35am
Ch1town

I'm sure you could get away with "ohhh I didn't know that."

You doing any of those MAYB tourneys down there? The guy assigning it is out here, perhaps I could get us scheduled together.

To answer your question, growing up in the City of CHI I'd have to say yes. Once those pesky but great sounding chain nets flip up, the next attempt had the net completely locked up for a few minutes

I just got tired of the multiple answers & decided to go to the source. I am on a mission & don't want any major dings for a minor misunderstanding.

Last edited by Ch1town; Fri May 22, 2009 at 11:40am.
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 11:36am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I'm sure you could get away with "ohhh I didn't know that."

You doing any of those MAYB tourneys down there? The guy assigning it is out here, perhaps I could get us scheduled together.
Down by me, or by you? Seems odd that a guy from your area is assigning games in mine.

That said, when are they? I'd be interested.
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcof83 View Post
Maybe there is no problem specifically stated in the rules with the ball staying in the basket (no doubt something left over from the olden days) but this does create an advantage/disadvantage situation.

Just like the delay of game rule that states a player from team A cannot bat the ball after it goes through the hoop. If the ball is staying in the basket or slow to get through, team B is prevented from quickly bringing the ball back in play, allowing team B to setup a press or get back in transition.
All valid points, except for one thing - the team that may be disadvantaged is the team that just scored. So there is another possession to finish before that basket will come back into play. Someone else (ball boy, parent, game management, etc.) will have time to fix it while play is on the other end of the court. However, if you blow the whistle to stop the game, you are doing exactly what you want to prevent by stopping play to fix it. You have now definitely prevented the other team from quickly bringing the ball in play, where it is only a posssibility if the net is left alone, and not an issue at all if someone else fixes it.

What rule or mechanic can you quote that allows a stoppage of play in this case?

Also, 1-10-3, as mentioned before, says the net "...shall be constructed to momentarily check the ball as it passes through." Iow, the rules require the ball to be slowed up as it passes through the basket. Since there is no definite number associated with "momentarily", a hung-up net that may add a few tenths of a second is immaterial IMO.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 11:50am
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Down by me, or by you? Seems odd that a guy from your area is assigning games in mine.

That said, when are they? I'd be interested.
You're in the Springs right? I think they bid on the MAYB tourneys & you get what you get, no matter where it's located. Like this weekends MAYB tourney is way up North assigned by a Western female. But hey as long as it's cash on the spot...

6/19 - 21
7/10 - 12

Let me know & I'll make it happen.
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
...However, if you blow the whistle to stop the game, you are doing exactly what you want to prevent by stopping play to fix it. You have now definitely prevented the other team from quickly bringing the ball in play, where it is only a posssibility if the net is left alone, and not an issue at all if someone else fixes it...
Touché
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 05:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Can't Somebody Find The Actual Citation ???

http://forum.officiating.com/484814-post18.html

I'm positive that the NFHS has already ruled on this.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)