The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 05, 2007, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Hung out to dry 2

Had a situation the other day. I'm in C postion, men on 1st and 3rd. Short pop-up to left field, down the third base side. Believing the PU has the call I start I start looking for tag ups and watching runners in case ball drops safely. PU tells me between innings I blew it and it should have been my call. I still don't think it was, but what is your opinion? Should I forget runners and go out? BTW, shortstop makes diving catch just inside foul line.
Old Thu Apr 05, 2007, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

drh898,

In the sitch you describe, the catch/no catch (not to mention fair/foul) call responsibility is emphatically the PU's.

Where did this guy get his mechanics training, from a box of Cracker Jack?

JM
Old Thu Apr 05, 2007, 12:27pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh898
Had a situation the other day. I'm in C postion, men on 1st and 3rd. Short pop-up to left field, down the third base side. Believing the PU has the call I start I start looking for tag ups and watching runners in case ball drops safely. PU tells me between innings I blew it and it should have been my call. I still don't think it was, but what is your opinion? Should I forget runners and go out? BTW, shortstop makes diving catch just inside foul line.
Go out? In 2-man, you NEVER go out when you start inside the diamond.

Why are you even talking to the PU between innings? Get to right field where you belong.
Old Thu Apr 05, 2007, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

His comment to me was that he had to stay home because of the man on 3rd and since I was in the C position I was closer to the catch than he was. Thanks for your reply because I thought I was right. BTW the offensive coach thought he saw the ball on the ground and questioned the PU about it. That's why the PU came to me bacause he thought I left him out to dry.
Old Thu Apr 05, 2007, 12:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Did you discuss this before the game? If this was discussed before the game, at least you know where your partner stood on this coverage. Now by all mechanics I have seen this is clearly the PU's call all the way. But when you discuss this in the pre-game before the game, then he cannot come back to you later and say you blew anything.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 05, 2007, 12:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Why are you even talking to the PU between innings? Get to right field where you belong.
Rich, I might talk to my partner during the game at some point. Granted it will not be every single inning and it might only be once, but it is not out of the question. You might talk to go over something you did not have the chance to during the pre-game.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 05, 2007, 12:33pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Rich, I might talk to my partner during the game at some point. Granted it will not be every single inning and it might only be once, but it is not out of the question. You might talk to go over something you did not have the chance to during the pre-game.

Peace
Yes, but I won't talk to him after an inning where something like this happens. Any time there's a controversial play, ejection, etc., I'm in right field for the next inning break or two guaranteed.
Official Forum Member

Thanks, Rich. He called me over to him between innings. Another question. Between innings should the BU stand in right field and not on the foul line by 1st base and up the line to avoid being hit by an errant throw? I had never been told this until Saturday. BTW, if you can't tell this is my first year and I'm having a blast. If I'm in RF where do I stand and what am I looking for?
Official Forum Member

You have the "U" (or V, or whatevvah), PU has players moving toward foul line to make the catch. This is his catch all the way.

You don't 'go out'. Both you and him need to study your mechanics a little more.
Old Thu Apr 05, 2007, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If I'm in RF where do I stand and what am I looking for?
Between innings? GLMs, of course. Its in Chapter Four of your mechanics manual.
Old Thu Apr 05, 2007, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Just curious. What level of ball was this?
Old Thu Apr 05, 2007, 12:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Yes, but I won't talk to him after an inning where something like this happens. Any time there's a controversial play, ejection, etc., I'm in right field for the next inning break or two guaranteed.
That I agree with if the next half inning was when the conversation took place. But that was not totally clear to me when I read the post. I even discuss that in the pre-game meeting.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 05, 2007, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Pony. I'll check out the mechanics manual again. In first year it is difficult to take it all in and internalize it. Thanks for your comments and constructive criticisim.
Old Thu Apr 05, 2007, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Pony. I'll check out the mechanics manual again. In first year it is difficult to take it all in and internalize it. Thanks for your comments and constructive criticisim.
If you're using the "Manual For the Two-Umpire System" put out by PBUC, you'll note that BU is in "B" with R1, R3.

As other's have noted, a fly ball to the left of the left fielder belongs to the PU. He apparently was confused when he told you he "couldn't go out." Nobody expects him to. He should line up the ball, keeping R3 in view. Then make the fair/foul, catch/no catch calls and observe R3's tag-up and be ready for a play at home.
Old Thu Apr 05, 2007, 01:24pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
If you're using the "Manual For the Two-Umpire System" put out by PBUC, you'll note that BU is in "B" with R1, R3.

As other's have noted, a fly ball to the left of the left fielder belongs to the PU. He apparently was confused when he told you he "couldn't go out." Nobody expects him to. He should line up the ball, keeping R3 in view. Then make the fair/foul, catch/no catch calls and observe R3's tag-up and be ready for a play at home.
And FED mechanics put the BU in C. It doesn't really matter.

Why would a PU ever think of covering a fly ball as going out?