The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   The odds of making it to D1 (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/5327-odds-making-d1.html)

stripes Wed Jul 03, 2002 10:23am

I was at a camp recently and some interesting statistics were given. The NCAA takes roll at the D1 rules clinics that are held around the country. Currently, there are approximately 1,200 referees who work D1 basketball (about 600 who do men's games and 600 who do women's games). Obviously, these spots do not turn over every year, so one can deduce the difficulty of ever making the D1 ranks.

I didn't write this to discourage anyone who holds the same dream of working D1 that I do. I just think that we need to know what we are up against.

BTW, the information came from a conference coordinator of officials.

Dennis Flannery Wed Jul 03, 2002 12:03pm

What camp were you at?

BktBallRef Wed Jul 03, 2002 12:24pm

I dunno stripes. To hear some people talk, it's not that hard. You start out working high school games your first year and, magically, you're in D1 in 4 or 5 years! :rolleyes:

JRutledge Wed Jul 03, 2002 03:00pm

You make me laugh Tony.

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
I dunno stripes. To hear some people talk, it's not that hard. You start out working high school games your first year and, magically, you're in D1 in 4 or 5 years! :rolleyes:

To quote Johnny Gill, "There you go!!!"

Peace

JRutledge Wed Jul 03, 2002 03:07pm

Might be harder than a player.

Quote:

Originally posted by stripes
I was at a camp recently and some interesting statistics were given. The NCAA takes roll at the D1 rules clinics that are held around the country. Currently, there are approximately 1,200 referees who work D1 basketball (about 600 who do men's games and 600 who do women's games). Obviously, these spots do not turn over every year, so one can deduce the difficulty of ever making the D1 ranks.

I didn't write this to discourage anyone who holds the same dream of working D1 that I do. I just think that we need to know what we are up against.

BTW, the information came from a conference coordinator of officials.

I think the numbers are even lower for officials to make it to the college ranks, as it is for a player to make it to the NBA ranks. Not everyone is talented, and you have to be that before you can even think of achieving such a task.

Peace

stripes Wed Jul 03, 2002 04:30pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dennis Flannery
What camp were you at?
The Big Sky camp.

BTW tony, I do know some who have made it to D1 in 5 years--on the men's side. Definitely the exception rather than the rule. :cool:

JRutledge Wed Jul 03, 2002 04:44pm

It happens and is the exception.

Quote:

Originally posted by stripes
Quote:

Originally posted by Dennis Flannery
What camp were you at?
The Big Sky camp.

BTW tony, I do know some who have made it to D1 in 5 years--on the men's side. Definitely the exception rather than the rule. :cool:

And I know of officials that have made it in 5 years on the Women's side. I even know of someone that made it to the NBA in 5 or 6 years. Definitely the exception, but it has happen.

Peace

Doug Wed Jul 03, 2002 06:38pm

well, a rule isn't a rule without an exception:)

Dan_ref Wed Jul 03, 2002 08:39pm

Quote:

Yeah, but you gotta be in Chicagoland, apparently they
are REALLY desperate for refs (if you believe some people).

JRutledge Wed Jul 03, 2002 10:43pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Well whether it be Chicago area or the rest of the state, the people here must be doing something right. We always seem to have officials in all sports at the highest levels. How many pro and D1 college officials are in your area?

That is what I thought.

Peace

Dan_ref Wed Jul 03, 2002 10:52pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

Quote:

Well whether it be Chicago area or the rest of the state, the people here must be doing something right. We always seem to have officials in all sports at the highest levels. How many pro and D1 college officials are in your area?

That is what I thought.

Peace

NYC? I have no idea, but I'll guess a lot.

JRutledge Wed Jul 03, 2002 11:07pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

NYC? I have no idea, but I'll guess a lot.
Don't guess, look it up. Referee Magazine posts every professional official in the Major League sports and the not so major sports.

Peace

ChuckElias Thu Jul 04, 2002 11:33am

Quote:

Do your own research. @sshole.
You seem grumpy over the last couple posts. Heat wave gettin' to ya, Dan? LOL :D

crew Thu Jul 04, 2002 11:52am

Quote:

its not magic, its hard work and determination and ability.

rainmaker Thu Jul 04, 2002 11:57am

Quote:

Originally posted by crew
Quote:

its not magic, its hard work and determination and ability.

And being female. Don't forget the statistics are much better for females (which is my only hope!).