The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 29, 2002, 02:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Here are the rules for a summer tourney (Varsity Boys) I did last weekend.

1. 2 15-minute running halves, stop clock in the last 2 minutes of second half if within 10 points.

2. Individual fouls are kept, and 4 fouls the player out.

3. Shooting fouls reslt in one free throw. Two points of FT made, zero if not. All other fouls taken out of bounds, except last two mintes of each half, where every foul is shot as above. In the event of a foul on a 3-point shot, one FT worth 3 points.

4. one full TO, two 30's, but only one 30 carries over to the second half.

All other rules same as HS.

These games are scheduled 45 minutes apart, pay $12 per game, and never run off schedule.
Old Sat Jun 29, 2002, 05:31pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Juulie - what happens if, on a shooting foul, the basket is good? Do you shoot the FT or just get the point, like the way it used to be in the girls summer league? And, if you shoot the FT in that case, do they still get two points for it?

Also - doesn't seem like much pay, even for games that short, when you consider what we're getting elsewhere this summer.
Old Sat Jun 29, 2002, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Juulie - what happens if, on a shooting foul, the basket is good? Do you shoot the FT or just get the point, like the way it used to be in the girls summer league? And, if you shoot the FT in that case, do they still get two points for it?

Also - doesn't seem like much pay, even for games that short, when you consider what we're getting elsewhere this summer.
If basket is good, one shot for one. They just condensed the two-shot and one-and-one to speed up the game.

Five games was $60, took not quite 4 hours. About equivalent to Lavender's stuff, with less break between games.
Old Mon Jul 01, 2002, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

My son attended his first high school team camp this weekend. Running 10-minute quarters, same f-t rules, but NO fouling out. A couple of anecdotes:

One of the first games I saw, the referee blew her whistle, and called out "Over the back!". I could feel the cringe all the way to Oregon. After the game I told her about this website. Other than that, she seemed to call a pretty fair game. But, then, I'm a howler, and we won.

The next day we played a very physical team. One of those where most of the team are football players with nothing to do over the winter, so they play basketball. One of the referees called three pushing fouls on an opposing player in about a minute and a half. (All good calls, the kid must be an offensive lineman.) After the third call, the official gave the kid an exasperated look, and said, "Do you not understand? You cannot do that!"

To the credit of the opposing coach, he was very supportive of the officials throughout the game. At one point, in the first quarter, one of his players received a T for something (I'm not sure what, I was on the other end of the floor), and the player was told to leave the floor. The coach lit into the player, then told him to go sit down away from the team. The player got back into the game in the second half, and was a model player the rest of the game.

Just out of curiousity, do officials ever hold camps concurrent with high school team camps?

- Catherine Aird
Old Mon Jul 01, 2002, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Yes, that is routinely done. Most of the camps officials go to are some sort of camp or tournament for the players too.