View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 01, 2002, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

My son attended his first high school team camp this weekend. Running 10-minute quarters, same f-t rules, but NO fouling out. A couple of anecdotes:

One of the first games I saw, the referee blew her whistle, and called out "Over the back!". I could feel the cringe all the way to Oregon. After the game I told her about this website. Other than that, she seemed to call a pretty fair game. But, then, I'm a howler, and we won.

The next day we played a very physical team. One of those where most of the team are football players with nothing to do over the winter, so they play basketball. One of the referees called three pushing fouls on an opposing player in about a minute and a half. (All good calls, the kid must be an offensive lineman.) After the third call, the official gave the kid an exasperated look, and said, "Do you not understand? You cannot do that!"

To the credit of the opposing coach, he was very supportive of the officials throughout the game. At one point, in the first quarter, one of his players received a T for something (I'm not sure what, I was on the other end of the floor), and the player was told to leave the floor. The coach lit into the player, then told him to go sit down away from the team. The player got back into the game in the second half, and was a model player the rest of the game.

Just out of curiousity, do officials ever hold camps concurrent with high school team camps?

- Catherine Aird