The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 11, 2009, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

3 Man

I was just watching an international game between the best USA high schoolers and international players. It made me google international officiating. I ended up coming across a video that seemed pretty good regarding 3 person responsibilities. I'm not sure if we use exactly the same rotation etc., but this video seemed like a pretty good explanation of responsibilities for 3 man. I think it reinforces that we should call our primaries and stay the hell out of everyone else's!

FIBA.com - Referee corner: Videos

Cheers!
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Oops!!

I just viewed the video. It's as you stated - not bad info for the 3 person crew. HOWEVER, the L in the first sequence misses a violation right in front of him unless under FIBA rules it's ok for a player to step OOB to avoid a screen. OOPS!! It happens with the play that begins @ the 1:02 mark of the video.
Old Mon Apr 13, 2009, 04:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcubed48 View Post
I just viewed the video. It's as you stated - not bad info for the 3 person crew. HOWEVER, the L in the first sequence misses a violation right in front of him unless under FIBA rules it's ok for a player to step OOB to avoid a screen. OOPS!! It happens with the play that begins @ the 1:02 mark of the video.
Stepping OOB to avoid a screen (or, in general, to gain an advantage) used to be mentioned in the FIBA rule book as a technical foul. Unfortunately, during a revision of the rules somebody apparently forgot to keep that in the rules.

It's definitely not a violation, but it may be sanctioned as a T (and so nobody calls it ).

Ciao
Old Wed Apr 15, 2009, 04:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg-italy View Post
Stepping OOB to avoid a screen (or, in general, to gain an advantage) used to be mentioned in the FIBA rule book as a technical foul. Unfortunately, during a revision of the rules somebody apparently forgot to keep that in the rules.

It's definitely not a violation, but it may be sanctioned as a T (and so nobody calls it ).

Ciao
In FIBA, it may be a T. I don't know. However, in NFHS it is a violation - "A player shall not leave the floor for an unauthorized reason (9-3-3). So it would appear that we are both correct within our own rules.

Ciao, Baby!!!
Old Wed Apr 15, 2009, 04:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcubed48 View Post
In FIBA, it may be a T. I don't know. However, in NFHS it is a violation - "A player shall not leave the floor for an unauthorized reason (9-3-3). So it would appear that we are both correct within our own rules.

Ciao, Baby!!!
So, the non call was correct for the video since it is a FIBA learning tool. Despite any rules differences between the Fed and the Feeb, the use of the video as a learning tool for the 3 person crew remains worthwhile, IMHO.

Das vidanya, comrade!!