The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   kicked ball? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/52660-kicked-ball.html)

drmarcus Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:42am

kicked ball?

If a player unintentionally hits the ball with his leg or foot, is that a kicked ball violation? If A1 throws a pass and it hits off B1's leg or foot while B1's foot is on the floor and B1 has made no effort to stop the ball with his leg or foot, that is not a violation, as I understand it. But what if its the same situation, but B1 has jumped (but has still not purposefully moved his leg to hit the ball)?

What if there is a loose ball and A1 in making a normal running motion, and making no intentional effort to hit the ball with his leg, strikes the ball with his shin or knee, is that a violation?

What if A1 throws a pass to A2 and the pass hits A2's foot or leg before any other part of the body, is that a violation?

Thanks in advance.

Ch1town Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmarcus (Post 593261)
If a player unintentionally hits the ball with his leg or foot, is that a kicked ball violation? If A1 throws a pass and it hits off B1's leg or foot while B1's foot is on the floor and B1 has made no effort to stop the ball with his leg or foot, that is not a violation, as I understand it. But what if its the same situation, but B1 has jumped (but has still not purposefully moved his leg to hit the ball)?

What if there is a loose ball and A1 in making a normal running motion, and making no intentional effort to hit the ball with his leg, strikes the ball with his shin or knee, is that a violation?

What if A1 throws a pass to A2 and the pass hits A2's foot or leg before any other part of the body, is that a violation?

Thanks in advance.

The main criteria for calling a kicking violation is the word intentional.

grunewar Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:00pm

Look Out Below.....

drmarcus - if you look at the very bottom of this page you will see some "Similar Threads" which have other questions and scenarios, points of view, and comments on this same subject with sometimes a slightly different twist - or not.

Reviewing these threads is another good way to expand your knowledge of the subject.

Good luck and welcome aboard!

Indianaref Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:06pm

Your question reminds me of a song by Bread in the 70's called "If".

dsqrddgd909 Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianaref (Post 593282)
Your question reminds me of a song by Bread in the 70's called "If".

Ahhh the good old days. That album by Bread was the quintessential make out album.

Mark Padgett Wed Apr 01, 2009 02:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 (Post 593290)
Ahhh the good old days. That album by Bread was the quintessential make out album.

No, that would be Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite album released in 1909 by Odeon Records. I remember listening to it while making out with actress Clara Bow in the back seat of my Stanley Steamer. Ahhhh - the good old days.

M&M Guy Wed Apr 01, 2009 02:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 593346)
I remember listening to it while making out with actress Clara Bow in the back seat of my Stanley Steamer.

What's so romantic about this? :confused:
http://www.stanleysteemer.com/Images/OriginalVan.gif

IUgrad92 Wed Apr 01, 2009 03:00pm

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Heard this at some point and it rang true to me. Did the ball hit the player's leg or did the player's leg hit the ball? Answer that question and you'll know if you have a violation or not.

Mark Padgett Wed Apr 01, 2009 04:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 593350)
What's so romantic about this? :confused:
http://www.stanleysteemer.com/Images/OriginalVan.gif

The soap and hoses. Never mind. ;)

Bad Zebra Wed Apr 01, 2009 04:23pm

Quote:

I had it on 8-track. No kidding, unfortunately.

Mark Padgett Wed Apr 01, 2009 04:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 593373)

I had the Nutcracker album on my gramophone. No kidding, unfortunately.

BTW - that album is generally considered the first "album" ever made.

JugglingReferee Wed Apr 01, 2009 04:41pm

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

You get paid to determine if it was intentional or not. Earn your money. ;)

grunewar Wed Apr 01, 2009 04:45pm

How OT Can You Go?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 593373)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 593378)
I had the Nutcracker album on my gramophone. No kidding, unfortunately.

My first album was Billy Joel's first solo album Cold Spring Harbor (1971) and my dog, Elke, ate most of the cover.....bit%$! I still have it too!

No kidding, unfortunately. :(

BillyMac Wed Apr 01, 2009 06:00pm

F***ing Filter ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 593385)
My dog, Elke, ate most of the cover, bit%$

It's not a swear word when your refer to a female dog. The filter should let it through.

Forksref Thu Apr 02, 2009 06:17am

Quote:

"The Sea" - narration by Rod McKuen and music by The San Sabastian Strings