The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

Seriously, though -- it's the toughest thing for me to do as an official -- decide when something is blatant / important enough to go get and when it's better left alone.
One of the things that can apply to this is the experience that the crew has working "as a crew." People that haven't worked together or only a time or two may be a little more bristled about things like this than people who are familiar with each other.
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

One of the axioms I have heard and used is "Just because its in your vision, doesn't mean its your decision". Another one is "trail must referee where lead cannot" because the lead is sometimes too close to the play to see everything that is going on. Its hard to watch above the waist and still see the travel when you are close to a play.

Last edited by ranjo; Tue Mar 31, 2009 at 08:32pm.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 02:30am
Official Forum Member

slightly off topic, but hey, it was my topic...

Interesting to me several references to learning to not watch the ball. My first year coaching I had to learn to stop following the basketball. I recal it seemed to take most of the year and a little bit of my 2nd season before I could consistently follow the action away from the ball. Then later when I coached my own kid, I had to train myself to not just watch my kid.

I have no chance of ever figuring out what the opponent is doing on offense and defense unless I watch the action away from the ball. Players think they really know & understand the game from playing so much. I thought I did. But there's so much more to know, especially when you start figuring out and learning other systems.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 07:59am
Esteemed Participant

My rule of thumb is that off-ball calls out of your primary are OK, but stay away from the on-ball calls outside of your primary. Getting an illegal screen or a chuck of the cutter or other similar plays are great calls to make - even if it's not in your little diagrammed area. Where we get in trouble is when we start making on-ball calls outside our area - the fouls on blocked shots clear across and outside the key, the handchecking call clear across the court, the phantom tripping call above the three point line (sorry, couldn't resist).

The first examples I gave can be great "crew calls". The second set are great "crew killing" calls.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 08:03am
Courageous When Prudent

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
My rule of thumb is that off-ball calls out of your primary are OK, but stay away from the on-ball calls outside of your primary. Getting an illegal screen or a chuck of the cutter or other similar plays are great calls to make - even if it's not in your little diagrammed area. Where we get in trouble is when we start making on-ball calls outside our area - the fouls on blocked shots clear across and outside the key, the handchecking call clear across the court, the phantom tripping call above the three point line (sorry, couldn't resist).

The first examples I gave can be great "crew calls". The second set are great "crew killing" calls.

Your thumb and my thumb are similar.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post

That play was off-ball. He didn't have the ball until after the foul.