The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 24, 2002, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

I'll throw this out for discussion.

Increasingly, I am seeing teams and cheerleaders gather at the center circle after player introductions and particiapte in some type of chant, cheer or dance. I've also seen teams that enter the floor and run around the opponents' end of the basketball floor. So far, I haven't heard of a situation where this has escalated. But is it just a matter of time? Is this unsporting behavior? Or is it just part of the game?

Evidently, the NFHS feels strongly about it, including it as a POE for the 2002-2003 season.

NFHS 2002-2003 BASKETBALL POINTS OF EMPHASIS

3. Sporting Behavior – Pre-game Situations The committee discussed specific, inappropriate pre-game situations that must be stopped immediately. Coaches must demonstrate leadership by immediately putting an end to these practices. Officials must be prepared to stop these unsporting acts and penalize the offending team(s) if necessary. Teams are deliberately running through or disrupting the opponent’s pre-game warm-up. Teams are also competing for the center circle when entering the court or following player introductions.

Suggestions for improved behavior:

· The state or local athletic conference should establish appropriate pre-game procedures and protocols. A policy could be established confining teams to their own free-throw semi-circle for pre-game huddles or rituals or that only the home team utilizes the center circle.

· Coaches should take an active role and establish guidelines for their teams and permit only those pre-game rituals that promote sporting behavior and cannot be interpreted as taunting or baiting the opponent.

· Officials should be prepared to assess a technical foul to a team member/team demonstrating these unsporting acts. The specific inappropriate actions of a few team members may be individually penalized or the entire team may be assessed one technical foul, if they collectively engage in any inappropriate behavior(s). Since all team members are considered bench personnel before the game and during intermissions, the head coach would also be charged indirectly with the technical foul (10-4-1d; 2-8-1).

The NFHS stopped short of establishing any real policy, instead leaving it up to each state association. What steps do you think your state association should take with regards to this POE? Should they wait until an "incident" occurs or should they take action now? Is it necessary to take action? Have there been any problems in your area?What's your opinion?
Old Tue Jun 25, 2002, 05:45am
Official Forum Member

I believe this was "sort of" a POE a couple of years ago when the rule was you can only run around your end of the court and not go past the center line -- or something to that effect. In our state clinic, it was emphasized that we should put a stop to teams violating this rule. I can't remember this ever being a problem. Regarding the center circle, the home team usually waits until the visitors have cleared the center circle before their introductions begin. It hasn't been a problem here (northern VA).
Old Tue Jun 25, 2002, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

In Ga.

We don't allow either team warmup or enter center circle. Even in introductions neither team is allowed to congregate in center circle. Also we have enforced not circling the court and remaining at your end of the floor. At the beginning of season we generally just talked to the coaches and let them know that down the line a technical could be given. I don't know one ever being given but by mid season everyone was following the rule anyway.
Old Tue Jun 25, 2002, 07:55am
In Memoriam

Unhappy

It seems quite silly to me, that we have to have Fed suggest to us that we should determine what is sporting and what is not sporting.
Waste of ink.

mick
Old Tue Jun 25, 2002, 08:51am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
It seems quite silly to me, that we have to have Fed suggest to us that we should determine what is sporting and what is not sporting.
Waste of ink.

mick
Exactly!R10-1-8 & 10-3-8 already cover any action that an official can deem "unsporting" if he/she thinks it's approprate or necessary to call.Officials are still gonna use their own judgement,POE or no POE.
Old Tue Jun 25, 2002, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
I believe this was "sort of" a POE a couple of years ago when the rule was you can only run around your end of the court and not go past the center line -- or something to that effect. In our state clinic, it was emphasized that we should put a stop to teams violating this rule. I can't remember this ever being a problem. Regarding the center circle, the home team usually waits until the visitors have cleared the center circle before their introductions begin. It hasn't been a problem here (northern VA).
Must have been something local. I don't find anything previously published by the NFHS on it.

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Waste of ink.
mick, I was looking for the correct words and maybe "unsporting" ain't it. I'm just really interested to hear how others are handling this situation, as we've previously received no instruction on it from our state office.
Old Tue Jun 25, 2002, 11:00am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
"...Waste of ink." - mick

mick, I was looking for the correct words and maybe "unsporting" ain't it. I'm just really interested to hear how others are handling this situation, as we've previously received no instruction on it from our state office.
Tony,

If both teams are running lay-ups during warmups, and one team is stepping on the "other" side of the division line, my attention is peaked.
When the home team comes in and runs around the entire court, I look for angst.
When the pre-game celebration happens in the center circle, I feel nothing.

In Michigan, as a matter of course, as the players are introduced they run to the opposing team's bench and shake someone's hand.

[On soap box....]
I think that is lame. After the game, fine... shake hands (also a matter of course in Michigan). Before the game... not for me.
I think that the players should hit the floor with every intent to whup the opposing team within the rules and the guidelines of sporting behavior. Making them shake hands, before a game, proffers a two-faced society.

Each State association knows where they are having troubles, and I tire of FED directives that are half-spelled out, and half thought out, to appease some fragile personalities.

[...off soap box.]

mick

Old Tue Jun 25, 2002, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

The first time someone huddles and cheers near half court is going to prompt the other coach to run over and beg us for a T.

This is just going to give me heartburn.....
Old Tue Jun 25, 2002, 12:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

I think the NF should adopt a policy making it mandatory for the cheerleaders to hug the officials prior to the start of the game. The officials would have their choice of which gender of cheerleader would administer the hugs.

Of course, I have worked with a partner or two that might want to adopt an "alternating procedure" rule for this.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old Tue Jun 25, 2002, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

You get to work with Juulie. Why in the world would you need any additional womanly attention?!
Old Tue Jun 25, 2002, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Hey Bard, one more post and you graduate to "Senior" citizen status.

Old Tue Jun 25, 2002, 01:53pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Yabut

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Hey Bard, one more post and you graduate to "Senior" citizen status.

bard,
With that in mind, it really has to be thought provoking.
mick
Old Tue Jun 25, 2002, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Wink Thought provoking enough?

Some of these may even come in handy on the court:

Texas Expressions

1. The engine's runnin' but ain't nobody driving = Not overly-intelligent

2. As welcome as a skunk at a lawn party = (self-explanatory)

3. Tighter than bark on a tree = Not very generous

4. Big hat, no cattle = All talk and no action

5. We've howdied but we ain't shook yet = We've made a brief acquaintance, but not been formally introduced.

6. He thinks the sun come up just to hear him crow = He has a pretty high opinion of himself.

7. She's got tongue enough for 10 rows of teeth = That woman can talk.

8. It's so dry the trees are bribin' the dogs = We really could use a little rain around here.

9. Just because a chicken has wings doesn't mean it can fly = Appearances can be deceptive.

10. This ain't my first rodeo = I've been around awhile.

11. He looks like the dog's been keepin' him under the porch = Not the most handsome of men.

12. They ate supper before they said grace = Living in sin.

13. Time to paint your butt white and run with the antelope = Stop arguing and do as you're told.

14. As full of wind as a corn-eating horse = Rather prone to boasting.

15. You can put your boots in the oven, but that doesn't make them biscuits = You can say whatever you want about something, but that doesn't change what it is.
Old Tue Jun 25, 2002, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
The first time someone huddles and cheers near half court is going to prompt the other coach to run over and beg us for a T.

This is just going to give me heartburn.....
I just want specific direction to handle it or ignore it. I want that same direction handed out to the coaches.

Here, most teams have the player run down and shake hands with the opposing coach (or usually an assistant). Then , they go to center court. After the last starter is introduced, all the subs and cheerleaders run to the center circle and they do their little circle dance.

I like the idea of having each team go to their FT circle. Also, I see know reason for cheerleaders to join in or for the circle dance to delay the opening tip or the introduction of the home team.

Just one man's opinion.
Old Tue Jun 25, 2002, 05:14pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Re: Thought provoking enough?

Quote:
Originally posted by bard
Some of these may even come in handy on the court:

Texas Expressions
Here's one we'll never get to say in Oregon:

[quote]8. It's so dry the trees are bribin' the dogs = We really could use a little rain around here.[quote]

This one reminds me of what Leo Durocher said when the Dodgers hired him as a coach.

Quote:
10. This ain't my first rodeo = I've been around awhile.
He said, "They ain't gettin' no maiden."