The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Duke vs. Villanova (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/52556-duke-vs-villanova.html)

Scrapper1 Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahoopref (Post 591911)
I didn't see this play but I think resetting the shot clock would only apply if the offense and defense grabbed the held ball simultaneously or if the defense had control of the ball first.

This is exactly what happened.

Scrapper1 Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by biz (Post 591904)
Wow! I've never thought about that one. Team control ends on the shot attempt so it's not remaining with the team in control, therefore reset. Do I have it figured out right, Scrapper?

Bingo! This was a test question for my D3 association several years in a row, so I have it down pat now.

jalons Fri Mar 27, 2009 01:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 591932)
Bingo! This was a test question for my D3 association several years in a row, so I have it down pat now.

So you are resetting the shot clock when an offensive rebound occurs on an air ball??:eek:

mbyron Fri Mar 27, 2009 01:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalons (Post 591976)
So you are resetting the shot clock when an offensive rebound occurs on an air ball??:eek:

Can you read?

Chess Ref Fri Mar 27, 2009 01:57pm

Shot clock issues aside is anyone surprised at how rough that game was. I realize I'm no big dog. I don't watch that much college basketball. So you can treat me as a fanboy if you must. FYI I'm a Duke hater but man that is physical basketball going on.

I thought the Big Sky was thug ball but the Villanove players are bigger and stronger then Big Sky hoopers and I was a little more then surprised at how rough it was.

Raymond Fri Mar 27, 2009 02:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chess Ref (Post 591995)
Shot clock issues aside is anyone surprised at how rough that game was. I realize I'm no big dog. I don't watch that much college basketball. So you can treat me as a fanboy if you must. FYI I'm a Duke hater but man that is physical basketball going on.

I thought the Big Sky was thug ball but the Villanove players are bigger and stronger then Big Sky hoopers and I was a little more then surprised at how rough it was.

I know one thing, Villanova is not afraid to send you to the free throw line. One of their starters fouled out on a stupid foul with about 4 1/2 minutes left and the bench was laughing with him when he came off the court.

grunewar Fri Mar 27, 2009 02:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chess Ref (Post 591995)

....and the Big East still has five teams standing (for now) out of the remaining 12 - a pretty healthy percentage.

jalons Fri Mar 27, 2009 02:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 591980)
Can you read?

I believe so.....

WhistlesAndStripes Fri Mar 27, 2009 03:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 592005)
....and the Big East still has five teams standing (for now) out of the remaining 12 - a pretty healthy percentage.

And I have 4 of those 5 in my final 4.

TussAgee11 Fri Mar 27, 2009 04:36pm

Somebody at work made an interesting point - not sure when this changed.

When did the NCAA start using officials in the tourney that work the conference of one of the participants?

As for the mechanics, I've come to expect it at the top level of all sports. The double points, the "get up" signal, the "I have nothing" signal, the Ed Hightower fists together at the waste and extend up towards the sky to indicate a push, everything Teddy V does, etc. etc. etc. When in Rome, but it makes it hard for a high school official to learn from watching them on TV with the double whistles, double pointing, larger than life flamboyant mechanics.

MLB umpires are a prime example as well.

Hess was the calling official on the offensive foul and count the basket play. On the replay, he looked like he didn't even know the ball went in, as if it was just an ordinary rebounding foul. For once, the announcers had a right to be confused. I know I was.

Camron Rust Fri Mar 27, 2009 05:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TussAgee11 (Post 592030)

When did the NCAA start using officials in the tourney that work the conference of one of the participants?

Probably all the time since officials work for 2, 3, 4 or even more conferences. Its bound to occur. It is not like football where the crews/officials specifically work for one conference and it may be desireable to have a crew from a neutral confernece, even if only to avoid appearances of unfairness.

JRutledge Fri Mar 27, 2009 05:23pm

Quote:

Then you would have to eliminate the pool of officials or assign officials at each round that did not make the tournament, if you did what you suggest. Teddy V or Hightower work so many conferences they would only be allowed to work Pac-10 teams playing each other and in the current system there are no match-ups these guys would be able to work based on that way of thinking.

Quote:

As for the mechanics, I've come to expect it at the top level of all sports. The double points, the "get up" signal, the "I have nothing" signal, the Ed Hightower fists together at the waste and extend up towards the sky to indicate a push, everything Teddy V does, etc. etc. etc. When in Rome, but it makes it hard for a high school official to learn from watching them on TV with the double whistles, double pointing, larger than life flamboyant mechanics.

MLB umpires are a prime example as well.

Why would you look towards any level other than your own for examples of good mechanics? These guys (even the MLB Umpires) are not working high school games.

Peace

26 Year Gap Fri Mar 27, 2009 06:13pm

Back to the topic: Duke got killed.:D

Adam Fri Mar 27, 2009 06:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 592044)
Back to the topic: Duke got killed.:D

This is always on topic.

TussAgee11 Fri Mar 27, 2009 07:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 592037)
Probably all the time since officials work for 2, 3, 4 or even more conferences. Its bound to occur. It is not like football where the crews/officials specifically work for one conference and it may be desireable to have a crew from a neutral confernece, even if only to avoid appearances of unfairness.

I was just under the impression this used to be NCAA policy. If it changed many years ago, and perhaps I missed it nor never thought about it, my bad.

I wasn't critiquing it, I really don't think its much of a problem at all. In fact, I think its better. You get officials on the game that know team and conference tendencies. I wouldn't want a Pac-10 official working a Big East game if I had a Big East official of equal caliber to do it.

As for the mechanics issue, you won't convince me that some of you don't cringe when you see some of the stuff a few of these officials do to communicate a call. This is still amateur athletics. MLB, fine, its all about the show. But it is possible that a high school official works D3, which is under the NCAA banner.

So for that D3 official to want to aspire to D1, and then see D1 officials with crappy mechanics, it's gotta make them cringe a bit.

Again, when in Rome...