The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Duke vs. Villanova (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/52556-duke-vs-villanova.html)

JRutledge Mon Mar 30, 2009 01:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldFanDan (Post 592595)
"Is this really a serious question?"

Absolutely a serious question.

I cannot fathom anybody working a game where they have stated that they 'hate' a coach or a program, but that they will be fair and impartial to that coach or program.

It's really not that hard to understand that such hatred would be a problem.

Did it ever occur to you that the people that say they "Hate Duke" are talking as fans and not as officials? I doubt anyone here is really going to be in much of a position to work an ACC game, let alone a Duke game. And if you are honestly taking any comments that seriously, then you either do not understand the real purpose of this site or you are taking things way out of context. Who cares who does or does not like a particular team. They lost, they will probably be back, but this is not the place that thing is usually discussed here.

Peace

Adam Mon Mar 30, 2009 01:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbduke (Post 592262)
It's great to still see the hate, as it means Duke is still the gold standard.

Actually it means no such thing.

To prove it, may I submit exhibits A, B, and C.

A. Notre Dame football.
B. Dallas Cowboys.
C. Nebraska football

refguy Mon Mar 30, 2009 02:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 592597)
Actually it means no such thing.

To prove it, may I submit exhibits A, B, and C.

A. Notre Dame football.
B. Dallas Cowboys.
C. Nebraska football

Does anyone really hate Nebraska or Notre Dame anymore? You kinda start feeling sorry for them or not caring at all.

OldFanDan Mon Mar 30, 2009 02:59pm

Quote:

...and if you are honestly taking any comments that seriously, then you either do not understand the real purpose of this site ...

"Dude.

This is a referee forum.

Go away".

Yeah, I guess I am 'confused'.

Back In The Saddle Mon Mar 30, 2009 03:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by refguy (Post 592606)
Does anyone really hate Nebraska or Notre Dame anymore? You kinda start feeling sorry for them or not caring at all.

Does Nebraska still play football? :confused:

grunewar Mon Mar 30, 2009 03:32pm

Listen to your parents.....

My dad taught me to try to avoid using the word "hate" as it's a bit too strong. He said use, dislike instead. That being said....

I watch Duke a lot because I like college basketball and live in the east....and that's what's on the tube - a lot (Big East too). I choose to watch.

I compare Duke to the Dallas Cowboys and New York Yankees - you either like em or not! Most folks have a side. You're either for em or against em.

Look, I live in our Nations Capital. Few go to see the Wizards or Nats anymore (Caps are a different story - everyone follows a winner ya know). My point being when the Yanks or the Cowgirls come to town (any town) - many either go to cheer for their team or cheer against the other disliked team. As was stated before (Nebraska and ND) if the Devil Rays or Angels come to town you either cheer for your team....or don't go.

Does this come from years of success, overexposure, personailty issues, etc.? Probably a bit of all of it. I choose to live with it.

As for a Duke game? Seeing that I'm ending my third year of officiating, and doing some smaller V, but mostly JV/F, if an ACC game pops on my calendar - even if it's Duke, color me there. I mean, I don't live in SoCal ya know! :p

My $.02

Camron Rust Mon Mar 30, 2009 03:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbduke (Post 592262)
It's great to still see the hate, as it means Duke is still the gold standard. When it stops being news that they don't make it past the Sweet 16, it's time to worry.

Keep dreaming. They barely make the top 5 by most accounts. UCLA, UNC, and UK clearly have them beat by almost any standard. Then you have UI, KU, and a couple others that compete with Duke for the next few spots.

Nevadaref Mon Mar 30, 2009 07:06pm

Or a program that you didn't even mention.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 592626)
Keep dreaming. They barely make the top 5 by most accounts. UCLA, UNC, and UK clearly have them beat by almost any standard. Then you have UI, KU, and a couple others that compete with Duke for the next few spots.

A sports radio show last night was making an effective case that Michigan State has been THE BEST program over the past decade.

Five Final Fours in the last eleven years. I haven't checked, but that seems to be more than Duke over that time period.

Let's be fair and give credit where it is due.

Nevadaref Mon Mar 30, 2009 07:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbduke (Post 592270)
Love it. A page of reasonable explanations for the "decline of Duke," something a couple of people actually asked about, and you guys come back with nothing but ad hominem crap.

Whatever.

If anyone wants to actually engage in something substantive, let's rock.

You should contact this guy:
InGameNow Why Duke Won?t Make a Final Four the Next Five Years

:p

Raymond Mon Mar 30, 2009 07:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 592673)
A sports radio show last night was making an effective case that Michigan State has been THE BEST program over the past decade.

Five Final Fours in the last eleven years. I haven't checked, but that seems to be more than Duke over that time period.

Duke: 3 FF's/1 NC

Florida: 3 FF's/2 NC's

UNC: 4 FF's/1 NC

UConn: 3 FF's/2 NC's

MSU: 5 FF's/1 NC

UCLA: 3 FF's

Kansas: 3 FF's/1 NC

MD: 2 FF's/1 NC

Camron Rust Mon Mar 30, 2009 07:47pm

Quote:

That may all be true, but "gold standard" is not something that comes around lately. You simply have to look at all history. And, Michigan State would certainly be in the discussion for the next tier, but NOT the best program.

Juulie Downs Mon Mar 30, 2009 08:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbduke (Post 592270)

If anyone wants to actually engage in something substantive, let's rock.

Nah, changing the subject from whether or not Duke is great or not to something substantive would be hijacking this thread, and that's frowned upon.

Adam Mon Mar 30, 2009 08:49pm

Quote:

I heard Greenberg this morning mention that Izzo has never had a player stay four years and not go to a Final Four. That's impressive over a 14 (I think) year tenure and running.

I agree that you can't use a decade to indicate how storied a program is; but I would also suggest two decades isn't enough to define a gold standard. The Gold Standard in college basketball is UCLA.

That's it, that's the list.

26 Year Gap Mon Mar 30, 2009 09:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 592689)
I heard Greenberg this morning mention that Izzo has never had a player stay four years and not go to a Final Four. That's impressive over a 14 (I think) year tenure and running.

I agree that you can't use a decade to indicate how storied a program is; but I would also suggest two decades isn't enough to define a gold standard. The Gold Standard in college basketball is UCLA.

That's it, that's the list.

And growing up in the 60s & 70s, you either rooted for UCLA or against them. Everyone from that time remembers Austin Carr, NC State & David Thompson. The streak breakers.

I also remember the Duke fans tossing records after it was reported that NC State star Chris Washburn allegedly lifted a stereo. Sort of a mini disco demolition day. The fan behavior even back then was either pushing the envelope or over the edge, take your pick. A Duke/UCLA final is like a Yankees/Dodgers WS....Who do you root for?

mbyron Tue Mar 31, 2009 06:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 592676)
That may all be true, but "gold standard" is not something that comes around lately. You simply have to look at all history.

I thought the gold standard was abolished back in the '70s. You know, like UCLA basketball. :D