The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 10:47am
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation Almost a 13 point play!

I was talking with an old buddy yesterday and he told me this happened in a wreck league game he worked earlier this season (NF rules).

Just a few seconds left in the first half and A1 launches a 3 pointer. B1 shoves him in the back with both hands. The ball goes in, and my buddy's partner immediately calls an intentional foul. B1 gets in his face, complains loudly about the call and drops an F-bomb. WHACK! He doesn't stop and actually chest bumps the official. My buddy calls the second T at that time. See ya'.

Coach B runs out on the floor and yells at the partner, who T's up the coach. The guy then throws his clipboard and yells some more. This time, my buddy T's him up. Buh-bye.

After things settle down, A1 makes both his free throws for the intentional. A2 shoots the eight shots for the four technicals and makes seven of them. If he would have made all eight, it would have been a 13 point play! As it was, 12 is still a lot.

Oh yeah, when all this began, the score was tied at 20-20. My buddy still has no idea why B1 committed the intentional.
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Hmm...what if two defenders pushed him the back at the same time? Would that be a multiple intentional? And how many FT's?...

Oh, never mind.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 11:06am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
Hmm...what if two defenders pushed him the back at the same time? Would that be a multiple intentional? And how many FT's?...

Oh, never mind.
You are evil...just downright evil!
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 11:19am
#thereferee99

and of course,

Quote:

Oh, never mind.
..one is black, one is white, and there are columnists in the haus?
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 11:30am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I was talking with an old buddy yesterday and he told me this happened in a wreck league game he worked earlier this season (NF rules).

Just a few seconds left in the first half and A1 launches a 3 pointer. B1 shoves him in the back with both hands. The ball goes in, and my buddy's partner immediately calls an intentional foul. B1 gets in his face, complains loudly about the call and drops an F-bomb. WHACK! He doesn't stop and actually chest bumps the official. My buddy calls the second T at that time. See ya'.

Coach B runs out on the floor and yells at the partner, who T's up the coach. The guy then throws his clipboard and yells some more. This time, my buddy T's him up. Buh-bye.

After things settle down, A1 makes both his free throws for the intentional. A2 shoots the eight shots for the four technicals and makes seven of them. If he would have made all eight, it would have been a 13 point play! As it was, 12 is still a lot.

Oh yeah, when all this began, the score was tied at 20-20. My buddy still has no idea why B1 committed the intentional.
Maybe he was afraid he was going to miss his favorite TV show.
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 11:31am
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:

Oh, never mind.
Probably depends if they both dropped F-bombs and did chest bumps, I suppose.
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Oh yeah, when all this began, the score was tied at 20-20.
That explains why you remember the episode. It prevented overtime.
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
..one is black, one is white, and there are columnists in the haus?
What if the official is Asian?

-Josh
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 12:43pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
What if the official is Asian?

-Josh
Couldn't be Asian. Had to be Alf!
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

looks like those two officials are going to be scratched for a long time....however, becuase U2 showed great game management skills, I hear he's got the Purdue v UConn game tonight from Glendale, AZ......
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 02:46pm
Ref Ump Welsch

The OP had me going over into the football board to find a sitch in which I had something just as crazy. Here it is (remember football):

Speaking of bizarre, I had a play (3-man crew) where I flagged B1 for defensive holding just a couple yards off the line, and then stayed with B1 and A1 as they headed downfield where A1 committed intentional pass interference, dropping my 2nd flag. After the catch, B1 grabs A1 and runs him OOB and body slams A1, so I threw a bean bag at the OOB spot. A1 jumped up, threw the ball at him, calling him several expletives, at which time I dropped my hat. By time, white hat could get there, B's coach was running out of the box screaming "toss his f**king a** out of game!" So dropped my other bean bag at the spot. After restoring order, white hat's first comment: "dude, I thought you were putting on a strip show!"
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 04:52pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
The OP had me going over into the football board to find a sitch in which I had something just as crazy. Here it is (remember football):

Speaking of bizarre, I had a play (3-man crew) where I flagged B1 for defensive holding just a couple yards off the line, and then stayed with B1 and A1 as they headed downfield where A1 committed intentional pass interference, dropping my 2nd flag. After the catch, B1 grabs A1 and runs him OOB and body slams A1, so I threw a bean bag at the OOB spot. A1 jumped up, threw the ball at him, calling him several expletives, at which time I dropped my hat. By time, white hat could get there, B's coach was running out of the box screaming "toss his f**king a** out of game!" So dropped my other bean bag at the spot. After restoring order, white hat's first comment: "dude, I thought you were putting on a strip show!"
Would have been REALLY something if the band had come on with the Big Spender music.
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 05:28pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
so I threw a bean bag at the OOB spot. .....So dropped my other bean bag at the spot.
I think basketball officials should carry bean bags. We need something like that to throw at spectators.

"Call it both ways? Take that." WHAP!
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 06:29pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
I think basketball officials should carry bean bags. We need something like that to throw at spectators.

"Call it both ways? Take that." WHAP!
Or we should have a mascot with a t-shirt cannon. Only they would fire officials' shirts at the offender with a written test attached.
Old Fri Mar 27, 2009, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

I had a 7-point possession last night in the 16-18 y/o Boys' Club league; could've been 8. I'm lead, three-point shooter in my corner gets wrecked and I call the three-shot foul. At the table reporting, the scorekeeper informs me that a player in the game wasn't in the book, so I call the T. They wanted me to take the two points he scored off the board also, but they were of course incorrect.

Guy at the line makes 4 of 5 then hits a three after the inbound.

It was my 4th Boys' Club game this season, and my first one without a T. I was sure there would be one as my partner has a shorter fuse than me.