The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 26, 2002, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Maybe this is a silly question, but what will the mechanic look like when you call the violation for swinging elbows?
Violation then mimic the action?

Just curious! ;-)
Old Wed Jun 26, 2002, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
As far as I know from the most recent research, including polling data culled from IAABO members' opinions regarding the past 10 seasons' rulebooks, casebooks and officials manuals, the NFHS has taken a stand opposing run-on sentences which tend to add unnecessary and also apparently sometimes redundant phrasing and terminology to the already lengthy officiating literature that the NF makes available to all its members, who have apparently complained about the proliferation of these run-on sentences throughout the last decade and been very active in trying to enact some sort of guidelines for the use (or the avoidance) of such sentences, which tend to confuse not only the Fed membership, but also the players when they come out for the captains' meeting and also the coaches when they relunctantly request a clarification on a rules question that may arise during the course of a contest; but it was determined that actually rewriting the Fed literature was too large and expensive a task to undertake at the present time, so instead of a massive rewrite or a complete reworking of the rulebook, it was decided that a relatively short POE -- in comparison to the POEs on traveling or rough play which have been included over the last several years -- would have to suffice to clarify the issue for all of the parties involved.

Chuck
That's not a run-on sentence, it's a marathon!
Old Wed Jun 26, 2002, 02:03pm
In Memoriam

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by secondyear
Maybe this is a silly question, but what will the mechanic look like when you call the violation for swinging elbows?

Just curious! ;-)
They haven't told us yet.
But I am guessing you don't want to be standing in front of anybody when you give the signal.
Old Thu Jun 27, 2002, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by secondyear

Just curious! ;-)
They haven't told us yet.
But I am guessing you don't want to be standing in front of anybody when you give the signal.
We were told at camp that what secondyear suggests is about it. They also told us specifically what mick said. I'm not 100% sure they were serious, since I haven't seen the new books yet. I guess we'll know soon enough.
Old Thu Jun 27, 2002, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Perhaps have "The Twist" played over the PA when we make the signal??? I think I'll need to add to my stretch out regimen before games!