The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Louisville/Siena Backcourt violation

Early in the second half, a Louisville FG attempt rebounded off the rim and was going towards out of bounds. A Louisville player passed the ball with one hand in his backcourt. The official called a backcourt violation which thae announcer described as an obvious backcourt violation. Is it? There was no team control and the player had one hand on the ball which he threw in the backcourt. I don't think that's constitutes control. Let's put it this way; if a defensive player did that, would you reset the shot clock?
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 09:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

I did not see the play because the station I was watching had us stuck to the Marquette-Mizzou game.

It is obvious I did not see the play in question, but based on your own description, that sounds like control to me. If a player throws the ball somewhere, they had to have control to do it. There is nothing in the rules that say control only applies to two hands first. If you cannot have control with one hand, how can a player dribble? And I have seen this very thing this year in a game I was calling and I had no problem with the call and I was not involved in the particular play.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 09:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Inquiring Minds Want To Know ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
A Louisville FG attempt rebounded off the rim and was going towards out of bounds. A Louisville player passed the ball with one hand into his backcourt. The official called a backcourt violation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
That sounds like control to me. If a player throws the ball somewhere, they had to have control to do it.
Let's change the original post to: "A Louisville player tapped, or tipped, the ball into his backcourt."

Same call?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 10:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Let's change the original post to: "A Louisville player tapped, or tipped, the ball into his backcourt."

Same call?
Maybe not, but I did not see the call. But if there was no doubt that he was saving the ball and took the ball and purposely threw the ball to someone, but it reached the BC, that is a violation in my book. I do not care if it was with one hand or not.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 12:16am
We don't rent pigs

I saw the play. Even though only one hand was used, I would say there was control and the ball was thrown rather than batted or tapped. Looked like a good call to me, just kind of a slow whistle.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

Same call?

If it's a tip, there's no way that 's constitute control.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I saw the play. Even though only one hand was used, I would say there was control and the ball was thrown rather than batted or tapped. Looked like a good call to me, just kind of a slow whistle.

So let's say you're refereeing a high school and the same situation applies. As the player is throwing the ball, he asks for a timeout. So you're going to award him the TO because he has control. In my mind, he doesn't have control for a timeout and thus this should not be a backcourt violation. I would like to hear other views on this play as it is common enough.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 12:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
So let's say you're refereeing a high school and the same situation applies. As the player is throwing the ball, he asks for a timeout. So you're going to award him the TO because he has control. In my mind, he doesn't have control for a timeout and thus this should not be a backcourt violation. I would like to hear other views on this play as it is common enough.
The only reason this is seen as control, is because he threw the ball to the backcourt. I do not know how someone on the end line only taps the ball and the ball projects to the backcourt without someone throwing it there. As it relates to a timeout, I would not be quick to grant a timeout of a ball that is about to be thrown somewhere.

Is this not why we all are judged based on our judgment and understanding of the game. Someone is going to judge whether you are right or not. When this happen in my game, the coaches did not like it. But our assignor was at the game and if he felt we were wrong, he could have said something. That is really all that matters at the end of the day. These officials I am sure talked about it if they were wrong. And I would not be surprised if it was brought up if they were right.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 12:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
If he's throwing it, he's holding it even if it's briefly. So, if his teammate is requesting a TO while he is doing this, you grant it.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 02:48pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I watched it and thought "Hey! Wait a minute! Isn't that backcourt?" It was more along the lines of "Did that really happen?" I think that was the reaction of the official, too. He got the call right & that is what is important.

At least IMO.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

If I remember the play correctly (too many games in a short period for my tired mind), they didn't call it right away. Didn't they go to the monitor? Or am I confusing it with another game where they went to the monitor to check on a shot clock violation and ended up calling something different (at least according to the commentators).
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 08:20am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Don't think they went to the monitor. But the opposing coach was heard by the broadcast crew. Just a s-l-o-w whistle.
Old Wed Mar 25, 2009, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

If anyone wants to see the play in question; go to March Madness on Demand at CBS Sports. it's the Louisville-Sienna game and it happens at 19:30 of the second half.

http://mmod.ncaa.com/video/hq?ts=123...e2a0b4ae4&w=90