The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 21, 2009, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

legal ball

Question 10 I believe on the test is about the number of pannels on a legal basket ball. I got this one wrong because I couldn't find the specific number anywhere in the books. Any thoughts?
Old Mon Sep 21, 2009, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
Question 10 I believe on the test is about the number of pannels on a legal basket ball. I got this one wrong because I couldn't find the specific number anywhere in the books. Any thoughts?
Start at the front of your rule book, and start reading. You'll find it in the first few pages. There is something regarding the pantone color and some info on the panels I think.
Old Mon Sep 21, 2009, 01:17pm
Ch1town

Yep, rule 1 should bring you home
Old Mon Sep 21, 2009, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

There was a rule change in the 2003-04 season that deleted "the previously required eight panels on a legal basketball."
Old Mon Sep 21, 2009, 07:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Is The Ball Inflated Or Stuffed ???

NFHS Rule 1: SECTION 12 BALL
ART. 1 The ball shall meet the following specifications:
a. Its solid color shall be the approved orange shade or natural color.
b. It shall be spherical.
c. It shall have a deeply-pebbled cover with horizontally shaped panels bonded tightly to the rubber carcass.
d. The circumference shall be:
1. Within a minimum of 291/2 inches to a maximum of 30 inches for high school boys competition.
2. Within a minimum of 281/2 inches to a maximum of 29 inches for high school girls competition.
e. The weight shall be:
1. Within a minimum of 20 ounces to a maximum of 22 ounces for high school boys competition.
2. Within a minimum of 18 ounces to a maximum of 20 ounces for high school girls competition.
f. The black rubber rib separating the panels shall not exceed ¼ inch in width.
g. The ball shall include the NFHS Authenticating Mark. The mark can be displayed in either format: A current list of NFHS authenticated products can be found on the Web site, nfhs.org.
NOTE: By state association adoption, either legal-size ball may be used for boys junior high school competition.
ART. 2 The ball shall be inflated to an air pressure such that when it is dropped to the playing surface from a height of 6 feet, measured to the bottom of the ball, it shall rebound to a height, measured to the top of the ball, of not less than 49 inches when it strikes on its least resilient spot, nor more than 54 inches when it strikes on its most resilient spot.
NOTE: To be legal, the air pressure which will give the required reaction must be stamped on it. The pressure for game use must make the ball bounce legally.
ART. 3 The home team shall provide a ball which meets the specifications. The referee shall be the sole judge of the legality of the ball and may select a ball provided by the visiting team.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Sep 22, 2009, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

I needed to slow down and read these question over a few times before I answer next time. I missed several because I read them wrong. This one included. Maybe I should have one more or one less beer next time.