The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 16, 2009, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Anybody see this?

Can't recall the teams this weekend, probably big ten tourney.

Bang, bang out of bounds play. Hightower dramatically as leads sells call that we are now going the other way. Center comes in and has his hands on Ed's hips with his head bowed, never making eye contact as he tells Hightower what he saw. Ed is seemingly glaring at him. Ed changes his call.

Center looked a 14 year kid fessing up to his father that he snuck the car out for spin. You had to see it, pretty funny.

"Ed....ahh,ahh, eerrr, eerr, I, I, I'm sure it's blue ball."

It of course was the right call, just was a funny scene as the camera had a tight shot of them both.
Old Mon Mar 16, 2009, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

That is exactly why I don't care for Ed's over-demonstrative mechanics. They certainly don't make his calls any more correct.

They only make it difficult for a partner to provide help after he has emphatically signaled forty-seven times in one direction.
Old Mon Mar 16, 2009, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
That is exactly why I don't care for Ed's over-demonstrative mechanics. They certainly don't make his calls any more correct.

They only make it difficult for a partner to provide help after he has emphatically signaled forty-seven times in one direction.

He was not happy he changed his call, but it clearly was the correct one.

We get the Big Ten network here and they have classic games on. Currently Wake Forest Illinois from 2004 is running, Steve Welmer, Ted Hillary and Hightower who looks about 20 pounds lighter.
Old Mon Mar 16, 2009, 08:34pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadaref View Post
they only make it difficult for a partner to provide help after he has emphatically signaled forty-seven times in one direction.
Funny. Wife and I watched a couple of these games, and it's interesting to hear her chuckle outloud at some of his displays.
Old Mon Mar 16, 2009, 09:15pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

Agreed a hunert %. I've seen guys at all levels be over-demonstrative and it has always come back to bite them. IMO, he's well past confident and into the cockiness area.
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 06:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Agreed a hunert %. I've seen guys at all levels be over-demonstrative and it has always come back to bite them. IMO, he's well past confident and into the cockiness area.
I was at a great sectional final game this past weekend that was as dramatic as you can get, packed gym, lead swings and a last second shot from half court for the win. I barely noticed the refs as they were three of the best in the State. That's the way it should be.
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 10:58am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP View Post
Funny. Wife and I watched a couple of these games, and it's interesting to hear her chuckle outloud at some of his displays.
If she chuckled at that, have her look at the photoshop thread on this board. She'll be guffawing!
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
I barely noticed the refs as they were three of the best in the State. That's the way it should be.
No, that is not the way it should be. The officials should do their job's properly; many times that includes taking actions which makes one's self standout. Saying that a good officiated game is one where the officials aren't noticed is a myth spread by fanboys.
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 06:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
No, that is not the way it should be. The officials should do their job's properly; many times that includes taking actions which makes one's self standout. Saying that a good officiated game is one where the officials aren't noticed is a myth spread by fanboys.
Bingo! We have a winner!
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 06:25pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Bingo! We have a winner!
Coaches often say this.

It's like anything - it depends; sometimes an in-your-face ref does a good job and there was reason to be like that. Sometimes there was no reason or a bad job was done.