The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Is there a doctor in the house? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/52272-there-doctor-house.html)

Mark Padgett Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:39pm

Is there a doctor in the house?

HS JV rec this morning. Games are co-ed. Second game, middle of Q3, one of the girls gets hit really hard in the back of the head with a pass. She goes down but is not unconscious. We stop play immediately and her mom comes out of the stands. She waves for some guy to come out too. He gets down and looks at the girl, who is definitely disoriented. He pulls a little flashlight out of his coat pocket and checks her pupils. He says she seems to be OK and to go get her an ice pack. My partner asks the guy if he's sure she's OK. The guy gets this patronizing look on his face and says, "Yes, I'm sure. I'm a neurosurgeon." My partner steps back and replies, "Oh".

BTW - she was fine but did not return to the game.

mbyron Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 588303)
The guy gets this patronizing look on his face and says, "Yes, I'm sure. I'm a neurosurgeon."

"Oh, ok, you aren't wearing your hospital ID, and I didn't notice the distinctive neurosurgeon dick-ishness until you spoke. Thanks for your help!"

Juulie Downs Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 588312)
"Oh, ok, you aren't wearing your hospital ID, and I didn't notice the distinctive neurosurgeon dick-ishness until you spoke. Thanks for your help!"

Or, "Yea, but I didn't know how much experience you have with cranial-contracouis-uvea-inflammation..."

Adam Sat Mar 14, 2009 01:02pm

Quote:

Nice. Beautiful, brings a tear to my eye.

SWMOzebra Sat Mar 14, 2009 01:33pm

Quote:

He pulls a little flashlight out of his coat pocket...

With this kind of credential, he could have just as easily been a car mechanic or a termite inspector! :rolleyes:

fullor30 Sat Mar 14, 2009 01:39pm

Quote:

HS JV rec this morning. Games are co-ed. Second game, middle of Q3, one of the girls gets hit really hard in the back of the head with a pass. She goes down but is not unconscious. We stop play immediately and her mom comes out of the stands. She waves for some guy to come out too. He gets down and looks at the girl, who is definitely disoriented. He pulls a little flashlight out of his coat pocket and checks her pupils. He says she seems to be OK and to go get her an ice pack. My partner asks the guy if he's sure she's OK. The guy gets this patronizing look on his face and says, "Yes, I'm sure. I'm a neurosurgeon." My partner steps back and replies, "Oh".

BTW - she was fine but did not return to the game.

Had the opposite happen during little league years ago. A boy gets hit in the nose and is bleeding heavily as I come upon the scene at start telling the guy helping him what to do.........someone whispers to me "he's an ear, nose and throat doctor". I sit down and shutup.

Mark Padgett Sat Mar 14, 2009 01:53pm

What's the difference between doctors and God?

God doesn't think he's a doctor.

OK, Juulie, you can use "she's". ;)

JugglingReferee Sat Mar 14, 2009 02:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juulie Downs (Post 588315)
Or, "Yea, but I didn't know how much experience you have with cranial-contracouis-uvea-inflammation..."

I don't know what that means, but I like it. Consider it stolen! :D

mbyron Sat Mar 14, 2009 06:50pm

It's 'contrecoup'. I'm sure that's what's confusing Jug. ;)

JugglingReferee Sat Mar 14, 2009 07:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 588388)
It's 'contrecoup'. I'm sure that's what's confusing Jug. ;)

Ya, that was it.

BDS Sat Mar 14, 2009 09:25pm

Did he stay at a Holiday Inn last night?

WreckRef Sun Mar 15, 2009 02:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDS (Post 588416)
Did he stay at a Holiday Inn last night?

No, I believe he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express...

rockyroad Sun Mar 15, 2009 03:48pm

Quote:

Now that's funny - I don't care who you are.

Had a HS game years ago where two guys on the same time smacked heads. Back of one head to the chin of the other. Both go down. Chin boy is bleeding and is OUT. We get coaches and trainers out there and they are taking care of everything. Two men come out of the stands and ask me if they can go out on the court to "help". I ask them who they are and the one says "I am Dr. so-and-so, the director of surgery at SW Washington Medical Center, and this is my Chief Surgeon who also happens to be that players father." They went and helped.:p

canuckrefguy Sun Mar 15, 2009 04:48pm

Quote:

Seems to me he had the same look that we get on our faces when someone asks us "you sure that was a block?" :rolleyes:

TonyT Sun Mar 15, 2009 07:23pm

I have heard it all now

A JV Rec. Co-ed basketball game. What is this world coming to. What a JOKE!!!!!