The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Signal the '3' then wave it off...... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/52230-signal-3-then-wave-off.html)

IUgrad92 Thu Mar 12, 2009 06:01pm

Signal the '3' then wave it off......

What do you think??

Indiana HS Hoops :: North Daviess. Barr-Reeve. WOW. | Indiana HS Hoops | Northern Southern and Central Indiana High School Boys Basketball News

zm1283 Thu Mar 12, 2009 06:12pm

Hard to tell without a clock or horn on the video.

Adam Thu Mar 12, 2009 06:19pm

It doesn't look great to mark the three then call off the shot, but he started waving it off before it went in, so it's not horrible.

Judging by the light, though, he seems to have missed the call. I know the light doesn't matter in HS ball, I'm only using it as a gauge since the sound is not there.

justacoach Thu Mar 12, 2009 06:45pm

NO SHOT!!!!!!

Travel on the bunny hop after gaining possession before shot...

JugglingReferee Thu Mar 12, 2009 06:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 587745)
It doesn't look great to mark the three then call off the shot, but he started waving it off before it went in, so it's not horrible.

Judging by the light, though, he seems to have missed the call. I know the light doesn't matter in HS ball, I'm only using it as a gauge since the sound is not there.

I agree that using the light is acceptable with no sound. One of the comments in the YouTube page is that you can't end the game on a travel. I tend to agree - some amount of time will be on the clock - unless of course it occurs so close to 0:00.0 that no official sees greater than 0:00.0.

Not horrible, but not correct either.

fullor30 Thu Mar 12, 2009 08:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 587746)
NO SHOT!!!!!!

Travel on the bunny hop after gaining possession before shot...

Whaa???

just another ref Thu Mar 12, 2009 08:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 587747)
...... you can't end the game on a travel............unless of course it occurs so close to 0:00.0 that no official sees greater than 0:00.0.

So, in other words, you can end the game on a travel.

mutantducky Thu Mar 12, 2009 08:36pm

just a lil bunny hop:).. yeah without the audio hard to tell.

JugglingReferee Thu Mar 12, 2009 08:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 587766)
So, in other words, you can end the game on a travel.

Or a kicked ball, or an OB situation, or an BC violation, or a .........

Adam Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:16am

I don't think the camera gives us enough of an angle to make the travel call on this. If he catches on one foot, he's moving so he can jump off that foot and land on two (jump stop). In that case, it's legal.

Berkut Fri Mar 13, 2009 09:31am

I think you should not do that, but it is hardly any kind of travesty or anything.

JRutledge Fri Mar 13, 2009 09:45am

I do not see the problem. The signal for the shot is about where he is leaving the floor to shoot the shot. If the player does not get the shot off, then you waive it off. The two signals are not one in the same or they are not directly related. You are not counting the basket, then waiving off the shot.

Peace

JugglingReferee Fri Mar 13, 2009 09:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 587917)
I do not see the problem. The signal for the shot is about where he is leaving the floor to shoot the shot. If the player does not get the shot off, then you waive it off. The two signals are not one in the same or they are not directly related. You are not counting the basket, then waiving off the shot.

Peace

I disagree with this logic, especially when both signals come from the same official.

I never signal a three-point attempt until the ball has been released from the shooters' hands. Because an attempt is not an attempt unless it is released before the buzzer, the covering official knows for certain that if successful, the goal will count. If it won't count, there is no need to signal that the shot was from outside some curve on the court, as it this shot contains no information that is useful to someone.

I will never be seen signalling a 3-point attempt, only to waive off the shot because it came after the clock buzzed.

JRutledge Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 587923)
I disagree with this logic, especially when both signals come from the same official.

I never signal a three-point attempt until the ball has been released from the shooters' hands. Because an attempt is not an attempt unless it is released before the buzzer, the covering official knows for certain that if successful, the goal will count. If it won't count, there is no need to signal that the shot was from outside some curve on the court, as it this shot contains no information that is useful to someone.

I will never be seen signalling a 3-point attempt, only to waive off the shot because it came after the clock buzzed.

Well that is you and that is fine with me. I am just saying that I am looking at the feet when they alight for the floor. I rarely see players shoot the ball when they are jumping from behind the line. The shot going off has nothing to do with the signal. All you are signaling is the attempt, you are not signaling a counted basket.

If anything this is a very rare situation in the first place and not at all a big deal. It is not unusual to see people here get all worried about a situation that in real life I have never heard anyone complain about.

Peace

GoodwillRef Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:09am

The Center official "marks" the three point shot as soon as the player's feet leave the floor (the ball is still in his hands)...I like to wait until the player has returned to the floor to "mark" the three point attempt...this helps me bring the shooter back to the floor safely. It also eliminated "marking" a three point attempt and then have the shooter pass the ball.