The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

Marquette-St. John's Correctable Error Play

The refs are Jim Burr, J.D. Collins, and Tim Clougherty.
With 13:09 left in the 2nd half, Marquette winning 47-20, St. John's picked up their 7th team foul when they were going for a steal. St. John's coach, Norm Roberts, didn't like the call and got a technical foul. They shoot the two free throws for the technical. Marquette is getting ready to inbound the ball by the table and it appears like they are trying to let them know, but the ball is put into play. 10 seconds runs off, then the horn sounds. They realize that they should be shooting. They shoot the bonus throws with the lane cleared. They then give the ball back to Marquette. During the next timeout, ESPN said that J.D. told them that since they had already inbounded the ball that would use that as the point of interruption. I was thinking that NCAA 2-12-5 would apply, "unless the correction involves the failure to award a merited free throw(s) and there has been no change of team possession since the error was made. In that case, play shall resume as after any normal free throw."

I'm only 20 and in college, so there's a chance I could be interpreting it the wrong way. Here's 2 Final Four refs and Tim has some 1st round game experience, so you would think that they would have handled it right. Did anybody else see this and what would have been the right way to resume play after the correctable error?
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 03:27am
Official Forum Member

They kicked it.
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 05:04am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Slightly OT

1) Did anyone watch this game? Marguette was winning 38-10 at halftime. 10!

2) Also, anyone see the WV vs ND game? ND down by a bunch in the second half. ND Coach, Mike Brey, "didn't like" a non-foul call and stormed onto the court in the middle of the live action to stick a finger in the refs face? WHACK!

PS - It was obvious Brey was looking to motivate his team. It worked for a few minutes and they climbed back to within 7.....but, they eventually lost by 12.
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcusmav View Post
The refs are Jim Burr, J.D. Collins, and Tim Clougherty.
With 13:09 left in the 2nd half, Marquette winning 47-20, St. John's picked up their 7th team foul when they were going for a steal. St. John's coach, Norm Roberts, didn't like the call and got a technical foul. They shoot the two free throws for the technical. Marquette is getting ready to inbound the ball by the table and it appears like they are trying to let them know, but the ball is put into play. 10 seconds runs off, then the horn sounds. They realize that they should be shooting. They shoot the bonus throws with the lane cleared. They then give the ball back to Marquette. During the next timeout, ESPN said that J.D. told them that since they had already inbounded the ball that would use that as the point of interruption. I was thinking that NCAA 2-12-5 would apply, "unless the correction involves the failure to award a merited free throw(s) and there has been no change of team possession since the error was made. In that case, play shall resume as after any normal free throw."

I'm only 20 and in college, so there's a chance I could be interpreting it the wrong way. Here's 2 Final Four refs and Tim has some 1st round game experience, so you would think that they would have handled it right. Did anybody else see this and what would have been the right way to resume play after the correctable error?
I also watched the game, the foul (team's 7th) occurred near the division line, table side. St John's coach receives a T (team's 8th). After Marquette shoots the 2 techs, the ball is inbounded at the division line, but opposite the table. Not sure why they went opposite? After they discovered the error, as Nevada says, they kicked it.
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Yes, this high profile D-I crew made a mistake...

...and provided us all with a lesson. Even big-timers can make mistakes if they are too hasty. The crew should have slowed down andcommunicated with table personnel about how many team fouls there were after the personal foul was called or at least observed the number of fouls on the scoreboards. One of the cre members should have had an idea that they were in the bonus. After determinig they weere in the bonus, the crew should have discussed the sequence of shots and where the Point of Interruption would be in order to put the ball in play.

Since they did things out of the order that occurred, the ball should have been put in play like any other free throw--players should have been lined up on the free throw lane to rebound a miss or inbound the ball after the free throw was made.
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 09:54am
Esteemed Participant

[QUOTE=rsox34;587601
Since they did things out of the order that occurred, .[/QUOTE]

While I agree with your post and the idea that even the "big dogs" make mistakes (imagine that, they are human too), they did NOT do things out of order. They were correct to shoot the the T free throws first and the the POI should have been the free throws for the bonus.
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
I also watched the game, the foul (team's 7th) occurred near the division line, table side. St John's coach receives a T (team's 8th). After Marquette shoots the 2 techs, the ball is inbounded at the division line, but opposite the table. Not sure why they went opposite? After they discovered the error, as Nevada says, they kicked it.
Why wouldn't it be opposite? Isn't the correct T admin 2 shots + ball at division line opposite table.?
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 10:31am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz View Post
Why wouldn't it be opposite? Isn't the correct T admin 2 shots + ball at division line opposite table.?
No - not in NCAA ball. Most T's in NCAA are two shots and then go to POI. I believe the exception to that is intentional or flagrant T's are put back in play by the offended team at the division line on either side of the court (team chooses). So if there had been no bonus free throws, the ball should have been put back in play at the designated spot nearest where the ball was when the T was called.