The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Ref's whistle tour stopped

Guys and gals

I was informed by one of my assigners, by a 2 line email, that my services for the coming season are no longer required.

Should I:

1. be grateful as s/he gave me less than 10 games per year
2. be pissed as no reason was given, in fact no feedback was given to me over 5 yrs
3. be grateful as the games were poorly attended (never saw more than 50 people at a game)
4. be pissed that I my fingernail grip on the college game is now gone
5. be grateful that i no longer have to attend her/his summer camp ($150)

any other perspectives would be welcomed

Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

I'm guessing that you are feeling all of the above.

The question is what are you going to do now.

Do you still have the desire to officiate at that level or higher? If so, then you need to take a different path, but continue to pursue your goal. You can't allow the opinion of one person or even a select group of people deter you from what you want. Give it your best effort.

BTW I know a guy who went to a JC camp and was not hired, so he went to a D2 and got hired. Then he went to a D1 camp and got hired there too! All of this was in the same summer.
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 12:26pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Concur with Nevada. Without being flippant, what do ya wanna be when you grow up? How do you spell success? HS? HS V? College? DIII? DII?

Now, I understand much of this depends on where you live too. There are many leagues and Assignors in my area. Is that the case for yours? If so, maybe move on. If not, there are ways to ask questions in a nice way without being accusatory or burning bridges. What happened? What could you do better? Personalities? Not enough opportunities? Ever have evals? Sheesh, if this came out of the blue, that's pretty sorry.

I wish you luck. If you have the passion, I hope it works out and you show them it's their loss.
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 12:28pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by refprof View Post
Guys and gals

I was informed by one of my assigners, by a 2 line email, that my services for the coming season are no longer required.
From what I've been told, this is pretty standard at the college level. In fact, I was told that if you work a conference that requires you to sign a contract each season, you simply stop getting a contract sent to you. No 2-line email explaining why. Just no contract.

I'd say pretty much the same thing as Nevadaref. Depending where you are on the East Coast, you should be able to get to a different camp and try to get picked up somewhere else.

Good luck, whatever you decide.
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 01:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

At least you were told.

Getting fired is common in this business. If you are not fired at some point, you are not doing something right. I am sure all those things you listed are true and there is nothing wrong with feeling all of them. What you should do is decide if working that level is what you want. Not everyone is cut out for that level (on court and off court). If you decide that working that level is fun, then continue to attend camps and try to get hired by someone else. And if you were fired based on your performance and you feel it was wrong, go back to the camp.

If I were you I would look at this as an opportunity rather than just a failure. This situation just might make you a better official in the long run.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 01:17pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Michael Jordan said...

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."

So you were fired once. Go back to camp and get higher.
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 01:44pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."

That is a great quote, thanks for sharing JR.
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 02:19pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post

A great quote, yes. Unless you want my uncle's take on it (BTW, he taught at a Big 10 university): Don't drag your a## in misery, pick it up off the pavement and do something with it! (Of course, before he got his PhD, he was a Marine!)