The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   5 Second Count (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/52043-5-second-count.html)

Refsmitty Tue Mar 03, 2009 04:38pm

5 Second Count

GJH game last nite - girl dribbling while being closely defended I start count - girl continues to dribble across the court close to the division line. I call the violation.

Of course the coach says how can that be - she was attacking the basket. My response was that the count stops when the torso is past the defender or the dribbler backs up to avoid the 6 foot rule - was it the correct call?:)

Adam Tue Mar 03, 2009 04:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refsmitty (Post 585118)
GJH game last nite - girl dribbling while being closely defended I start count - girl continues to dribble across the court close to the division line. I call the violation.

Of course the coach says how can that be - she was attacking the basket. My response was that the count stops when the torso is past the defender or the dribbler backs up to avoid the 6 foot rule - was it the correct call?:)

Yes, I had one in a JVB game. Player started from about 25 feet from the hoop, drove to the right corner (I was T on that side), then started backing out from the endline. I actually got to 6 before calling it.

Coach, yelling across the court as I transition to new lead, "What is separation to you?"
Me, "Six feet."

mbyron Tue Mar 03, 2009 04:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 585121)
Coach, yelling across the court as I transition to new lead, "What is separation to you?"
Me, "More than six feet."

Fixed it for ya. ;)

Adam Tue Mar 03, 2009 05:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 585122)
Fixed it for ya. ;)

Too many words. :)

fullor30 Tue Mar 03, 2009 05:20pm

Quote:

SECTION 10 CLOSELY GUARDED
A closely guarded situation occurs when a player in control of the ball in his/her
team’s frontcourt, is continuously guarded by any opponent who is within six feet
of the player who is holding or dribbling the ball. The distance shall be measured
from the forward foot/feet of the defender to the forward foot/feet of the ball
handler. A closely guarded count shall be terminated when the offensive player in
control of the ball gets his/her head and shoulders past the defensive player.

Just semantics, but remember the shampoo.

mick Tue Mar 03, 2009 05:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 585121)
Yes, I had one in a JVB game. Player started from about 25 feet from the hoop, drove to the right corner (I was T on that side), then started backing out from the endline. I actually got to 6 before calling it.

Me, "Six feet."

If the defender remains within 6 feet, but the dribbler is moving away from the defender [perhaps toward the backcourt, away from the defender], does that constitute having the shoulders and torso *past the defender* ?

Adam Tue Mar 03, 2009 05:50pm

Interesting question, Mick. I'd say no, but I'm willing to be convinced.

Follow up question: Would it matter if the dribbler turned to head towards the backcourt instead of backing up in that direction?

mbyron Tue Mar 03, 2009 05:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 585127)
If the defender remains within 6 feet, but the dribbler is moving away from the defender [perhaps toward the backcourt, away from the defender], does that constitute having the shoulders and torso *past the defender* ?

I was taught that "past the defender" is relative to the basket, so the ball handler would have to be moving toward the basket in order to meet this test and suspend the count.

Adam Tue Mar 03, 2009 05:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 585134)
I was taught that "past the defender" is relative to the basket, so the ball handler would have to be moving toward the basket in order to meet this test and <strike>suspend</strike> terminate the count.

I fixed it for you. You would never suspend a 5 second count.

:D

mbyron Tue Mar 03, 2009 06:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 585135)
I fixed it for you. You would never suspend a 5 second count.

:D

Sure you would. "Termination" is simply permanent suspension. :p

DonInKansas Tue Mar 03, 2009 07:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 585126)
A closely guarded count shall be terminated when the offensive player in
control of the ball gets his/her head and shoulders past the defensive player.

Just semantics, but remember the shampoo.

The shampoo rule! I love it!:D

BillyMac Tue Mar 03, 2009 09:01pm

Formulated with a fresh, clean scent ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonInKansas (Post 585152)
The shampoo rule!

Classic.

BillyMac Tue Mar 03, 2009 09:13pm

Yeah, That's Right, I'm Old, What You Gonna Do About It ???

Quote:

GJH game last night, girl dribbling while being closely defended, I start count, girl continues to dribble across the court close to the division line. I call the violation. Of course the coach says how can that be, she was attacking the basket. My response was that the count stops when the torso is past the defender or the dribbler backs up to avoid the 6 foot rule, was it the correct call?

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate." (Cool Hand Luke)

You were 100% correct in your call, but you failed to listen to the coaches comment, which is why your reply fell on deaf ears. His complaint was that "she was attacking the basket". Many years ago, probably when this coach was playing, if a dribbler, while being closely guarded, dribbled past the twenty-eight foot hash mark, which still appears on some older courts, she got a new five second count started. Back then you cold hold for four seconds, dribble for four seconds, dribble past the hash mark, and get to dribble for four more seconds, and then hold for four seconds, with no violation, a total of 16 seconds. The maximum limit today is twelve seconds. Old Coach, old rule, maybe a young official, who never knew any other closely guarded rule.

bradfordwilkins Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 585184)
"What we've got here is a failure to communicate." (Cool Hand Luke)

You were 100% correct in your call, but you failed to listen to the coaches comment, which is why your reply fell on deaf ears. His complaint was that "she was attacking the basket". Many years ago, probably when this coach was playing, if a dribbler, while being closely guarded, dribbled past the twenty-eight foot hash mark, which still appears on some older courts, she got a new five second count started. Back then you cold hold for four seconds, dribble for four seconds, dribble past the hash mark, and get to dribble for four more seconds, and then hold for four seconds, with no violation, a total of 16 seconds. The maximum limit today is twelve seconds. Old Coach, old rule, maybe a young official, who never knew any other closely guarded rule.

Haha love it -- and probably exactly what happened!

biz Wed Mar 04, 2009 08:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 585184)
The maximum limit today is twelve seconds.

Don't mean to argue semantics, but that's what we do here (a lot of the time).

Hold for 4.9999..., dribble for 4.9999...., hold for 4.9999... = 14.9997 seconds which is almost 3 seconds more than the 12 seconds that you suggest is the maximum.