Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
To read them in one place.
Not all of them....But, MOST of them.
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK View Post
Not a fan of this one. In a close gamy the team that is behind deserves to have an opportunity to get the ball back. With no shot clock the team that is leading may never have to lose possession. What is to stop a team from killing he clock after the first made basket? Seems wrong to me.
They do have the option of playing legitamate defense....get the steal, cause a turnover, or trap a player into a 5 count.
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I'm nearly certain that CMCoach meant to extend the box toward (in fact, to) the end-line, not toward the division line.

The box would then be the same size as the NCAA box.
Yes, I know. I am saying that to some coaches where the box is doesn't matter. They will still be out on the floor or standing on the division line.
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
My point is that if the NFHS is concerned about costs when allowing "the most common color", why not just frickin allow the team's secondary color of pre-wrap?
How about the teams just get the correct color? Seems pretty simple.

What do you plan on doing when a team is wearing white uniforms with red and yellow trim...is red the secondary color or is it yellow?
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
pre-wrap...does NOT look "cool" -- it serves a purpose.
If it doesn't look cool then why are teams coordinating the color of the wrap with their uniforms? If the way it looked wasn't important then this team which you speak of wouldn't have gone out and bought a bunch of pre-wrap in the secondary color of their uniforms, rather they would have got the standard, and legal, beige color.
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 09:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"But The Officials Let Me Wear This Last Week" ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
How about the teams just get the correct color? Seems pretty simple.
Agree, wholeheartedly. Why can't high school coaches instruct their players how to properly wear their uniforms when the uniforms are distributed at the beginning of the season? This ain't rocket science, or brain surgery:

Headbands and wristbands must be white, black, beige, or a single solid color similar to the torso of the jersey. All players must wear the same color headbands and wristbands. Undershirts must be similar in color to the jersey.

I may have mentioned this before, but it's worth repeating. I work Catholic middle school games on the weekends. The assigner told us at the beginning of the season that if he walks into the gym during one of our games, and if he sees an illegal undershirt, sweatband, or headband, that we would not get paid for that game. Guess what? No "fashion police" problems for the entire season, and these are twelve year old kids, coached by volunteer coaches.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Mar 05, 2009, 03:03am
Official Forum Member

How about making it a delay game. Warning if #1, T is #2

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2009, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

OK, this is the place to come and get chewed up and spit out so here goes.
1. Make the ruling on inadvertently giving a throw in to the wrong team correctable. 99% of officials blow it dead anyway and correct it so make it the rule. Should never happen but if it does fix it. Not fair to the teams playing. There would need to be a timeframe for correction but not as long as the current correctable errors.
2. Whatever state rule you use for a running clock (Missouri uses 30) I would handle this way. Once it reaches 30 and we are in the fourth qtr. Do not go back to stopping the clock until the team has it under 20. The insanity of 30, 28, 30, 28 and the corresponding stop, start, stop, start is crazy. It's a blowout, end of story.
3. Make Bobby Knight attend officials conferences around the nation so we can grill him on how many games he should be allowed to coach or comment about in a week because what he is doing is too much. He is tired and old and the ax he is grinding toward officials is tiring. ESPN needs to muzzle him.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2009, 08:40am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by muxbule View Post
3. Make Bobby Knight attend officials conferences around the nation so we can grill him on how many games he should be allowed to coach or comment about in a week because what he is doing is too much. He is tired and old and the ax he is grinding toward officials is tiring. ESPN needs to muzzle him.
There isn't a muzzle big enough for Bobby unfortunately. Indiana tried to muzzle him, but he couldn't keep his trap shut and got fired. They thought that was the ultimate muzzle, but he popped up at Texas Tech. They didn't win enough to need to muzzle him, so he went to ESPN. They'll never find a muzzle big enough for him. He may need the Saddam treatment.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2009, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

rule changes

I totally agree with picking up with the 10 sec. count after a time out, but don't think it would be possible without a shot clock, there would be too much confusion without the shot clock.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2009, 03:31pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain View Post
I totally agree with picking up with the 10 sec. count after a time out, but don't think it would be possible without a shot clock, there would be too much confusion without the shot clock.
You count to 6, then Team A is granted a TO. Prior to handling the ball to the inbounder, you tell him/her that there are 4 seconds remaining.

FIBA games in my area are split into two methods: those with and those without a shot clock. The procedure I outlined above is the same whether or not a SC is present. I have never had a problem in 3 years.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2009, 03:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain View Post
I disagree with doing this. At most, a coach can only use this 5 times a game. In practice, you generally only see it once.

If you do it, is it only for timeouts, or will you also pick up where you left off if there is a defensive foul in the backcourt? What about a kick, or a defensive tip OOB?
Old Thu Mar 05, 2009, 03:41pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I disagree with doing this. At most, a coach can only use this 5 times a game. In practice, you generally only see it once.

If you do it, is it only for timeouts, or will you also pick up where you left off if there is a defensive foul in the backcourt? What about a kick, or a defensive tip OOB?
TOs - continue with 10-second count. Ball last touched by B and goes OB - continue with 10-second count. Team B foul or kicked ball, reset to a new 10-second count.
Old Wed May 06, 2009, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
NO 10 second count for the Free Throw.

Has any one in the entire universe ever called this??????

I actually had one this year and didn't call it because I knew the coach would go nuts.
i wouldn't split hairs here, even if they do go over 10 seconds, i prolly won't do much about it unless they do it consistently where it's just making the game drag on...and i'd only call it after giving the team a warning. Like if the player takes 12 seconds, then 13 sec, then 12 sec, i'd go to him and tell him to cut it out but something like 6 sec, 14 sec, 9 sec, 8 sec, 7 sec, i wouldn't really split hairs with him there...and at the end of a close game, i'd bite my whistle unless i have to call it (like it's been 20 sec already), the game should be decided by the players not the refs...
Old Wed May 06, 2009, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniu View Post
the game should be decided by the players not the refs...
So the official called the violation for the thrower taking too long and the official decided the game? I would say the player should have decided to shoot a little bit sooner; he decided the game by violating.