The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Unhappy

I don't usually post about my partners, but last night's partner embodied many of the stereotypes that we complain about amongst ourselves on this board.

First, though, I have to admit that I was late to the game site due to the unbelievably heavy traffic. I arrived at the site only 10 minutes prior to the scheduled start.

My partner was wearing pants with a belt, never a good sign, and they were the wrong color, to boot. So right away, I was leery of him. Here's just a sampling of his actual calls last night:

Rebounding foul: "#34 is climbing!!" (while giving the "over the back" signal);

3 seconds: "33's in there too long!!"

Ball slips out of shooter's hands OOB: "You looooooooost it! White!"

Travel: "He stepped before the contact!!"

Not good times

Chuck
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe I am feeble......

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I don't usually post about my partners, but last night's partner embodied many of the stereotypes that we complain about amongst ourselves on this board.

First, though, I have to admit that I was late to the game site due to the unbelievably heavy traffic. I arrived at the site only 10 minutes prior to the scheduled start.

My partner was wearing pants with a belt, never a good sign, and they were the wrong color, to boot. So right away, I was leery of him. Here's just a sampling of his actual calls last night:

Rebounding foul: "#34 is climbing!!" (while giving the "over the back" signal);

3 seconds: "33's in there too long!!"

Ball slips out of shooter's hands OOB: "You looooooooost it! White!"

Travel: "He stepped before the contact!!"

Not good times

Chuck
Chuck, couple of questions:

What's wrong with wearing a belt? I take it that this is not part of the uniform in North America.

"3 seconds: "33's in there too long!!" - what's wrong with this?

Maybe I have more to learn than I thought - or perhaps it's just another example of my feebleness....

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 05:32pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Actually, sometimes I have found it to be good game management (not that that's more important than rules knowledge ) to yell, "Travel first" when there was a travel a split second before a foul involving the ball handler. I think it's an indication that I'm not making the "Richie Powers" call of travel to avoid deciding between a charge and a block.
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Maybe I am feeble......

Quote:
Originally posted by Oz Referee
Chuck, couple of questions:

What's wrong with wearing a belt? I take it that this is not part of the uniform in North America.
Although it's not specifically prohibited in the rulebook, wearing a belt at the high school level or above is generally frowned upon around here. Beltless (and loopless) pants are strongly encouraged.

Quote:
"3 seconds: "33's in there too long!!" - what's wrong with this?
Well, for one thing, he never said the "3 seconds" part. Just "33's in there too long!" Secondly, even if he had said the "3 seconds" part, he should've just stopped there. If you need to indicate the number, I suppose that's ok after announcing the violation, but just give the number. One important rule of thumb (in my book, anyway) is "The less said, the better". Say the bare minimum and then shut up. This even applies when trying to talk to a coach for "game management" purposes.

Chuck
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Most of the refs in our association wear black reffing pants with a belt. They seem to fit better and I think they look more athletic. Those beltless pants make the older guys look they have no butt or like they maybe had an accident. :-)

But I too could do without your partner's "play by play."

Z
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

My partner was wearing pants with a belt, never a good sign, and they were the wrong color, to boot. So right away, I was leery of him....
Who the heck wears a belt with gym shorts???
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Belted pants?
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck, thanks for the reply. Here in Oz I have never even seen a pair of beltless pants - all referees wear black dress pants with a black belt.

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 11:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Get with the times.

Belted pants are like wearing a shirt with a collar. Those are things of the past. And yes, if you cannot change with the times and wear a uniform that higher level officials are wearing, then what else are you not changing as time goes on. That is how you are judged around here. I am sure it is the same in other places. But then again, what the hell do I know.

Peace
Old Tue Jun 18, 2002, 05:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Most of the refs in our association wear black reffing pants with a belt. They seem to fit better and I think they look more athletic. Those beltless pants make the older guys look they have no butt or like they maybe had an accident. :-)

But I too could do without your partner's "play by play."

Z
Us older guys (btw, we prefer "mature") like the look of not having a butt. Although, we sometimes counter that with having a "slightly oversized" paunch.
Old Tue Jun 18, 2002, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Belted pants are like wearing a shirt with a collar.

Not true around here. Collared shirts not allowed, belted pants allowed.

Those are things of the past. And yes, if you cannot change with the times and wear a uniform that higher level officials are wearing, then what else are you not changing as time goes on.

So long as an official looks sharp, we judge them on their calls, communication and game management. But what do we know? I've seen some "higher level" officials with a gut that hangs out. Should I add more fat to my diet?

That is how you are judged around here. I am sure it is the same in other places. But then again, what the hell do I know.

Maybe not as much as you think.
Perhaps things are different in some places than others. Perhaps things are different at the high school level than at college.

Z

[Edited by zebraman on Jun 18th, 2002 at 08:32 AM]
Old Tue Jun 18, 2002, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

yup, collorless shirts and beltless pants are what we wear. But, soon collegiate bb officials will be required to wear pleated beltless pants...
Old Tue Jun 18, 2002, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
That is how you are judged around here. I am sure it is the same in other places. But then again, what the hell do I know.

Maybe not as much as you think.
Perhaps things are different in some places than others.
Here's how it works Z. When his area does things differently, it's because they're unique and special. He tells us all the time that things are done differently in diferent places. Yet, when his area does things the same as they do in other places, he's sure it's the same EVERYWHERE! Go figure!
Old Tue Jun 18, 2002, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Talking

When his area does things differently, it's because they're unique and special.

Do I need to add a new entry to "Rut's Rules?" Sure sounds like it. :-)

Z
Old Tue Jun 18, 2002, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

No need. The rules are constantly changing. You'll run out of white-out, trying to keep up!