The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Partner woes (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/5193-partner-woes.html)

Dan_ref Wed Jun 19, 2002 09:22pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
Hey, folks, can we get back to criticizing people who don't have a clue, instead of each other?

Not a good idea. Chuckie gets mad when we bring up the Bosox! :D

Sigh. That's not right, it just is not right. (Funny yes, right no.)

BktBallRef Wed Jun 19, 2002 11:22pm

Sure it's fashion but there's not much else to discuss!

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
What is the problem with wearing belted pants. I prefer the beltless but who cares as long as the pants are not faded, clean, and pressed. Personally, when it comes to pleated vs. non-pleated I think that the whole crew should be the same but the rules do not require it.

Mark, I'm curious. Why do you think that the entire crew should be the same with regards to pleated or non-pleated but you don't think the belted-beltless issue is a problem? It seems to me that the beltless issue would look noticeably worse than pleats and non-pleats. JMO.

BTW, when was the last time you saw I D1 men's official wearing belted slacks? I don't think I've seen it in several years.

Jurassic Referee Thu Jun 20, 2002 03:46am

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Quote:

Hey, folks, can we get back to criticizing people who don't have a clue, instead of each other?

I was talking about the Bosox not having a clue--not referring to Chuck at all.I would never say anything like that about him!If that wasn't clear,I hope it is now.

dblref Thu Jun 20, 2002 05:30am

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
It's all about being uniformed.

How stupid would it look for one official to have belted slacks and a collared shirt while his partner is wearing beltless and a v-neck?

I, personally, don't see a problem with an association requiring all officials to be dressed alike.

My association doesn't have any requirements other than shirts must be v-neck and shoes must be the same (all crew members wear black, or they all wear white). No requirement on pleated/non-pleated or belted/non-belted.

BktBallRef Thu Jun 20, 2002 10:00am

Quote:

Originally posted by dblref
Quote:

How stupid would it look for one official to have belted slacks and a collared shirt while his partner is wearing beltless and a v-neck?

I, personally, don't see a problem with an association requiring all officials to be dressed alike.

My association doesn't have any requirements other than shirts must be v-neck and shoes must be the same (all crew members wear black, or they all wear white). No requirement on pleated/non-pleated or belted/non-belted.

White shoes? Is that why they ran you out of Fayetteville? :D

zebraman Thu Jun 20, 2002 10:53am

I got a call from the assignor last school year asking if I could accept a "last-minute afternoon game" to work with a new guy. It was a girls frosh game at 3:45 at the same school as my varsity game so I figured no problem.

My partner showed up as I was ready to toss and he was wearing beat-up white (actually more like yellow-gray) tennis shoes and black sweats. He did have a real ref shirt (not Foot Locker) and a real whistle (but no lanyard). He dropped his whistle on the floor twice in the first half so I gave him a lanyard at halftime.

He actually called a good game for a newbie and I felt completely comfortable with him in the second half. Amazingly, he even knew that sliding after gaining control wasn't traveling and he gave the stop sign to the coach. He's going to be a good ref and he even dresses like one now. :-)

Z

Dan_ref Thu Jun 20, 2002 11:21am

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Quote:

I was talking about the Bosox not having a clue--not referring to Chuck at all.I would never say anything like that about him!If that wasn't clear,I hope it is now.

I knew what you meant, I guess I left out the smiley face.
Here it is! ======> :)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Jun 20, 2002 08:40pm

Re: Sure it's fashion but there's not much else to discuss!

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
What is the problem with wearing belted pants. I prefer the beltless but who cares as long as the pants are not faded, clean, and pressed. Personally, when it comes to pleated vs. non-pleated I think that the whole crew should be the same but the rules do not require it.

Mark, I'm curious. Why do you think that the entire crew should be the same with regards to pleated or non-pleated but you don't think the belted-beltless issue is a problem? It seems to me that the beltless issue would look noticeably worse than pleats and non-pleats. JMO.

BTW, when was the last time you saw I D1 men's official wearing belted slacks? I don't think I've seen it in several years.

I really cannot give you are reason for my opinion regarding belted/non-belted nor can I give you a reason for my opinion concerning pleated vs. non-pleated. I guess I will use the excuse that I may not know anything about art but I know what I like and what I do not like.

dblref Fri Jun 21, 2002 05:34am

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by dblref
Quote:

White shoes? Is that why they ran you out of Fayetteville? :D

Actually, I got Pentagon fever. This is where they offer you a promotion and you take 1 step forward and 3 backwards. Financially, this move was the dumbest thing I have ever done, and that was 20 years ago!