The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Time for injured player

What is the time alloted for a coach to replace an injured player once the player has made it to the bench?

In other words, the coach is mad as hell because no foul was called when two players from opposite teams dive for a loose ball. Player A hits chin on floor, both players secure ball. Jump ball!

So once the trainer(s) and coach get the player to the bench, he just stands and looks and comments about the no-call foul! Is this treated like a DQ player and you ask the clock for 20 seconds?
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 11:28am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

20 seconds, just like a player fouled out.

Tell the timekeeper to start a 20 second clock, with a warning buzzer at 5 seconds.

2-12-5 :

ART. 5 . . . Sound a warning signal 15 seconds before the expiration of the 20 seconds (maximum) permitted for replacing a disqualified or injured player, or for a player directed to leave the game.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Juggler!

Now, where do you find the rules on-line?
I have things pop in my head that I want to look up, but never have the book in front of me.... when at work!
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 11:42am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallender View Post
What is the time alloted for a coach to replace an injured player once the player has made it to the bench?

In other words, the coach is mad as hell because no foul was called when two players from opposite teams dive for a loose ball. Player A hits chin on floor, both players secure ball. Jump ball!

So once the trainer(s) and coach get the player to the bench, he just stands and looks and comments about the no-call foul! Is this treated like a DQ player and you ask the clock for 20 seconds?
Once the coach stops attending to the player and turns his attention to me, I'm starting the clock and walking away. Once we get to 20 seconds, there'd better be a sub available for me.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallender View Post
Thanks Juggler!

Now, where do you find the rules on-line?
I have things pop in my head that I want to look up, but never have the book in front of me.... when at work!
If you're a member, through NFHS website.

-Josh
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 12:07pm
In Memoriam

I'm going along with RichMSN, although due to possible emotions involved with regard to the seriousness of the injury, I probably won't start time until I ask the coach if he's ready to proceed.
Zebra44 and I worked a game, a few weeks ago, with three blood stoppages. One stoppage took about 20 minutes to clean up cuz th player [a tooth thing] went to the bench but kept bleeding. Then the floor and bench area had to be cleaned....
Lucky for us, the player was elbowed by a teammate.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 12:36pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
I'm going along with RichMSN, although due to possible emotions involved with regard to the seriousness of the injury, I probably won't start time until I ask the coach if he's ready to proceed.
Zebra44 and I worked a game, a few weeks ago, with three blood stoppages. One stoppage took about 20 minutes to clean up cuz th player [a tooth thing] went to the bench but kept bleeding. Then the floor and bench area had to be cleaned....
I don't disagree with this -- matter of fact, it happened last night and the coach informed me that the sub was already in before I could start the clock.

But if he's turning from concerned coach to howler monkey, I'm starting the clock and making it less easy for him to earn himself a seat.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
I am sure the bleeding player thought the same thing
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 04:41pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I am sure the bleeding player thought the same thing
The bleeding player was probably thinking unlucky for his #*$@ing teammate who's gonna get it in practice the next day!