The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Administrative "T"

I called one the other night. First one ever. 9 years.....

Here's the situation. less than 1 minute before the start of the game home coach comes to me ( I am the R on a 3 man crew ) and says " there is an error in the book. There is no number 45 on their team but there is a 53 who is not listed but on the bench. I looked and sure enough home coach was right.

#53 usually wears number 45 when she plays up on varsity. But she didn't bring her uniform thinking she wasn't going to play up. They gave her #53 in the locker room. Book keeper didn't know it.

So I go to my partner who had 16 years experience and asked, " Do I have to penalize this now?" He said, "yes, when it is discovered" I thought the same thing.

But I also thought we might not penalize it until she entered the game....we did it then and Home team got 2 FT and the ball at mid court. They got 1 point out of the deal and won the game by 20 points in the end.

What do you think? When should the "T" have been called? BTW, the player never entered the game.

Last edited by Terrapins Fan; Thu Feb 26, 2009 at 09:21pm.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 09:19pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
But I also thought we might not penalize it until she entered the game....we did it then

BTW, the player never entered the game.
Aren't these two statements contradictory?
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

I mean, we did it to begin the game.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

T is administered when player with wrong number enters the game. This did not happen. No T.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 09:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The T is administered when the book is changed. The book does not need to be changed if the player never enters the game.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The T is administered when the book is changed. The book does not need to be changed if the player never enters the game.
Thanks for the put-back, Snaq.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Doesn't this strike anyone as being a little bit of a "Neener, neener" by the coach? I think if a coach came to me about this, I'd say thank you, wait till he walked away, and then talk to the book person about it. I know the book person is from the home school, but techinically they are supposed to be neutral, whereas the coach definitely ISN'T! I wouldn't want him involved.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 10:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Do not stamp.

3) Penalized when they occur, after ten minute time limit. The infraction occurs when the scorer is advised to add to or change the scorebook. The foul must be charged when it occurs and enforced when the ball next becomes live. Once the ball has become live, it is too late to penalize. A maximum of one technical foul per team regardless of the number of infractions for 2a, 3a, 3b, 3c, 4a:
a) A team shall not add a name to the team member list after the ten minute time limit. Team technical foul. When such a player legally enters the court, the player’s name, and number, must be entered into the scorebook.
b) A team shall not require the scorer to change a team member, or player, number in the scorebook (with exception), after the ten minute time limit. Team technical foul. If there is no request for change, or if a team member does not become a player, thus avoiding the change, there is no penalty.
c) A team shall not require a player to change to a number in the scorebook after the ten minute time limit. Team technical foul. A maximum of one team technical foul is charged regardless of the number of players, and substitutes, not wearing the number indicated in the scorebook. Each player must wear the number indicated in the scorebook, or change the scorebook number to that which the player is wearing. Any additional substitutes who become players and require the changing of the number indicated for them in the scorebook will not result in a penalty as the one maximum technical has already been charged to the team for this administrative infraction. If there is no request for change, or if the team member does not become a player, thus avoiding the change, there is no penalty.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

No T until the player enters.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 07:29am
Esteemed Forum Member

Use other side for additional listings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK View Post
No T until the player enters.
Be careful with the wording of your answer. The coach could elect to take the technical foul right away, and have the team member's name added, or corrected, in the scorebook, before the team member legally becomes a player, i.e., before the start of the game. Remember, technically, the infraction is for changing the scorebook, that's when the technical foul actually occurs.

"The infraction occurs when the scorer is advised to add to or change the scorebook."
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 09:57am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Leave this up to the coach. It's up to him which players will play.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 10:15am
MABO Member

I luv FIBA!

Thanks Coach, Scorekeeper change 45 to 53 and lets play ball.
No Administrative T's here.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 10:32am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
Thanks Coach, Scorekeeper change 45 to 53 and lets play ball.
No Administrative T's here.
I agree.