The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Shriek-Fest!

Good Lord and a quarter!

Girls 8th grade county championship game tonight. I am R and my partner is a fellow 2nd year cadet. Big gym, filled to rafters. We count players pregame- 15 for H, 13 for V. I think to myself "Self, lots of players here, lots of fouls to give"...

We had to call close to 60. I didn't hang around to find out. Total hack-fest along with incredibly high decibel level, which I attribute to well attended girls games (not to put them down, just an observation-subs on both benches tend to cheer more than boys similarly situated, that's all). Overall a great experience in handling crowds, and a very highly charged atmosphere. Coaches were well behaved for the most part. 2 T's on V players for unsportsmanlike behavior. Answered 2 questions from spectators that were so close to polite I had to oblige- no, they didn't know the rule....

It's 11:30 EST and my ears are still ringing. Game was far from perfect, but really a great experience overall. Had a little of everything- big crowd, big game and LOTS of fouls. I don't want to hear my whistle for about a week, but have a boys JV tomorrow- hopefully as competitive, but just a wee bit quieter...

Sshhhhhhhhh!

Z
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 06:25am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Sounds like my game last night......

Partner and I get done doing 8B - good game, close, well played and are hoping for something similar with the follow-on 7B game. Our hopes and aspirations died when I called a foul 8 seconds into the game......and it went down hill from there.

We called ten fouls the first 2:30 of the first quarter! Total hack-fest. But Zeedonk, unlike you H had only nine players while V had 15. As I reported foul number 11, I said to my partner, "At this rate, H is gonna run out of players."

Well, we're obviously into the bonus by the end of the 1st qtr, and as I TWEET yet another foul, one of the moms yells from the stands, "Stop blowing your whistle!" Cracked me and much of the crowd up and actually seemed to settle the game down a bit.

Only one H player eventually fouled out (their best guard - on the first play of the 3rd Qtr). Final score 57-13!
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeedonk View Post
incredibly high decibel level, which I attribute to well attended girls games (not to put them down, just an observation-subs on both benches tend to cheer more than boys similarly situated, that's all).
There are individual exceptions, but as a rule girls' pitch level does tend to be higher by about a factor of 10. You're right that it's just a fact.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 12:32pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
There are individual exceptions, but as a rule girls' pitch level does tend to be higher by about a factor of 10. You're right that it's just a fact.
Yes Juulie, you are correct. I teach a tidbit about noises and their audiological effects, and on a chart of noises, you'll see a woman's yell is at a higher pitch than a man's yell. That explains why I don't have a problem with girls' games, because my hearing loss sometimes blocks out higher pitches. Ahhhh...the bliss.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for confirming my suspicions... The boys game was before my game last night and there was no comparison in volume. I had to double whistle several times during the game, which I have not had to to but once or twice before. It was still fun, though. I don't mind loud and raucous.
Z