The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

My Yearly Trek

Waiting on our regional tournaments to start this week, so no game last night. Made my yearly trek down to the elementary school to watch some friends' kids play.
It humbles me to know that's what I was calling 15 years ago.

I've always wanted to go down before the game and ask the young officials why they are there.
1) A little extra cash?
2) Trying to pick up chicks?
3) Beats video games and homework?
4) Working off community service for a DUI?

But if any of them said they'd like to get into officiating, I'd like to work with them. A few mechanics. Maybe a rule or two. Just never had the heart to ask.
True to form, it was wild. The local school has decided to quit keeping score (don't get me started), but there was a crazy dad there who would yell the score each time one of the teams made a basket! Same guy yelled "three seconds" all night.
Fun stuff!
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 02:23pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalfan View Post
But if any of them said they'd like to get into officiating, I'd like to work with them.
What you really should do if any of them tell you this is suggest they see a psychiatrist.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 07:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
What you really should do if any of them tell you this is suggest they see a psychiatrist.
Why don't you recommend your's?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Because Mark doesn't have a shrink; he has a guy in an alley with a van full of "exotic narcotics."
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Not recommended for anyone, anywhere, anytime.... but

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalfan View Post
True to form, it was wild. The local school has decided to quit keeping score (don't get me started), but there was a crazy dad there who would yell the score each time one of the teams made a basket! Same guy yelled "three seconds" all night.
Fun stuff!
The OP reminds me of an incident a few yrs back....

Rare Occasion:
I was called by the director of our local YMCA to help officiate a 5th Grade league game that evening. Since I am good acquaintances with the director and had the date open, I accepted.

Unfortunately, I had "The Dad" who wouldn't shut-up. Whenever he couldn't find anything else to gripe about, he relied on "three seconds." Sadly, it appeared none of the other parents from his team or the opponents were willing to confront him, so I took a calculated risk. (It had been one of those days where my patience had already been tested enough.) Additionally, at the time, I was employed as a correctional officer, so I can become gruff, if necessary.

Unorthodox Tactic
At an opportune time, I stepped to the sideline near the boisterous dad and "innocently" asked him to come out and talk to me. I waited until he made it to the court and then I asked (in a low-key, calm voice) if he would stand at his team's offensive end and verbally count 3 seconds on EVERY "Blue" player (his team) who was in the lane. I reminded him that there is no team control on a shot attempt. I then added, if he refused to count, I would get a parent from the other team to do it. He began backing away, probably thinking I was psycho. So, I concluded with a final offer, leave the gym now or you will leave if I hear any other negative comments from you.

The Good News:

I didn't hear from him the remainder of the evening.
Oh ...
you want to know....
he left the gym.

The Better News:

Shortly after that incident, the YMCA director did get a contact from the "The Dad." Now, "The Dad" sees things from a different perspective, he is an official and pretty darn good one at that.

There are more details to this story, but I condensed it to "Reader's Digest" length.

My point:
Sometimes seasoned (read grizzled vets) officials can/should give back to the game by working much lower level games and confronting some of these fanatical parents.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 10:18pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by williebfree View Post
Sometimes seasoned (read grizzled vets) officials can/should give back to the game by working much lower level games and confronting some of these fanatical parents.
Great story.

While not quite a "grizzled vet" I am working my one, and only, 7/8 yr old local Rec League game next weekend - the "All-Star" game. One-man reffing. Should be quite fun. Hope I don't run into any "fanatical parents." If I do, I'll keep your story in mind!
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 10:32pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Well, obviously THAT one isn't any good.