The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Question Midwest Referee School

Would you recomend this camp for a newer official. This is my 3rd year and really just my second working on a regular and recuring basis. I have done mainly jr. high and High School JV. One day I do want to move up to D1, but obviously that is not for a long while.

Thanks!!
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 11:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have never attended this clinic but I know a lot about it. This clinic is primarily geared towards Women's basketball and most of the clinicians are high level women's officials. Nothing wrong with that, but if you want to work Men's basketball that could be a problem. I understand it is a great camp otherwise and something you should consider if you are newer and wanting to work Women's basketball.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Is there any camps geared toward hgih school officials in the state?
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 11:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHSAref View Post
Is there any camps geared toward hgih school officials in the state?
There are dozens and even this camp is an IHSA licensed camp. I guess you need to send me a PM and I can direct you to many camps based on where you live.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jalons
Quote:
Would you recomend this camp for a newer official. This is my 3rd year and really just my second working on a regular and recuring basis. I have done mainly jr. high and High School JV. One day I do want to move up to D1, but obviously that is not for a long while.

Thanks!!
I have gone to this camp the past two years. Last summer there were a lot of officials in the same situation you are in, so the camp was geared towards "the basics." As JRutledge mentioned, the person running the clinic assigns women's college basketball, so the camp is geared towards that as he hires people from his camp. However, the clinicians are outstanding and you will be a better official after attending. As I have quickly discovered, you are better off attending one camp at $250 than five camps at $50 per.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalons View Post
I have gone to this camp the past two years. Last summer there were a lot of officials in the same situation you are in, so the camp was geared towards "the basics." As JRutledge mentioned, the person running the clinic assigns women's college basketball, so the camp is geared towards that as he hires people from his camp. However, the clinicians are outstanding and you will be a better official after attending. As I have quickly discovered, you are better off attending one camp at $250 than five camps at $50 per.
And now the dorms are air-conditioned!!
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

http://www.midwestrefereeschool.com/
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 12:02pm
Eschew obfuscation.

I had everything set up for me to go to this camp this year, but I got a call to upmire a dozen baseball games in my hometown that same weekend. I'll go from spending $300 to making more than $300 in a weekend. As a recent college grad with no job and needs to buy a new car, I decided to skip this camp this year and make some money instead. It kind of sucks because I would really like to get into women's college ball, but I had to chose the money this year. Maybe next year for me...
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 12:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalons View Post
However, the clinicians are outstanding and you will be a better official after attending. As I have quickly discovered, you are better off attending one camp at $250 than five camps at $50 per.
I am going to disagree with you in principle. I think it is always better to go to many camps and hear many opinions. If you really want to get better, you need to have several people see the same things or it might be to you benefit. Going to only one camp is going to limit your ability to grow and to get all kinds of advice. The problem with going to one camp you might not get as many points of view. I think it is to anyone's benefit to go multiple camps regardless of how much money it costs if you can afford it or if you have the time to attend.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks!!
I attended this camp a few years ago and had a great experience. I didn't go there looking for college games, just to get feedback and improve. The Clinicians were terrific, the food great, and dorms air conditioned. All campers I talked to raved about it. Price was more than fair as it included room and board.

The only slight negative for me, and it was my ignorance, was the use of college mechanics, which took away from my normal 'game' .

Again, all the clinicians were very friendly and helpful.