The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 15, 2002, 04:44pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
I have signed up for Al Raya's Midwest Referee School. Has anyone attended this camp and can they give me any opinions on it's benefits?
Old Fri Feb 15, 2002, 05:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb It is a Women's basketball camp.

Quote:
Originally posted by w_sohl
I have signed up for Al Raya's Midwest Referee School. Has anyone attended this camp and can they give me any opinions on it's benefits?
Al's Teaching is more geared to Women's Basketball. Al is a Women's College Basketball Assignor. Al is a very nice guy and has good people on his staff, but just be aware that you are going to get games or to learn one side of the game. If you are going to use the camp to launch yourself in the Men's game or even the HS game, this might not be the camp for you. But then again, to each his own.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

I have attended Al Raya"s camp for the last two years. It is geared towards the womans's side of collegiate basketball,NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!! Everything that is taught by the staff is women's three person mechanics. If that is what you are looking for, I believe it is a great camp to attend. Excellent staff,good competition to officiate, and reasonable priced. Because of the exposure that I received st the camp, I have been hired into 3 D-III conferences in Wisconsin and Illinois. including the premier D-III conference in the country, the WIAC in Wisconsin. Depending on what you are looking for, I think this is an outstanding camp to attend!!! Good luck!!!
Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 03:20pm
I drank what?

My ultimate goal is to do NBA ball, minimum I would like to do D1 Mens. I do not want to get pigeon holed into being a women's official. I want to be a men's official that does women's games. Everyone tells me though, that if I start doing women's games that it will be harder for me to crack into the men's games. Is this true?
Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Everyone tells me though, that if I start doing women's games that it will be harder for me to crack into the men's games. Is this true?
Depends on where you are. In my home area (CT), there are definately boys' officials and girls' officials.
Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 03:31pm
I drank what?

I'm in Illinois right now. Would love to do Big Ten
Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 06:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb It might not be for you.

Quote:
I'm in Illinois right now. Would love to do Big Ten

Al's camp is not for you then. Al is a nice guy, but everything they teach is not going to get you to the D1 level in Men's. As a matter of fact it will hurt you. Men's and Women's mechanics are so different and the rules are different, going to this camp is not for you if you want to really advance in Men's basketball. Not to say you cannot learn some things, but it will not be the same as a D1 Men's or collegiate.

You might be better off going to Harry Bohn's and Tommy O'Neil's camp. Harry Bohn is an college assignor for some D3 Men's conferences. And Tommy O'Neil is a D1 official. I think O'Neil did the Missouri/Texas game today. And I am aware of a couple other camps that are geared to college ball in Illinois, but I do not know when they are right now.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

You must make a choice at the collegiate level, you are not allowed to work bith men's and women's ball one or the other!!!!
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Mikeref:

I don't know about the rest of the country, but in my little corner of the D-III world (Minnesota), we have several officials who work both men's and women's games in the MIAC.

I work as an SID at an MIAC school and work the scorer's table for every home men's and women's game we have.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2002, 02:06pm
I drank what?

Second Thoughts...

Thanks for all of the input. I am now seeking other camps that might suit my needs better as I am having second thoughts about attending Al's camp. I have met Al and he is a very nice man, but I want to be a men's official that does women's games, not a women's official.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2002, 03:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Red face How dare you!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Thanks for all of the input. I am now seeking other camps that might suit my needs better as I am having second thoughts about attending Al's camp. I have met Al and he is a very nice man, but I want to be a men's official that does women's games, not a women's official.
I am totally disappointed in you. How in the world would you dare to have a preference. You are suppose to like all levels. You are suppose to aspire to do both, and if you are chosen to do Men's basketball, you will be. It is greatly unethical for you to like one side or the other. Your arrogance is really disappointing to me. How dare you not like Women's basketball. You should be ashamed of yourself.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2002, 03:53pm
I drank what?

Kidding Right?

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I am totally disappointed in you. How in the world would you dare to have a preference. You are suppose to like all levels. You are suppose to aspire to do both, and if you are chosen to do Men's basketball, you will be. It is greatly unethical for you to like one side or the other. Your arrogance is really disappointing to me. How dare you not like Women's basketball. You should be ashamed of yourself.

You are kidding right?
Old Tue Feb 19, 2002, 04:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Kidding Right?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by w_sohl
Quote:

You are kidding right?
Of course I am. Sarcasm is a beautiful thing.

Peace