The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

27 and 3/4 games ...

I had gone the equivilent of 111 quarters without a T up until last night.
youth ball 6th grade.
Just subbing for someone to get some running if before the weekend and sure enough the first game I get a jumper,
He jumps up out of seat and tell syou you missed this call and you missed that call and that was traveling, etc. etc. ...
So I have just ignored him for the first half since he seems harmless and he really hasn't said squat to me.
mid way third quarter my partner is trying to issue for a free throw and he is talking to a player below the free throw line, and I'm calling him up to try to avoid putting the ball in play with a violation, he responds to me with attitude
"what's the problem he is out side the three point line!"
then there was another issue he didn't like right before the end of the quarter he wanted to tell me about. No question - no response.
leash gets shorter.
about 2 minutes into the 4th quarter his point guard steals a cross court pass and heads fot the basket. defender gets there at the same time and their jerseys brush. basket good no call. he jumps up off the bench and runs it's length screaming for a foul,
I obliged, he wanted to continue to discuss it. I told him their jerseys brush that contact is incidental let go. we move on.
We went to overtime and other that that sterling incident was a fairly good game for 6th grade boys.

I just hate that I blew that string.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
You didn't. He did.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

I wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post
You didn't. He did.
How many quarters had the coach displayed this type of behavior w/o getting a "T"?

At 6th grade level, far too many officials do not have the experience to judiciously employ the "T" to refocus vociferous, challenging coaches.

Last edited by williebfree; Fri Feb 20, 2009 at 12:36pm.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 12:24pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I had gone the equivilent of 111 quarters without a T up until last night.
youth ball 6th grade.
Just subbing for someone to get some running if before the weekend and sure enough the first game I get a jumper,
He jumps up out of seat and tell syou you missed this call and you missed that call and that was traveling, etc. etc. ...
So I have just ignored him for the first half since he seems harmless and he really hasn't said squat to me.
mid way third quarter my partner is trying to issue for a free throw and he is talking to a player below the free throw line, and I'm calling him up to try to avoid putting the ball in play with a violation, he responds to me with attitude
"what's the problem he is out side the three point line!"
then there was another issue he didn't like right before the end of the quarter he wanted to tell me about. No question - no response.
leash gets shorter.
about 2 minutes into the 4th quarter his point guard steals a cross court pass and heads fot the basket. defender gets there at the same time and their jerseys brush. basket good no call. he jumps up off the bench and runs it's length screaming for a foul,
I obliged, he wanted to continue to discuss it. I told him their jerseys brush that contact is incidental let go. we move on.
We went to overtime and other that that sterling incident was a fairly good game for 6th grade boys.

You would've done yourself and that coach a favor had you (figuratively) stepped on his throat in the first quarter.

First time he jumped up and argued something, I would've told him I don't put up with that and the next time I would've whacked him. Then he'd stay down, if not quiet.

I gotta say, I haven't worked a 6th grade game in years, but I can't imagine my chain would be longer than I'd give a varsity coach (actually, I know it wouldn't be) and I wouldn't tolerate this from a varsity coach.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
You would've done yourself and that coach a favor had you (figuratively) stepped on his throat in the first quarter.

First time he jumped up and argued something, I would've told him I don't put up with that and the next time I would've whacked him. Then he'd stay down, if not quiet.

I gotta say, I haven't worked a 6th grade game in years, but I can't imagine my chain would be longer than I'd give a varsity coach (actually, I know it wouldn't be) and I wouldn't tolerate this from a varsity coach.
I was dealing with a partner as it turns out with no spine, and all of the issues the coach had up until the third quarter were directed toward my partner. We will not address his competency other than to say ... he made sure he collected his fee's.

Yes it has been awhile since I stepped out of Fed and NCAA, need to treat them no differently down there.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 01:02pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I was dealing with a partner as it turns out with no spine, and all of the issues the coach had up until the third quarter were directed toward my partner. We will not address his competency other than to say ... he made sure he collected his fee's.

Yes it has been awhile since I stepped out of Fed and NCAA, need to treat them no differently down there.
Been there, done that. But that's when you step up and handle it for your partner if he's clearly over his head -- if the coach gives the old "I'm not talking to you" then you tell him that he talks to one, he's talking to both of you.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Been there, done that. But that's when you step up and handle it for your partner if he's clearly over his head -- if the coach gives the old "I'm not talking to you" then you tell him that he talks to one, he's talking to both of you.
At unh IM ball we even train to call T's opposite from the official that was being sworn at or gestured toward etc. We feel like it's a good way to relieve tension from a single official instead of giving a player or coach more reason to hate on a single ref.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 03:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNH IM Ref View Post
At unh IM ball we even train to call T's opposite from the official that was being sworn at or gestured toward etc. We feel like it's a good way to relieve tension from a single official instead of giving a player or coach more reason to hate on a single ref.
Might work for IM ball in college, but at higher levels, you need to be able to handle your own stuff. If a coach is talking to me and getting close to the line, let me make up my mind on whether to T him. Don't undermine me by coming in to my defense.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 04:43pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Might work for IM ball in college, but at higher levels, you need to be able to handle your own stuff. If a coach is talking to me and getting close to the line, let me make up my mind on whether to T him. Don't undermine me by coming in to my defense.
That fine, but there are still situations where officials work with people clearly in over their heads. This doesn't give the coach carte blanche to walk all over the crew provided they pick the right guy.