The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 03:25pm
Livin' The Dream

Here's One For You....

Last night's Girls district game, 3 mins or so left in the game. home team up by 10, starts dwindling to 5 or so...visitors bringing the ball up, just crossing half court....a small ball come rolling onto the floor, (cheerleaders had thrown them out during a time out) I see it, blow my whistle, stop play. No big deal, right? I guess not. My partner who was closest to the bench was getting an earful from the visiting coaches about their momentum being stopped and something should be done!!
The game continues...and during the next time out, the cheerleaders grab more balls and start throwing them out AGAIN!!! Uff da. So the asst coach starts approaching me during the timeout with his hands up and I politely told him that he would have to take it up with the A.D. who was standing at the end of the court.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 03:42pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw1ns View Post
Last night's Girls district game, 3 mins or so left in the game. home team up by 10, starts dwindling to 5 or so...visitors bringing the ball up, just crossing half court....a small ball come rolling onto the floor, (cheerleaders had thrown them out during a time out) I see it, blow my whistle, stop play. No big deal, right? I guess not. My partner who was closest to the bench was getting an earful from the visiting coaches about their momentum being stopped and something should be done!!
The game continues...and during the next time out, the cheerleaders grab more balls and start throwing them out AGAIN!!! Uff da. So the asst coach starts approaching me during the timeout with his hands up and I politely told him that he would have to take it up with the A.D. who was standing at the end of the court.
I think that I would have taken it up with Game Management rather than waste the coaches time with my problem.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

That's something I would address with the AD/site admin. Coaches shouldn't have to do that.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 04:00pm
Courageous When Prudent

I had this exact situation in my first HS game this season. I tried to be expeditious and, without stopping the game, I (trail in 3-man) grabbed the ball and threw it behind my back with a lot of force towards the stands. Unfortunately my aim was off and the ball went up at about an 80 degree angle and hit the thick piping above the bleachers and caroomed directly back on to the court.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 04:04pm
Never Stop Learning

Had this happen this past weekend with a wiffle ball. Picked it up, it was small so I put it in my pocket and no one knew it had happened.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_ref View Post
That's something I would address with the AD/site admin. Coaches shouldn't have to do that.
I wouldn't say a word to anyone about it. As long as the items remain in the stands and don't come onto the court, the official shouldn't get involved.

Someone throwing something onto the court gets my attention. If the act was intentional, then that spectator needs to be removed. A spectator interfering with the game is unacceptable. If it was a little kid playing with the object and it ended up out there, then that isn't a big deal unless it happens more than once.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 04:25pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I had this exact situation in my first HS game this season. I tried to be expeditious and, without stopping the game, I (trail in 3-man) grabbed the ball and threw it behind my back with a lot of force towards the stands. Unfortunately my aim was off and the ball went up at about an 80 degree angle and hit the thick piping above the bleachers and caroomed directly back on to the court.
It's a good thing you didn't hit that 90 year old grandma up there. It would have knocked her cold!
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

I cringe anytime I see those cheerleaders throwing those little basketballs into the crowd. It's just a matter of time until one of them is on the floor.

Interesting thing I saw once when my boys were playing. We were visitors, and home cheerleaders threw the balls out during a TO.
Several times that night, play was stopped to retrieve a ball off the court. I saw the R go to the administrator, who went to the table and announced that the home team would be issued a technical foul if another basketball came on the floor.
R put the ball in play, and a little basketball immediately came flying out of the student section. Needless to say, the home coach went nuts when the R issued a technical.
The coach left the bench, grabbed a small trash can, and went up into the bleachers collecting mini-basketballs. The guy was on a mission. He was taking them away from pre-schoolers, students, & adults and throwing them in the trash!

I still like to tell the story on that coach when I see him!
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 05:06pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalfan View Post
The coach left the bench, grabbed a small trash can, and went up into the bleachers collecting mini-basketballs. The guy was on a mission. He was taking them away from pre-schoolers, students, & adults and throwing them in the trash!
He even took the balls from the visiting fans, too?
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 05:12pm
Livin' The Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Maeder View Post
Had this happen this past weekend with a wiffle ball. Picked it up, it was small so I put it in my pocket and no one knew it had happened.
If I could have plucked it before it got too far I would have...it came in behind the C and I was baseline cross court...it was a younger kid who came bounding down the bleachers after it.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 05:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
He even took the balls from the visiting fans, too?
Wow, that took, well, never mind.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Foreign objects on the floor reminds me of a game I had last week. I'm trail and a player is dribbling towards me about 15' away. Something right in front of the dribbled ball catches my eye and it is a quarter rolling right at me. The quarter is rolling at the same speed this guy is dribbling and it looks like it will roll out of bounds on my side. No such luck. The coin starts to curve towards the key so I blow my whistle. Right after I blow my whistle (of course) this same dribbler kicks the money on purpose over under the coach's bench. Coach whose team had the ball rears up and asks me, "hey, what's the deal?" I say, "money" He looks at me like I was nuts, (couldn't resist the chance to have some fun) I then told him to look under his bench and that I had stopped play because a quarter was loose on the floor. Wonder which player lost it?!?!
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 10:26pm
Eschew obfuscation.

I didn't have to stop play for this as I found the foreign object during a free throw. I was getting the players lined up for the first of two free throws, and I noticed a bobby pin sitting in the lane. With this being a boys game, I picked up the bobby pin and asked the shooter if he dropped it. He gave me one of the most confused looks, and I found it humorous. He probably had the shortest hair out on the court too.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Humor in uniform...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeschmit View Post
... He probably had the shortest hair out on the court too.
I, too, have some humor with haircuts at the sub-varisty levels... I "sport" a tight crew cut (circa 1950's), so when I see a kid with a similar hair "style" I ask with a smile, "You must have the same barber." Usually the kids get an ear-to-ear grin. Some even respond with a serious, "Yes, he is on the corner of...." One time the kid with a puzzled look asked, "My mom cuts your hair too?"
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Maeder View Post
A friend of mine once told me that I might have better luck with the ladies if I put a potato in my pants. Didn't change my luck. It was only later that he told me that it was supposed to go in the front, not in the back.