The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What are my options? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51701-what-my-options.html)

cardinalfan Tue Feb 17, 2009 09:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadking (Post 580124)
"Live ball" Offensive player swings elbows and makes contact with defender.
These are all the situational fouls that I could think of, Am I missing any? Thanks

*Player cotrol foul: defensive teams ball, nearest spot.

*Intentional foul: defensive player that was fouled shoots two, defense gets ball POI

*Flagrent: ejection, defense shoots two with player of there choice, defense gets ball back at half court.

Hey, even some college officials have been struggling with this situation lately.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Feb 17, 2009 09:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadking (Post 580124)
"Live ball" Offensive player swings elbows and makes contact with defender.
These are all the situational fouls that I could think of, Am I missing any? Thanks

*Player cotrol foul: defensive teams ball, nearest spot.

*Intentional foul: defensive player that was fouled shoots two, defense gets ball POI

*Flagrent: ejection, defense shoots two with player of there choice, defense gets ball back at half court.

RoadKing:

Assuming that the B1 (defensive player) has a legal postion of the court, there are three possible fouls that can be commited by A1 (offensive player) and all three fouls are personal fouls because the contact occured while the ball was live, therefore your penalities for the Intentional and Flagrant Fouls are not correct.

1) Common Foul: This is a player control foul by A1. Team B is awarded a designated spot throw-in nearest the location of the foul.

2) Intentional Foul: B1 is awarded two free-throws with no players occupying the lane spaces and then Team B is awarded a designated spot throw-in nearest the location of the foul.

3) Flagrant Foul: A1 is disqualified for the remainder of the game. B1 is awarded two free-throws with no players occupying the lane spaces and then Team B is awarded a designated spot throw-in nearest the location of the foul.

MTD, Sr.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Feb 17, 2009 09:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 580305)
That and the fact that I was just about finished testing a new (to me) drink recipe.

Man, Bob, the hair-of-the-dog this early in the week. You must be getting old like me, :D.

MTD, Sr.

roadking Tue Feb 17, 2009 03:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 580317)
RoadKing:

Assuming that the B1 (defensive player) has a legal postion of the court, there are three possible fouls that can be commited by A1 (offensive player) and all three fouls are personal fouls because the contact occured while the ball was live, therefore your penalities for the Intentional and Flagrant Fouls are not correct.

1) Common Foul: This is a player control foul by A1. Team B is awarded a designated spot throw-in nearest the location of the foul.

2) Intentional Foul: B1 is awarded two free-throws with no players occupying the lane spaces and then Team B is awarded a designated spot throw-in nearest the location of the foul.

3) Flagrant Foul: A1 is disqualified for the remainder of the game. B1 is awarded two free-throws with no players occupying the lane spaces and then Team B is awarded a designated spot throw-in nearest the location of the foul.

MTD, Sr.

Mark,
would you please give me the correct verbage of the Rule, I would assume during a live ball I need to add "personal foul" to my definitions of Flagrant and Intentional and also allow the defesive player that was fouled in both cases, shoot the free throw. thanks

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Feb 17, 2009 06:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadking (Post 580468)
Mark,
would you please give me the correct verbage of the Rule, I would assume during a live ball I need to add "personal foul" to my definitions of Flagrant and Intentional and also allow the defesive player that was fouled in both cases, shoot the free throw. thanks

RoadKing:

It is not a matter of correct verbage, but all contact fouls while the ball is live are personal fouls, not technical fouls. There is an exception to the live ball requirement for a contact foul to be a personal foul and that has to do with a foul committed against an airborne shooter and a foul by an airborne shooter; these fouls are personal fouls also.

MTD, Sr.