The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 01:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Crossing State Lines To Sicken Mark Padgett ...

Warning to Mark Padgett: Do NOT read this post. It will make you sick.

I was watching two of my colleagues working a boys varsity prep school game yesterday, involving two players who are nominees for the MacDonald's All American team. Home team is a Connecticut prep school. Visiting team is prep school from Massachusetts.

Prep schools around these parts use an odd combination of rules, i.e. home team wears dark jerseys, and visitors wear white jerseys. Connecticut prep schools basically use NFHS rules with some NCAA influences, i.e. two halves (not four quarters), and shot clock. I believe that Massachusetts prep schools use a rule set that is leans a lot more toward NCAA rules (check with Scrapper1, or ChuckElias for details).

At one point in the first half of game, before either team was in the bonus, a player on the Massachusetts team commits a player control foul after the ball had been released on a shot that goes in the basket. This being a game played in the State of Connecticut, using mostly NFHS rules, the officials do not count the basket for the player control foul. The Massachusetts coach politely questions the officials as to why they disallowed the basket, and gets his NFHS versus NCAA explanation. It's only two points, right, and it's still early in the game, right, so it's not a big deal, right? Wrong. The game is tied by the Massachusetts team at the second half buzzer. It is tied by a buzzer beater by the Connecticut team at the end of the first overtime. It is tied at the end of the second overtime by a three point buzzer beater, and goes to a third overtime, with the Connecticut team winning by only one point after a three point field goal buzzer beater by the Massachusetts team. Too bad the kid wasn't fouled in the act or I might still be there today. If we had been using NCAA rules, I would have been home at lot earlier, in time for "Cops".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 15, 2009 at 01:12pm.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 01:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 01:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You Were Warned, So Don't Blame Me As You Clean Up The Mess ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Mark Padgett: What part of "Do NOT read this post. It will make you sick", did you not understand?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 02:03pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Mark Padgett: What part of "Do NOT read this post. It will make you sick", did you not understand?
All your posts make me sick, but I read them anyway for laughs.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 02:43pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Mark,

To restore your faith in no-overtimes.... this happened yesterday in a game immediately preceeding the game before the game where I ejected a player and a fan.

Team B winning by 3, dying seconds of the game. A12 shoots a 3 and is FOULED. Ball enters basket. Does the T call the foul? You bet he does. Clock stops with 0.5 on the clock. The 3-pointer tied the game, and the FT was good to send A up by 1. B is granted a TO and under FIBA, gets the throw-in at the DL. They do a catch-and-shoot (released in time)... and... it's shot. Game over. Overtime averted.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 02:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Touché ...

Quote:
As I do yours. I bet I laugh more than you do. Nothing like a good sense of humor to get us through these tough times. In your case, I stress, it's a good sense of humor, not good sense.