The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Newbie works solo

Well I guess if it was going to happen Friday the 13th was the day. Arrive 45min. before tip at last night's assignment (BoysJV). Stretch, get dressed, clock in dressing room reads 15min. to tip, no P, time to go out on the floor.
Do all the pre-game stuff, keeping one eye on the door...horn sounds, the newbie (with a total of 3 BV's under his belt) is working it alone!
Here's where you guys come in. When it became evident that at about 4 min. to tip I'd be going solo, I started playing back in my mind posts I had read about working alone. Here's what I did:
1) Talked to my experienced table crew that I would need there help. Told them that when I came over to report a TO that I'd also be saying to them which team had the throw-in, where the spot was, and if they could run the endline, and if a TO was called during a freethrow the shooter's number, as a way of having a backup if I forgot.
2) Also asked for their help in giving me a heads-up signal if we were going to going to the bonus or double bonus on the next FT....and if we were in the bonus be my backup in keeping track of the shooter's number if we were going down to the other end of the court.
3) Got the two HC's together at the table just before tip to just quickly and simply tell them..."I'm working it alone, I'll be working both ends from the outside...3pt arc to 3pt arc, I might miss some stuff underneath but I'll hustle and do the best I can.
4) Before thrwoing it up in the circle I quickly mentioned to the players..."guys I'm alone, I may miss something let's just play the game and stay cool, I need your help in tracking down the ball when it goes out of play."
5) Last I reminded myself to SLOW DOWN...(which as you know is a major newbie problem).
Threw it up and off we went. Game went great, just completly put out of my mind the fact that I had no P, and not a whole lot of experience at this level. I just concentrated on working the game. Both teams went up and down the floor all night in a good flow...no chippy stuff, both HC's were great (not that they didn't question something when warranted), never got to the bonus in either half in a close game that the home team won by 6.
Horn sounded, grabbed the game ball. tucked my whistle in my shirt, thanked my table crew, and slipped off to the dressing room.
A good experience for building my confidence that I can do the job. It'll be something I can learn from and fall back on as I continue to learn the ropes as I climb the ladder rung by rung.
Vets..any tips/comments on anything else I should have done? Never know when it might happen again.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't tell the coaches anything (in #3); and I wouldn't restrict myself to working outside -- sometimes you need to get underneath.

Remember, it won't be the worst partner you'll ever have.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 11:53am
Esteemed Forum Member

One Person Mechanics (First Draft) ...

Connecticut (IAABO) interpreters have come up with some guidelines for one-person mechanics. This is the first year for the guidelines. Veteran officials, I'm sure, are already familiar with some of these, due to experience, and some common sense, so the guidelines are mostly aimed at rookie officials, so that they don't walk onto the court with that "deer in the headlights" look.

Also, our contract with the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference, our state's high school sports governing body, stipulates that the single official gets a 150% game fee. Also note that much credit should go to the sources listed at the bottom of the list.

ONE-PERSON OFFICIATING GUIDELINES
INTERIM DRAFT – OCTOBER 2008

It is quite possible that you will eventually officiate a game by yourself. This document offers officiating guidelines and one-person officiating mechanics you should follow.

Assignment Commissioner
- Contact the Commissioner either before or after the game.
- If you are assigned a game by the Assignment Commissioner, DO NOT accept an offer from a parent, coach, or a non-certified official. Work alone. Liability issues arise if you work with anyone other than a certified official.

Coaches and Administrators Conference
- Conduct a pre-game meeting with both coaches and the game administrator.
- Confirm that everyone is in agreement.
- Request coaches cooperation and express advance appreciation for them assisting you in keeping themselves and their teams under control.
- Stress and remind them of the importance of good sportsmanship and the example that they can and should set for their players.

Pregame Captains-Coaches Meeting
- Conduct at 2-minute mark
- Explain that you will appreciate and expect the cooperation from both teams.
- Explain that you expect the players to retrieve all loose balls once the whistle is sounded.

Floor Coverage
- Work the sideline, (choose either nearest or opposite) from the scorer’s table, moving from free throw line extended to free throw line extended. This will give you the same angle as both coaches to help reduce any disagreements, since you will be on the same side of the court as the coaches.
- As the ball goes toward the opposite sideline, you will have to move off the sideline toward the center of the floor.
- Avoid getting caught on the end line.
- You must work hard at getting open looks and move to obtain proper angles in order to be in the most advantageous position to referee all players. Have a high level of awareness on plays to the basket and shooters.

Start/Stop Clock
- You must stop/start clock at all opportunities using the proper mechanic. For example, after a missed free throw that will remain live, you must start the clock.

Out of Bounds
- Request players and coaches to assist you on out of bounds violations if necessary.
- If disagreement results, use the alternating possession arrow to make decision.
- After designating the throw-in spot, move to your position (see Floor Coverage) and either bounce or toss the ball to the player for the throw-in.

Time Outs
- Stand at the division line, ¾ away from the scorer’s table with ball on hip toward the teams’ basket which will have control of the ball. After 1st horn, move to area on the playing court where play will resume.

Three Point Shots
- Do not guess. Move to improve your angle, if you don’t know, it counts as 2-points the same as if there were two officials working the game.

Reporting Fouls
- Move towards an area visible to the scorers and keeping as many players within your field of vision.

Free Throw Coverage
- Assemble the players and administer every free throw from the Trail position.
- Ensure proper alignment of players on free throw lane lines, leaving the first spaces between the end line and neutral blocks vacant.
- Closely monitor disconcertion.

Presses
- Remain at the free throw line extended in the backcourt, (nearest or opposite) the scorer/timer table and move up the court with the players.

Maintain Control
- Maintain your composure.
- You may need to blow your whistle more so players do not take advantage of the situation.
- Take charge early to help keep the crazy stuff in check.
- Do not argue with the coaches. Keep your cool and remind them that you are working hard for them.
- Do the best you can. It is not your fault that this situation occurred.
- Remember that, if approached properly, people will almost always be willing to assist.
- Remember that you are the best official on the floor, albeit the only one.

Sources: Greater Sudbury Board of Basketball Officials (IAABO Board 106) and
Topeka Officials Association (Kansas State High School Activities Association)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 11:55am
#thereferee99

Partner contact?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
keeping one eye on the door...
I find this to be the most 'stressful' part, as its unresolved whether someone will arrive -- and that is distracting.

But, what about partner contact? Don't you communicate with partner 24-72 hours in advance? Have their cell on your phone... heads up calls made if running late and all that?
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 01:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
I find this to be the most 'stressful' part, as its unresolved whether someone will arrive -- and that is distracting.

But, what about partner contact? Don't you communicate with partner 24-72 hours in advance? Have their cell on your phone... heads up calls made if running late and all that?
Some areas don't tell you who your partner is going to be.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 01:24pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Game went great, just completly put out of my mind the fact that I had no P, and not a whole lot of experience at this level. I just concentrated on working the game. Both teams went up and down the floor all night in a good flow...no chippy stuff, both HC's were great (not that they didn't question something when warranted), never got to the bonus in either half in a close game that the home team won by 6.
Horn sounded, grabbed the game ball. tucked my whistle in my shirt, thanked my table crew, and slipped off to the dressing room.
A good experience for building my confidence that I can do the job. It'll be something I can learn from and fall back on as I continue to learn the ropes as I climb the ladder rung by rung.
Vets..any tips/comments on anything else I should have done? Never know when it might happen again.
Attaboy, KJUmp !
...But why grab the game ball ?
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 01:54pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Sources: Greater Sudbury Board of Basketball Officials (IAABO Board 106) and
Topeka Officials Association (Kansas State High School Activities Association)
Sudbury!?

The girls are out to Bingo and the boys are gettin' stinko,
And we think no more of Inco on a Sudbury Saturday night.
The glasses they will tinkle when our eyes begin to twinkle,
And we'll think no more of Inco on a Sudbury Saturday night.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
3) Got the two HC's together at the table just before tip to just quickly and simply tell them..."...I might miss some stuff underneath but I'll hustle and do the best I can.
You could say that before any game no matter the number of officials. Just work the game, don't worry about telling the participants you have more to watch and therefore probably won't be able to see everything.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys

Hey guys...thanks for the feedback and tips. Very much appreciated. Billy Mac...thanks for the guidelines, I'll print it out and add to rulebook/casebook/illustrated rules stack. I'll be right there alongside the pre-game check list you shared with us back at the begining of the season.
To quickly answer a few questions some of you asked...
1) Grabbed the gameball...the AD wants it returned to the table for the V game...doesn't want it getting mixed up with the other balls.
2) Contact with partner...at my level on my board (1st year) your on your own to secure HS games. The AD at this school gave me several games after I worked my first ever JV game there earlier in the year.
Thanks again..I'll take the advice&tips..learn from it and be better prepared the next time.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 08:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

KJUmp Would Love Working In Massachusetts ...

Quote:
Grabbed the gameball...the AD wants it returned to the table for the V game...doesn't want it getting mixed up with the other balls.
Forget the ball. Make eye contact with the scorekeeper to "approve the final score" and get out of Dodge. It's never the job of the official to secure the game ball. Never, ever. Period. End of discussion.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Point taken

Thanks Billy...
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Makes sense to me

Thanks Bill...point taken