The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Differences

One of my partners for tonight's JV game is a varsity official for both associations. In this area we have one association for girls' basketball and one for boys'. Some officiate for both. I officiate for the girls' association

He asked me to give him feedback on what I saw him do. We discussed it after the varsity game. He and another boys' official named a couple of differences in expectations in mechanics.

1. I noticed that at one point he was lead and starting the transition to the other side. Halfway over the shot went up from C's area and he returned before the shot finished. He said that his association wants this while ours tells us to complete the rotation.

2. This one may have changed and I didn't hear about it. I remember that we were told that if the ball is to be inbounded on Lead's opposite side it would be alright to bounce the ball across the key rather than force a rotation. The boys' officials told us that they were told to move their lazy butts over and to never bounce the ball across the key.

I'll be checking to see if I've missed anything new since new does come down from the state during the state tournaments. Just thought I would share.

Rita
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

I've heard both sides: complete the rotation/go back.

I think NCAA-W allows the ball to be bounced across the lane. Not so for NFHS and NCAA-M.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

I would give the same exact answer as bktballref.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

My Association promotes that we complete the rotation with a caveat that the new trail going the other way make sure the other officials picked up the rotation. If not, the new trail may rotate back while still in the backcourt.

I do as my Association does, but I prefer not to complete the rotation. Nothing looks more odd than a quick rotation on the other end causing all 3 officials to be on the same side. I've seen it twice this year. Fortunately not in any of my games.

We never bounce across the lane. (Unless we are being lazy and there are no observers in the gym)
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
I remember that we were told that if the ball is to be inbounded on Lead's opposite side it would be alright to bounce the ball across the key rather than force a rotation.
If you really mean LEAD'S opposite side (iow, the ball is staying in the FC), then L should move to the correct side.

If it's old-L / new-T (the ball is being inbounded in the BC), then I agree with BktBallRef - NCAAW can bounce the ball across.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 12:00pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I prefer NOT completing the rotation, but this is an individual/association preference, I think.

I'd rather step back out and not force the other two officials to complete a rotation while trying to referee rebounding action.