The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Reversed the 18 Decision

http://www.sacbee.com/preps/story/1621987.html

Here's the follow up on the 18 free throw fiasco.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Please Explain

How do they come to the number of FTs in that ruling?
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 11:04am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

What a joke is right.

If they do want to do something, the only fair thing to do is to erase everything that happened beginning with the FTs that were incorrectly awarded.

Instead, they should have re-played the game from the 12.3 seconds with the appropriate number of FTs.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

http://deadspin.com/5152216/high-sch...ay-for-the-win

There's a video to the whole situation
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 11:41am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
What a joke is right.

If they do want to do something, the only fair thing to do is to erase everything that happened beginning with the FTs that were incorrectly awarded.

Instead, they should have re-played the game from the 12.3 seconds with the appropriate number of FTs.
Have a team travel to replay 12.3 seconds? That wouldn't exactly be a practical solution.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 11:59am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Have a team travel to replay 12.3 seconds? That wouldn't exactly be a practical solution.
I don't know the location of the two schools. I figured they were two local high schools.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't know the location of the two schools. I figured they were two local high schools.
Roughly 5 miles from each other.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Someone help me figure out the number of FT's for each team.

I get 2 FT's for the Flagrant and I get 2 FT's for non-fighting participants (not corresponding) coming off the bench.

I am still missing 4 FT's by one team. What do you think warranted the other FT's.

Never mind, just found the other thread.

Last edited by Scratch85; Fri Feb 13, 2009 at 12:11pm.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 12:03pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
Roughly 5 miles from each other.
Even more of a joke to not play out the final 12.3 seconds.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 01:14pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Even more of a joke to not play out the final 12.3 seconds.
In today's economy, you would see a school board screaming if you had to travel 5 miles to play 12.3 seconds.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Did anyone else noticed the ref wearing black long sleeves in that video?

Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post

He's got lots of artwork on his arms. Some AD's may have had an issue with it. I've seen it. It's top shelf stuff.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 01:28pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post

Yeah...with his build and height (and lack of hair!), he looked like a WWE wrestler turned ref! Dressed to work a WWE match between his top enemies than to work a basketball game!
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzreffin View Post
How do they come to the number of FTs in that ruling?
Bella Vista was awarded six total free throws for:
2 Free Throws for the intentional foul,
2 Free Throws for the initial technical foul (the player continued to hold on to the rebounder after the whistle),
2 Free Throws for the second technical foul (the player twisted the player to the ground well after the whistle had been blowing).

Rio was to have been awarded two free throws for:
2 Free Throws for having FEWER bench personnel leave the bench area during the fight than Bella Vista had (1 coach vs. 7 players and 2 coaches). Per NFHS rules, no more than 2 FTs are awarded during such situations regardless of the number of bench personnel from each team -- 0 FTs if the number of bench personnel is the same.

Had the game been resumed, the score would have been about 61 - 53 (it was 56 - 51 at the start of the fouling, Bella Vista's players made 5 of six FTs and Rio's shooter made 17 of 18 FTs -- I think he made the first two) with 12.3 seconds remaining. Even though Rio likely would have gotten the ball at the Division Line since the bench technical would have been last in the sequence, the score difference was 8 points. I do not know the time out situation, but if Rio was out of time outs, the game would have been effectively over. Let's assume that Rio would have scored in approximately 1 second on the inbound pass. It would have reasonably taken Bella Vista at least 1.5 seconds to find the ball before the 5 second count would have started. This would have left 5.8 seconds left when the 5 second violation occurred. Assume an additional 1.5 seconds for the inbound pass followed by the time for the 3 point shot to get to the basket. Assume another 1.5 seconds to find the ball and their would be 2.8 seconds remaining. No need for Bella Vista to inbound the ball having an additional 5 seconds to inbound the ball.

Even with time outs, the likelihood that a team could come from 8 points down in 12.3 seconds is so unlikely that it does not make sense to continue the game. Also, I do not know the particular rules in place for such protests. It is possible that the committee viewed the situation above and deemed going forward to be without merit.

Last edited by CMHCoachNRef; Fri Feb 13, 2009 at 01:44pm.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
Bella Vista was awarded six total free throws for:
2 Free Throws for the intentional foul,
2 Free Throws for the initial technical foul (the player continued to hold on to the rebounder after the whistle),
2 Free Throws for the second technical foul (the player twisted the player to the ground well after the whistle had been blowing).

Rio was to have been awarded two free throws for:
2 Free Throws for having FEWER bench personnel leave the bench area during the fight than Bella Vista had (1 coach vs. 7 players and 2 coaches). Per NFHS rules, no more than 2 FTs are awarded during such situations regardless of the number of bench personnel from each team -- 0 FTs if the number of bench personnel is the same.

Had the game been resumed, the score would have been about 61 - 53 (it was 56 - 51 at the start of the fouling, Bella Vista's players made 5 of six FTs and Rio's shooter made 17 of 18 FTs -- I think he made the first two) with 12.3 seconds remaining. Even though Rio likely would have gotten the ball at the Division Line since the bench technical would have been last in the sequence, the score difference was 8 points. I do not know the time out situation, but if Rio was out of time outs, the game would have been effectively over. Let's assume that Rio would have scored in approximately 1 second on the inbound pass. It would have reasonably taken Bella Vista at least 1.5 seconds to find the ball before the 5 second count would have started. This would have left 5.8 seconds left when the 5 second violation occurred. Assume an additional 1.5 seconds for the inbound pass followed by the time for the 3 point shot to get to the basket. Assume another 1.5 seconds to find the ball and their would be 2.8 seconds remaining. No need for Bella Vista to inbound the ball having an additional 5 seconds to inbound the ball.

Even with time outs, the likelihood that a team could come from 8 points down in 12.3 seconds is so unlikely that it does not make sense to continue the game. Also, I do not know the particular rules in place for such protests. It is possible that the committee viewed the situation above and deemed going forward to be without merit.
If they were saying they errored with the amount of free throws and chose to replay the final 12.3 I would think they would go back to the score prior to all free throws and then shoot the correct amount of free throws and play from there. Who knows what would have happened.