The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Reversed HR question

Baseball's not my sport, so I'm a fanboy on this one.

Kind of curious what effect the new instant replay rule will have in MLB. What is the effect of an erroneous HR signal on a fair ball that is later overruled (either by the umpires during a conference or, now, after replay)? Is the BR or other runners at risk of being put out, is it a dead ball when the umpire signals HR, and what bases are awarded. (I'm thinking of a ball that remains in play.)
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quoting the story on MLB.com:
Quote:
Any decision regarding the placement of runners, should a home run call be reversed, will be made by the crew chief. As is done in cases of fan interference, the crew chief will place the baserunners where he believes they would have been had the call been made properly.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

[
Quote:
QUOTE=rulesmaven]Baseball's not my sport, so I'm a fanboy on this one.

Kind of curious what effect the new instant replay rule will have in MLB. What is the effect of an erroneous HR signal on a fair ball that is later overruled (either by the umpires during a conference or, now, after replay)? Is the BR or other runners at risk of being put out, is it a dead ball when the umpire signals HR, and what bases are awarded. (I'm thinking of a ball that remains in play.)
[/QUOTE]

For the most part if a HR is disallowed it is a book rule double meaning in either case the ball is dead and you simply place the runners.

Yes there are those rare occassions when the ball is not a HR or a book rule double ie: hits below a yellow line and the umpire ruled an HR and the ball was in play. In that case the umpires rule accordingly ie; the bases the runners would have normally achieved had the ball been ruled correctly.

IMO, the umpires should still hustle to get into poper position to make the call and not use the fall-back position " Heck if I get it wrong replay will correct it".

What I think might happen in years to come is that more plays will be added now that replay is introduced similar to when the NFL institutued Replay. each year the rule was tweaked to include more plays.

Pete Booth
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 09:17pm
Veteran College Umpire

Aside from getting an occasional call changed, the biggest thing that replay will do to the game is slow it down. That's not good when all we've heard for the past few years is "speed up the game....keep the game moving.." I guess when millions of bucks are on the line that replay is more important.
I wonder how many "challenges" (if you will) will be allowed per game, and where that umpire will be that reviews the replay? I can see the UIC saying, "I'll be right back everyone...you folks at home watch a few more commercials - I have to look at a tape and maybe make a quick pit stop "
They'll have to prove to me that it's a valuable, workable tool before I'll say it's a good thing.

JJ
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

It might actually save time, if it leads to a quick and definite ruling, as opposed to the prolonged back-and-forth arguments, with one manager coming out to complain, every umpire on the field huddling to hash things out, then the other manager coming out for an explanation and to blow off a little steam.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan
It might actually save time, if it leads to a quick and definite ruling, as opposed to the prolonged back-and-forth arguments, with one manager coming out to complain, every umpire on the field huddling to hash things out, then the other manager coming out for an explanation and to blow off a little steam.
Bretman in addition Replay will most likely save a manager from getting Ej'd especially someone like Lou Pinella.

Pete Booth
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
Bretman in addition Replay will most likely save a manager from getting Ej'd especially someone like Lou Pinella.

Pete Booth
who by the way thought that this (instant replay) will be a "fiasco"

I would be curious to see how many homeruns or not, that would be subject to review this year alone...

I'm thinking that this is a non-issue in the grand scheme of things, but it opens the door to many more "plays" where instant replay will be talked about..that's all we need
Old Thu Aug 28, 2008, 12:49am
rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel
who by the way thought that this (instant replay) will be a "fiasco"

I would be curious to see how many homeruns or not, that would be subject to review this year alone...

I'm thinking that this is a non-issue in the grand scheme of things, but it opens the door to many more "plays" where instant replay will be talked about..that's all we need
Yeah, the sky is falling!

Everybody thought the "get the call right" thing in NCAA was going to turn every game into a sh*thouse. Guess what? It didn't, and the ability for the crew to get together on certain situations, compare notes, and make a revised ruling has led to more calls being right than ever before.

Folks, welcome to the 21st Century!
Old Thu Aug 28, 2008, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

That's a link to a story on "replay central".
Old Thu Aug 28, 2008, 06:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei
Yeah, the sky is falling!

Everybody thought the "get the call right" thing in NCAA was going to turn every game into a sh*thouse. Guess what? It didn't, and the ability for the crew to get together on certain situations, compare notes, and make a revised ruling has led to more calls being right than ever before.

Folks, welcome to the 21st Century!
The only problem that I have with the whole "get the call right" thing is that I feel that it is over used. Instead of being a "tool" as it was intended, it is becoming a "crutch" as many of our fellows are not getting their calls as they used to. I don't mind getting together to discuss an interference or obstruction call, nor do I mind discussing a double vs home run. But having "board meetings" on every other call is getting ridiculous!