The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Funny Situation....

Working a Boys Jr High tournament consolation game, 3rd quarter. I'm at the Trail position far side.

(Preface: A1 and B1 knew each other and were trying to outperform each other all game)

A1 is 5 feet away from me behind the 3 pt arc with B1 guarding him. A1 dribbles and pulls up for the 3 pt shot...I signal the 3pt attempt...swish...bottom of the net....I signal the successful 3pt shot. A1, B1, and myself turn around to run up the court when I see A1 waving his hand in front of his face while smiling at B1.

(Some of you may have seen this hand waving thing in college football this past season.)

Quite surprised this 8th grader just did this, I blew the whistle and signaled the "T" (for taunting). As I walk across the court to the table A1 is telling me "I just did this" (and waves his hand across his face). I'm laughing inside and say "You can't do that #23".

I report the technical and Coach A of course says "What did he do?". I'm thinking you're not going to get me to wave my hand across my face so I say "#23 tell your coach what you did". #23 says "Coach I just did this" signaling the hand waving. Then he says "But Coach he told me something". The Coach looks at me and says "Well you need to watch the other kid too".

I'm thinking to myself I was less than 5 ft away and didn't hear anything...not saying it couldn't happen but I didn't see or hear the defender do anything. I tell the coach, "No problem Coach I'm watching".

As I turn to walk to the far side division line, I see #23 on the way to the bench say "Coach he called me a b*tch". I hear a few giggles from Team A players and I continue walking away thinking to myself 'wow I heard it all'. LOL!!!

(And no I am not giving a T for a kid repeating to his coach something he may or may not have heard from an opponent)

FYI I did have a little talk with the defender before we put the ball in play at the division line.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

If I know it is clear that 2 kids are friends I am usually just tell them to cut that stuff off. In the case you described I would not have T'd.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 12:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
If I know it is clear that 2 kids are friends I am usually just tell them to cut that stuff off. In the case you described I would not have T'd.
Jr. High ball? Easy T.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Because I have a 17 year old, the hand in front of the face is a WWF thing, it means something like " you can't see me".

I wouldn't have "T"ed the kid for that, I don't think, but I also think you have to be there to see how it's done. I've called worse "T"s trust me.....
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Break kids of that nonsense early, and it won't have to be dealt with at the higher levels (yeah, right). I am sure you HTBT, but I have no problem with that T. Taunting quite often leads to other extra-curricular activity . . .
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure I get that one unless there has been some other stuff going on, HTBT, but I have not problem with giving it.

got to cure the knuckle heads early in life before the damage is irriversible