The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   5 Second Count question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51556-5-second-count-question.html)

Spence Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:25am

5 Second Count question

Do we suspend the 5 second count/closely guarded count when the player starts his/her drive to the basket? Lets say we have the count going out top and we get to 3 with the player dribbling in place. He then makes a move toward the rim with his defender right on his hip.

Do we suspend the count?

What is the criteria for stopping the count assuming the defender is still closely guarding the player with the ball?

Mark Padgett Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:27am

Here's a hint:

http://www.thefreecenter.com/wp-cont...shoulders2.jpg

biz Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:27am

Head and shoulders by the defender ASFAIK.

bas2456 Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:27am

The way I've always interpreted it is that if the ballhandler makes an obvious move towards the basket, then I stop counting. If he takes one step, or takes a slow step without really making an effort, then I keep counting.

BktBallRef Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:28am

If he gets his head and shoulders past the defender, the counts ends.

biz Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:28am

Dammit! Mark you're quick!

Raymond Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 577683)

Do we suspend the count?

There is no "suspension" of a 5-second count, detention maybe.

Seriously though, if your count ends then you to have start all over again, you don't resume where you left off.

Spence Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 577685)

That's the kind of answer that both makes me laugh and one that will stick with me.

Thanks

Spence Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:50am

A buddy of mine asked me if in college the rule counts if the person with the ball penetrates the 28 foot line.

??

deecee Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 577687)
The way I've always interpreted it is that if the ballhandler makes an obvious move towards the basket, then I stop counting. If he takes one step, or takes a slow step without really making an effort, then I keep counting.

This is incorrect. The defender can stay with the offensive player and mainting his guarding position. The count will continue. You can even have a 5 second violation on a drive to the hoop. The only way the count ends is if the offensive players gets head and shoulders PAST the defender or if the defender loses his legal guarding position or if he backs up more than 6 feet.

bas2456 Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 577710)
This is incorrect. The defender can stay with the offensive player and mainting his guarding position. The count will continue. You can even have a 5 second violation on a drive to the hoop. The only way the count ends is if the offensive players gets head and shoulders PAST the defender or if the defender loses his legal guarding position or if he backs up more than 6 feet.

Is there an NFHS rule or interpretation that says this? I don't have a rulebook handy. The NCAA rulebook doesn't say anything about this.

Mark Padgett Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by biz (Post 577690)
Dammit! Mark you're quick!

You sound like my wife. :o

Adam Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 577739)
Is there an NFHS rule or interpretation that says this? I don't have a rulebook handy. The NCAA rulebook doesn't say anything about this.

What you need to find is the rule or interp that says you suspend the count if they're driving to the basket. As long as all the requirements are being met by the defense, you continue your count.

Adam Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 577710)

I'm curious, where does it say that when the defender loses LGP the count stops?

More importantly, once LGP is gained, what can he possibly do to lose it?

mick Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 577746)
More importantly, once LGP is gained, what can he possibly do to lose it?

He can contact the opponent from the side....:)