The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Worse and Best in one night

Last nights scheduled game was not one I was particularly looking forward to, but I have accepted the fact that I was not contracted to do only the big ones.

The game was a GV contest between the district leaders (15-1) and the next to last place team (1-15). Partner and I pregamed game management practices such as keeping the clock running as much as possible and calling all obvious fouls on both teams.

Game starts and we can tell that home team (the 1-15 with only six players)does not want to be there. 1st quarter its 30-4, 2nd quarter its 50-10 with visitors still pressing, stealing, and laying up. I have several quick talks with home players and coach as their frustration starts showing.

Third quarter starts the same way until visitors guard loses ball next to the sideline in front of home bench and as home tries to secure the ball, visitor runs over her, knocking her to the floor( where she lays crying) and is called for the foul. Visitors coach did not see his guard lose the ball and can't understand why his girl was called for the foul. My in-brain play back video is not working and I am having trouble explaining to the coach why I called the foul on his girl, until partner reminds me the ball was loose. Something about that foul gets home team in the mood to start really playing and end of 3rd quarter score is 73-16.

This is where the whole night starts to change for me. 4th quarter is a slightly different game with home deciding finally to finish strong. Then, while standing on the sideline during a time-out, V boys ref comes to me and says "one of the crew members forgot to put his bag in his car", and wants to know if I can stay and do the V boys game after the girls game. Girls game ends in uneventful fashion when visitors stop pressing with 3 minutes left and practice their 4 corners stall. Final score 81-21 and I'm so glad to hear the final horn as these games seem to last for hours.

Quick pregame with the boys crew, ball goes up and we are off to the races again. Takes a couple of times up and down the floor to get use to the difference in speed and play of the boys and to mentally switch between 2 person and 3 person mechanics. Great game to officiate with only a few coach interjections. Final score in this game is 53-49 and it seemed to be over in no time.

Time goes so much faster when you are having fun!
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 01:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

You do girls 2 person and boys 3 person? Interesting, Title IX hasn't made it to Virginia?

Sounds like a fun night, though, thanks for sharing.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
You do girls 2 person and boys 3 person? Interesting, Title IX hasn't made it to Virginia?
Our board contracts with individual school districts and independent schools, and all of the contracts are different. AAA schools district is using 3 person boys and 2 person girls while AA district schools are using 3 person for all varsity boys and girls games. Most independent schools and small associations are using 2 person for everything. Seems strange for the larger schools not to be using 3 person for their girls games, but it usually boils down to $ or lack thereof.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 01:28pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjo View Post

Visitors coach did not see his guard lose the ball and can't understand why his girl was called for the foul. My in-brain play back video is not working and I am having trouble explaining to the coach why I called the foul on his girl, until partner reminds me the ball was loose.

I'm missing something here. If the coach didn't even know his player had lost the ball, it sounds like he didn't see the play at all, so how could he argue about what was or wasn't a foul. Also, you couldn't explain why it was a foul without the fact that the ball was loose? This makes it sound like a player in control of the ball can't commit a foul. The phrase "knocking her to the floor" kind of speaks for itself, no matter where the ball was.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I'm missing something here. If the coach didn't even know his player had lost the ball, it sounds like he didn't see the play at all, so how could he argue about what was or wasn't a foul. Also, you couldn't explain why it was a foul without the fact that the ball was loose? This makes it sound like a player in control of the ball can't commit a foul. The phrase "knocking her to the floor" kind of speaks for itself, no matter where the ball was.
Probably wasn't too clear on that - Visitor was dribbling up the sideline in her front court and ball got away from her. Home was guarding visitor in front and went for the ball after it got away from her. Visitor also went for the ball, but home was in more of an advantagous position and got knocked down.

If visitor had control and was dribbling, the contact probably would have been a block or push by home. This is what coach could not see. With so much going on at the moment, I lost my instant replay and had trouble replaying the stich to the coach. Hope that explains.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 12:14am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Sounds like a fun night, though, thanks for sharing.
I don't think Title IX applies to the amount of officials contracted for a game.

It's weird because for the Quarter-finals of the district play-offs they only use 2-man also but then for the semi's and finals they use 3.

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Feb 09, 2009 at 12:41am.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 12:21am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I don't Title IX applies to the amount of officials contracted for a game.

It's wierd because for the Quarter-finals of the district play-offs they only use 2-man also but then for the semi's and finals they use 3.
I'm surprised, as it could easily be interpreted that the schools are spending more money on their boys games than the girls games.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 12:43am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I'm surprised, as it could easily be interpreted that the schools are spending more money on their boys games than the girls games.
I see where you're coming from but I think (and I'm no expert) that the gist of Title IX may be $$$ spent to ensure equal participatory opportunities.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 03:47am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I see where you're coming from but I think (and I'm no expert) that the gist of Title IX may be $$$ spent to ensure equal participatory opportunities.
I'm no Title IX expert nor apologist, you may be right.

Note: not that I'm against Title IX, I just think it's caused a few problems. Whether the benefits were worth the problems is debatable, but I'll admit far more good has come than bad.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 09:11am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
"one of the crew members forgot to put his bag in his car"
I've heard of opening up your bag and realizing you forgot a shirt or some other item, but I've never ever heard of leaving the entire bag at home!!!
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
:.
Partner and I pregamed game management practices such as keeping the clock running as much as possible .....
OK, I plead ignorance. Considering that it sounded like you didnt want to be there, how do you pregame that/what do you do, or not normally do, to keep the clock running?..
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Congrats Randy. Sounds like you had fun.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 11:05am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel View Post
OK, I plead ignorance. Considering that it sounded like you didnt want to be there, how do you pregame that/what do you do, or not normally do, to keep the clock running?..
Game management.